• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intro: First boat shopping. Been dreaming of a Yamaha for years. Buyer's guide?

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm glad I found this forum. I've been dreaming of getting a jet boat for years. I grew up on a small 19' boat my dad owned fishing and wakeboarding. I've owned a jetski for quite a few years, but sold that when kids came along. My dad has a nice sea worthy 24' fishing boat we go out on periodically, but I constantly browse for a jet boat to have and use with my family.

Is there a buyer's guide on the forum? Things to look for, models to stay away from, etc?

I always liked the thought of the older dual 2stroke boats because I can fix that myself no problem.
How hard is it to work on/repair the newer models?

Things I am considering:
Looking for used boat
Something 21 ft give or take because we are a family of 5.
Good for water sports, cruising, lounging, and the occasional freshwater fishing.
New England is a short season, so that's the biggest hurdle for me to get over. Not sure if owning a boat here makes financial sense when I can only use it 1/3 or so of the year and I already have access to a boat.

It's also hard to find a boat locally. Seems inventory is scarce lately.

Looking for any input, comments, suggestions.

Thanks

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm glad I found this forum. I've been dreaming of getting a jet boat for years. I grew up on a small 19' boat my dad owned fishing and wakeboarding. I've owned a jetski for quite a few years, but sold that when kids came along. My dad has a nice sea worthy 24' fishing boat we go out on periodically, but I constantly browse for a jet boat to have and use with my family.

Is there a buyer's guide on the forum? Things to look for, models to stay away from, etc?

I always liked the thought of the older dual 2stroke boats because I can fix that myself no problem.
How hard is it to work on/repair the newer models?

Things I am considering:
Looking for used boat
Something 21 ft give or take because we are a family of 5.
Good for water sports, cruising, lounging, and the occasional freshwater fishing.
New England is a short season, so that's the biggest hurdle for me to get over. Not sure if owning a boat here makes financial sense when I can only use it 1/3 or so of the year and I already have access to a boat.

It's also hard to find a boat locally. Seems inventory is scarce lately.

Looking for any input, comments, suggestions.

Thanks
I just purchased a used 2015 AR192 just last week. I can answer this part of your questions right off the bat. A boat will never make financial sense...we rationalized the purchase as you can't put a price on making memories with your kids.
We live in Alberta Canada and we will be lucky to get a 2 month boating season this year as we are half way thru June and have only had 2 nice days so far, so the length of the season is, you can't put a price on making memories with your kids.

As for what model to look at a 212X might check all the boxes for you....very little maintenance required and would be very reliable. You better act quick as it's my understanding that there is a shortage of boats all across North America because everyone is buying them up as there isn't anything else to do this summer.

Hope that helps,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is no "Buyers Guide" on the forum.....but we do love to help other people spend their money! :cool:

There are no "true" 2 stroke 21' Yamahas. They made a boat (that I owned) called an LX210, but it was really a 19' boat with a 2' swim platform bolted on. I'd say you should be looking for an AR210 (4 cycle model-as they also made a 19' AR210).

Right now is the tightest market for boats I've ever seen! Huge demand and limited supply due to factories being closed.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I've been looking for a good deal on an older AR210 with the dual 1100's, but the lack of interior space has me second guessing that choice.
You're saying it's only 21' because of the swim platform?
How did you like the LX210?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah don't buy boats and look at them as investments or try to figure out what they might be worth in X years. Figure your purchase is money down on memories you'll never forget. (except for that one time at the sandbar when the kids were off at camp and someone brought the gallon jug of margaritas...) Yamaha has a great brand name to stand on, so they do hold value better than many, but still, it's a boat.

RE: used boats, you're usually buying someone else's problem. Talk to your credit union / bank, most lend 7-15 years on a new boat. Take advantage of low rates and a slightly higher residual value and buy the boat you actually want. IF you are financing, the monthly 3 year on a used boat will be only slightly less than your payment on a new boat if stretched out.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Doubt I would finance it. Just thinking of finding a good deal and pay cash. I haven’t found the best rates for used or new boats. I cant imagine financing boat for 7-15 years. 20k at 15years event at 4.5% would cost 7k+ in interest 😳

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've been looking for a good deal on an older AR210 with the dual 1100's, but the lack of interior space has me second guessing that choice.
You're saying it's only 21' because of the swim platform?
How did you like the LX210?
Have you physically been in a AR210? I have a 2010 SX210, same as the AR210 but without the factory tower, and there is plenty of room for a family of 5 and it fits all of the needs that you mentioned.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Have you physically been in a AR210? I have a 2010 SX210, same as the AR210 but without the factory tower, and there is plenty of room for a family of 5 and it fits all of the needs that you mentioned.
I have not. I was thinking the older AR210 would be too small, which is actually 19'.
A 2010 similar to yours would definitely be big enough.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not. I was thinking the older AR210 would be too small, which is actually 19'.
A 2010 similar to yours would definitely be big enough.
Even the new 19ft boats will be larger than the older 210's. The new 210's are VERY roomy for a family of 5.

