• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intro from Kansas

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
nice boat. I'm on the sidelines right now trying to make a decision on which way I want to go. If Yamaha, I will be looking at the same boat. I really like the electronic options on the E-series. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the boat.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations... you and the family will have many great memories and life events on the water... enjoy all.
and... welcome to the best forum EVA!

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
nice boat. I'm on the sidelines right now trying to make a decision on which way I want to go. If Yamaha, I will be looking at the same boat. I really like the electronic options on the E-series. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the boat.
The e-series is what sold me on Yamaha . I am pleased with the articulating keel so far and have had a tough time understanding the negative attention these boats receive on low speed maneuverability. Patience, planning, and small corrections are really the key. These boats will move in any direction you want as long as you consider where the thrust is coming from and the fact that all movement originates at the stern.

The connext system as a whole is pretty awesome. I have not used the joystick much but use the touchscreen mostly. I am sure this will change as I get used to it. The electronic throttle is fantastic! I especially like the single lever option. Push button cruise assist and no wake modes are really cool and quite useful. The lighting controls are great and other drive controls have been mostly unused at this point but I expect to get full use out of them once the water warms up enough get wet and create personal profiles. Push button start and push button stop times 2... Need I say more??? The electronics are great. The menus take a little getting used to but have been well thought out and are easily navigated. I would like to be able to power the independent gauges and see fuel level and engine hours without starting the engines. It might be possible already and I just have not read it or figured it out yet.

Acceleration is awesome and turning is sooooo much fun at speed and under throttle. The noise level is pretty impressive for a high rpm twin engine boat. Closing the center window and door at the bow walk through blocks nearly all wind for the kids and I like being able to have plenty of room to walk under the wake tower being 6' tall.

I am a cheapskate and often develop a severe case of buyers remorse. I have not had an ounce of regret with this purchase.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on purchasing a beautiful boat. Love the write-up and glad you are enjoying the new boat. You will soon discover that this forum is one of the best reasons to own a Yamaha. This is especially true for you since you do not have a dealer nearby.

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for welcoming me everyone. I do have one small complaint at this point. My tower rattles... The plastic bushing on the port side is oversized so it does not hold the pin tight and allows the tower to move. At this point that is my biggest complaint but I can not stand rattling noises. I have rigged a temporary solution using plastic strips but will need to get in contact with someone who can send me a proper sized bushing. Any suggestions on who to contact since I do not have a local dealer? Is it common to contact Yamaha direct?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a cheapskate and often develop a severe case of buyers remorse. I have not had an ounce of regret with this purchase.
I suffer from the same disease and after 6 years I still love my boat and don't mind spending money on it (especially since I've not had to invest in any non-scheduled maintenance)!

I bought my boat used so I have had no interaction with a dealer but most people unfortunately have very little luck with the dealer and even less with Yamaha direct. Give you dealer a chance but don't be surprised if you or the forum find the answer and let us know what works so it can help another member.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very nice boat! Glad to have another Kansas member!! There aren't many of us since there aren't any dealers close! Where did you end up purchasing at?

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I called all over the country and the best deal I found was in Shawnee Oklahoma. I tried another place in Oklahoma first but I chose not to do business with them due their employment of a sales manager who is very condescending and unprofessional. Everyone else there was really great though.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for welcoming me everyone. I do have one small complaint at this point. My tower rattles... The plastic bushing on the port side is oversized so it does not hold the pin tight and allows the tower to move. At this point that is my biggest complaint but I can not stand rattling noises. I have rigged a temporary solution using plastic strips but will need to get in contact with someone who can send me a proper sized bushing. Any suggestions on who to contact since I do not have a local dealer? Is it common to contact Yamaha direct?
You could try calling Yamaha customer service. Their phone number is on this site somewhere.

But here's a link to a dealership that does online orders and could take care of you too. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Adrenalinejunky and congrats on the boat! Just call the selling dealer and tell them what is going on. Send pictures and anything they need to see. Of course they are going to say, just bring it in. But you may be able to get them to help you since you are out of town. Are they the nearest dealer to you? If they can't or won't, I agree with @itsdgm , and would have you call mother Yamaha customer service and get them to look into it. If the selling dealer sells many boats, they have run into this before and know what it needs. Good luck with it, it is just a small thing in the joy of boat ownership. And once again, welcome aboard!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on the new boat! I loved test driving the 242X last year and really have the desire to get an E-Series....just need to build up the $ as I don't like to finance boats.

