• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is there any reason not to buy this chartplotter?

McMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone here use this model? Anything clunky or not intuitive about it? Looking for something easy to use on the water with easily updated charts. Is there a different model that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Mark

What model is what ?

Gah, just got booted off our work WiFi while the picture was uploading. Lol

Does anyone here use this model? Anything clunky or not intuitive about it? Looking for something easy to use on the water with easily updated charts. Is there a different model that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Mark

Umm....as @Betik said...our mind reading capabilities are not working right now...

Garmin echomap 54cv with transducer on amazon. $299

I had a different version of that. Echomaps are decent, they do the job but the interface is more than a little clunky.

The next unit I will buy will have a touch screen....if you are only using it for basic stuff this would be fine. I want to be able to quickly and easily input GPS coordinates....and you can't do that on the Garmin non-touch screen models (but Touch screens are a lot more expensive!)

I’m not against buying a better one or more expensive. I’m prepping out for a future Bimini run.

Post up recommendations. I think a 7 inch screen is as large as I need. 5 inch would fit better.

I love it! I actually think the interface is super simple to use especially with a little pre work. I have the upgraded charts so mine has the auto guidance feature turned on and that makes all the difference in the world especially if you go ahead and put a lot of your spots you will frequent on a trip all you would do is select that point in your saved spots and hit navigate to and it does all the work for you. Only thing I would say is this doesn’t come with the Bahamas preloaded so it’s really more then $299 for this to work I think I paid more the $299 just for the upgraded charts but they are worth every penny as it makes the unit more functional

Consider the price of maps. The Dragonfly 5M I have (for the same money) came with Nav+ maps of US and Bahamas, extremely accurate. It has a terrible interface, but once loaded - fantastically simple and reliable.
(chartplotter only version)

--

I love it! I actually think the interface is super simple to use especially with a little pre work. I have the upgraded charts so mine has the auto guidance feature turned on and that makes all the difference in the world especially if you go ahead and put a lot of your spots you will frequent on a trip all you would do is select that point in your saved spots and hit navigate to and it does all the work for you. Only thing I would say is this doesn’t come with the Bahamas preloaded so it’s really more then $299 for this to work I think I paid more the $299 just for the upgraded charts but they are worth every penny as it makes the unit more functional

I agree that preloading endpoints is the only way this unit is useable. Entering coordinates manually is a ROYAL PITA! I tried and gave up it was so tedious - I just used Navonics on my phone for non-preloaded coordinates....like the location of an out of gas boat...drifting in the current 11 miles offshore with a coast guard helicopter hovering over it waiting for us to arrive....no pressure there!

Imagine entering the coordinates below. It would take (once on the correct screen) 70 button presses to enter! (up arrow to each individual digit, right arrow to the next one and so on). But if you aren't doing this....not an issue.

Latitude: 25° 43' 59.99" N
Longitude: -79° 14' 60.00" W

And yes...maps aren't cheap....unless you buy them on EBAY.

I’m not against buying a better one or more expensive. I’m prepping out for a future Bimini run.

Post up recommendations. I think a 7 inch screen is as large as I need. 5 inch would fit better.

I'm a really big fan of my Simrad Go7. If you're prepping for 2019 Bimini, and not in need of one this season, I definitely recommend waiting until the winter. I picked mine up in January for 525 w/transducer, it was briefly under $500 but I missed while I was waffling over the decision. 7" is as big as I would go on a 24' boat, any larger would be comical. Would be nice if the 7" units were a bit smaller in the bezel area.

I’ll check out the simrad. And probably wait on winter. Makes sense. Thanks!

Here is a 7 inch touch screen that Bruce posted a couple weeks ago. It is refurbished, but for $299 was too good of a deal to pass up. This was my first purchase towards a Bimini run as well. Bruce bought one too. http://www.raymarine.com/store/aseries/ No maps included, but everything else is there, I just need to figure out what maps I want to buy.

I will also add the 5 inch unit is plenty big enough size wise for our boats I have had no issues with the 5 inch screen size. I considered going bigger but glad I did not now it feel to be just about the perfect size for our boats.

I've got an Echomap 43 (I think) and I'm not a big fan of the interface. I feel that it takes too many menu choices to get to the display you want. This can be miserable if you're bouncing around in rough waters.

Back