We have a family of 4 on our '17 AR190 all the time, and one additional child (I assume its 2 parents, 3 kids) would be ZERO problem there. The 19ft Yamaha's hit above their class on interior space IMO.

TravisL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m in a similar spot. I have a 98’ 19’ Larson 206 5.0 merc. We bought it as our entry into boating but even when we bought it I wanted a Yamaha. A close friend who has passed, had a 2006(or so) AR230 HO and I was in love with that boat. I’m a little lost at all the variants and the differences in models and years. One thing he did impress upon me was to try and stay as new as you can. I’d like to stay under $30k and may not be able to get a twin engine boat unless I go with a 10+ yr old machine. The AR195 would be roomier than I have even though my boat is rated for 11. We really just cruise and tube on small fresh water lakes so I’m sure any of the line up would suit. Finding them for sale seems very tough and shopping around maybe nearly impossible.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Even the new 19ft boats will be larger than the older 210's. The new 210's are VERY roomy for a family of 5.

We have a family of 4 on our '17 AR190 all the time, and one additional child (I assume its 2 parents, 3 kids) would be ZERO problem there. The 19ft Yamaha's hit above their class on interior space IMO.
Off topic....Are you the same 2kwik4u on syty.net?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@hatrik8 I have a 2020 AR210 and there is a great deal of room. I get 6-8 on it with full gear and still find the room to inflate the damn Super Mable HD 3 person.

moosenumerotres

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
hatrik8 - my wife and I drive a Yamaha 210 FSH Sport Deluxe - we use it for fishing (12 rod holders, live well + aerator, under seat ice chest), cruising (even in cold weather though it doesn't get that cold in Galveston) and water sports (swimming, pulling tubes and skiers). Usually have one set of kids / grandkids or the other. Rated for 10 passengers we put 8 plus tubing gear, ropes, coolers, fishing gear and food and everyone is comfortable. Grannie likes sitting on back (not swim deck) and watching skiers. For swimming and sking the swim deck and extendable ladder are great, especially for launching tubes or wakeboards. I also do not have to make trips to the clinic to put stitches on kid's feet that come in contact with a sharp prop (yes, I have done that myself). The twin TR1's makes it maneuverable at dock and trailer approach speeds. With 8 the boat will go 45 mph with 8 loaded and best cruise is about 6500 rpm (about 35 to 38 mph - wind /current dependent) at 3+ miles per gallon. Lessons learned: I am over sixty and been handling boats since 6 or 7 either outboards, inboards (Gulf fishing), outboards (bays and lakes) and inboard/outdrives. Low speed maneuvering with a T Top and high wind and current can be a challenge. Some aftermarket fixes for this but for me, we can handle it. New boat comes with a trailer (Shorelander) so easy to pull out and trailer. Also, you cannot linger in idle in less than 3 feet or you will suck in whatever is on the seabed into the grates and if small enough, the cooling system. Same with running over hydrilla, etc on lakes. That's where a ten foot boat hook comes in handy to pole yourself out of there or a trolling motor which can be mounted on the front.. Working in the engine hatch on TR1s is not the easiest thing to do.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Off topic....Are you the same 2kwik4u on syty.net?
One and the same. Had this username since the late '90's......Back in the IRC days :D :D

Additional off topic I was at every single SyTy Nationals from like 2003 on. Whatever the first year at KC was, until the last one in '11 I think at Bowling Green. Many Many Many shenanigans from that group of guys. Myself and Jeff Scott (Ty1295) are good friends, Jeremy (Six-is-Enough) was the best man in my wedding. Mike Hardman (rare posts, I think his name was Heavy Breather or some such madness)........SOO many memories from that group of friends.

*edit*......I would be wrong to not mention that the people here are every bit as cool, or cooler than those on SyTy.net. If I was to ever show up at a Yamaha meet I would have zero issues handing the keys to my boat to any of the members here and not thinking another second about it. I suspect most other members here would be the same way. While the jetboat market is a bit larger than SyTy land, the community is JUST as tight. It comes with it's fair share of "infighting", and "squabbles", but in the end we would all sit down and drink a beer and chat about it in a civilized manner, regardless of how aggressively we defend our position online......except for @ClemsonTiger, he's the only one banned, ever, that I'm aware of. That dude was a dick.