The comments above on the rattle are right on....dealer first then Yamaha if they can't help. Also, someone on the forum may have experienced this and know how it was solved....time will tell.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks to all of you for the great information. The closet dealer to me is around a 165 miles. I will call them and see what they can help with. I would prefer to just get another bushing to make it easy. I am very capable of solving the problem but have a difficult time committing to a permanent fix when I believe it should not be an issue to begin with. The good news is... The weather will be great this weekend and I see at least 2 days of boating in the forecast!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This always seems to come off wrong, and isn't intended to be critical of you or your situation. But many times, a person will look at the cost of something "new" they just bought, and look at it like it shouldn't have cost them the time, trouble, or money...on a "new" to them, anything! I don't blame someone a bit. I had similar issues with a "new to us" motorhome, that had a dealer warranty (30 days) and an extended warranty of 3 years/36K miles. I have had a ton of issues, and believe me, I want to cast the same blame as you, and really, on a coach they claim to have gone thru, should I have these big issues? I found out very quickly, that the guys on the forum (DOAI), that had BRAND NEW $250,000 DOLLARS coaches, that they had the same problems one would think you wouldn't have on a brand new coach, boat, car, truck...just about anything. I fly Boeing jets for a living. We have been getting new airplanes every month now for 2 years. I fly brand new airplanes frequently, and they too have issues...and they cost 50 to 150 MILLION a piece, depending on model. So heres the deal, you have a warranty, and it sucks that you have to use it, and the caveats around it. I know it sucks too, to buy a boat out of your area, and then have zero dealer support. Trust me when I tell you, that knowing someone, and having a very good relationship with them, at that dealer, is paramount. If you do, you can probably get them to get the part even under warranty and send it to you, then you send them back the bad one. You need that relationship. Otherwise, when something like this happens again, and it will, you will have someone you can call. But 99% of warranty issues are going to have to be handled AT the dealer, which means taking your boat 165 miles to them and leaving it. If that isn't something you want to do, just bite the bullet and order the part on your nickel, and fix it. You can certainly try Yamaha customer service, and they may help a time, or even two. But they depend on their dealer network, and it isn't their fault you don't have one close...well, on second thought, until they have one close (and you could use that argument), they need to offer you more consideration! Again, I am not unsympathetic at all, I just know nothing is perfect, no matter the cost, and the answer is warranty. Getting that warranty service can be a real pain. I have had at least 5 items on my two Yamaha's, that I chose to fix myself, and at my cost, because the cost of losing time in the boating season for it to sit and the dealer for a week, not to mention travel time, just wasn't worth no cost vs loss of use. Let us know what the dealer or Yamaha can do for you, it is good info here and my guess is that someone before you has had a dealer or Yamaha take care of something for them going the extra mile. That won't always be the case, but they certainly try. Enjoy the upcoming good weather and the boat!

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Those types of statements do always seem to come out wrong when in text and please forgive me because the replies always do as well but I am not taking any offense and appreciate your input. This is a topic that is worthy of its own discussion and could be debated at length. That being said, I agree with you on a couple of points but I have to disagree with you on many too. When you purchase a product brand new you should expect it to work correctly, period. When something does not work as it is supposed to then the purchaser should “cast the blame” on the manufacturer. It is their fault. It is in no way, shape, or form the fault of the consumer when something was not done correctly during the manufacturing process. The consumer should not expect additional expense in the form of time, effort, or money to utilize a product that is supposed to meet a certain level of performance from the factory. From my perspective a warranty is only an insurance policy to protect the consumer. You should no more expect to use your warranty than you should expect to use your auto or homeowners insurance, especially if you have purchased a product that is being advertised as being of a higher quality from a manufacturer whose reputation is for providing quality products. If you do need to utilize that coverage then it should be done in the most cost effect and convenient manner for the customer. After all we are the customer. For a number of years I have worked in the aerospace industry as a manufacturing engineer. I have spent almost half of my life creating processes to eliminate the type of issues in the post you responded to and mention in your response. Some people are willing to accept these issues in products they buy because they are “common”. When they are common issues then the product you are paying for is becoming less of a value for what you paid for it. Some people are willing to accept that for their money. I am not. I will not lower my standards and expectations just because they are not being met.

Just to be clear, I have not contacted either Yamaha or a dealer so I currently have no problems with either one other than the fact that the rattle is quite ridiculous and will need to be resolved once I initiate contact. In this case I believe the best solution will be to request a new bushing with the proper hole size or an undrilled bushing so that I can drill it undersized to match the other holes in the tower. There should be no reason to have to take it anywhere or have it inspected. I imagine it will be around a $30-$45 part with shipping.

You didn’t mention if you worked for a private company or a government agency who is contracted to use a specific supplier for their jets. This makes all the difference in the world when it comes to your use of the example to support the problems that exist. I do not believe for a second that they are buying many 50 to 150 million dollar jets and always having them in for warrant service without being justly compensated for the trouble. There are other options available too. Now I am very familiar with Boeing jets and I can say that in some segments the options are not necessarily comparable.

The good news is I do not expect to have many warranty issues. Yes, they happen but when you consider the number of units Yamaha is selling I believe you could show that the occurrences are statistically low. I have all the confidence in the world that any issues will be worked out. I have been buying Yamaha motorsports products since 2001 and I have only filed one warranty claim due to a recall.

I am ready to do my 10 hour service this week to prepare for a 3 day weekend. The boat is performing great and the family is really enjoying it.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Great boat. You are going love spending time with your family on the water. It's been great for my crew.