Last edited:

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
hatrik8 - my wife and I drive a Yamaha 210 FSH Sport Deluxe - we use it for fishing (12 rod holders, live well + aerator, under seat ice chest), cruising (even in cold weather though it doesn't get that cold in Galveston) and water sports (swimming, pulling tubes and skiers). Usually have one set of kids / grandkids or the other. Rated for 10 passengers we put 8 plus tubing gear, ropes, coolers, fishing gear and food and everyone is comfortable. Grannie likes sitting on back (not swim deck) and watching skiers. For swimming and sking the swim deck and extendable ladder are great, especially for launching tubes or wakeboards. I also do not have to make trips to the clinic to put stitches on kid's feet that come in contact with a sharp prop (yes, I have done that myself). The twin TR1's makes it maneuverable at dock and trailer approach speeds. With 8 the boat will go 45 mph with 8 loaded and best cruise is about 6500 rpm (about 35 to 38 mph - wind /current dependent) at 3+ miles per gallon. Lessons learned: I am over sixty and been handling boats since 6 or 7 either outboards, inboards (Gulf fishing), outboards (bays and lakes) and inboard/outdrives. Low speed maneuvering with a T Top and high wind and current can be a challenge. Some aftermarket fixes for this but for me, we can handle it. New boat comes with a trailer (Shorelander) so easy to pull out and trailer. Also, you cannot linger in idle in less than 3 feet or you will suck in whatever is on the seabed into the grates and if small enough, the cooling system. Same with running over hydrilla, etc on lakes. That's where a ten foot boat hook comes in handy to pole yourself out of there or a trolling motor which can be mounted on the front.. Working in the engine hatch on TR1s is not the easiest thing to do.
Thanks for the info. My son would be extremely happy if we got a 210 FSH. He's obsessed with fishing

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
One and the same. Had this username since the late '90's......Back in the IRC days :D :D

Additional off topic I was at every single SyTy Nationals from like 2003 on. Whatever the first year at KC was, until the last one in '11 I think at Bowling Green. Many Many Many shenanigans from that group of guys. Myself and Jeff Scott (Ty1295) are good friends, Jeremy (Six-is-Enough) was the best man in my wedding. Mike Hardman (rare posts, I think his name was Heavy Breather or some such madness)........SOO many memories from that group of friends.

*edit*......I would be wrong to not mention that the people here are every bit as cool, or cooler than those on SyTy.net. If I was to ever show up at a Yamaha meet I would have zero issues handing the keys to my boat to any of the members here and not thinking another second about it. I suspect most other members here would be the same way. While the jetboat market is a bit larger than SyTy land, the community is JUST as tight. It comes with it's fair share of "infighting", and "squabbles", but in the end we would all sit down and drink a beer and chat about it in a civilized manner, regardless of how aggressively we defend our position online......except for @ClemsonTiger, he's the only one banned, ever, that I'm aware of. That dude was a dick.
:D Cool. I saw the screen name and thought to myself I definitely have seen the same on syty. Unfortunately I never made it to Nationals. I was hoping to take my SY to Carlisle at some point since that seems like a great event.
Still have a truck?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:D Cool. I saw the screen name and thought to myself I definitely have seen the same on syty. Unfortunately I never made it to Nationals. I was hoping to take my SY to Carlisle at some point since that seems like a great event.
Still have a truck?
Fun fact........never had one registered in my name. Owned a Typhoon for about 6hrs once, but didn't make it to the DMV before we decided the trade wasn't right for either of us. That was a debacle and a half. Had a number of them in my possession for weeks/months on end, but never owned them. Usually had them to do wrench work or tuning on them. I know them inside and out, and have rebuilt just about every piece in them at one time or another.

I never made it to Carlisle. Lot of the S10 guys go every year, and I considered it once or twice. In all honesty, once I bought a boat I left a good portion of my "Car Guy" hobby behind.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Fun fact........never had one registered in my name. Owned a Typhoon for about 6hrs once, but didn't make it to the DMV before we decided the trade wasn't right for either of us. That was a debacle and a half. Had a number of them in my possession for weeks/months on end, but never owned them. Usually had them to do wrench work or tuning on them. I know them inside and out, and have rebuilt just about every piece in them at one time or another.

I never made it to Carlisle. Lot of the S10 guys go every year, and I considered it once or twice. In all honesty, once I bought a boat I left a good portion of my "Car Guy" hobby behind.
Not sure I like your answer :) going from "car guy" to boat owner. That might be my future. lol
My wife wants me to sell one of the vehicles and get a boat which would have to be the SY.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure I like your answer :) going from "car guy" to boat owner. That might be my future. lol
My wife wants me to sell one of the vehicles and get a boat which would have to be the SY.
Rest at ease. I've seen far more bikinis from the drivers seat of my boat than I ever saw at a car show. It's a pretty easy trade IMO. :D :D

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

That's funny you mentioned leaving the "Car Guy" hobby behind...I had S10 on Nitrous and the SYTY guys near me would let me hang out with them...I got married and sold the truck....I figured getting a boat would be a nice replacement hobby and the whole family can come along, that's how I sold it to my wife anyways....so far it's been pretty good (2 weeks since we had the boat)