• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

I've gone to the deep dark side, please don't ban me bro!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have traded in our 2007 SX230 on an ordered to our specification 2016 Cobalt R5, yes we have gone back to a prop boat. I don’t plan of leaving this great forum, as long as you don’t mind including a prop boat in your jet boat games.

The wife and I have always loved and wanted a Cobalt but couldn’t stomach the price until now. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my Yamaha and would have bought another and actually went to this winter's boat show to check out the 2016’s with the thought of getting one. To our surprise we found that our local Yamaha dealer is again carrying Cobalt's, so it is their fault we left Yamaha and went with a Cobalt. The boat show price of the Cobalt were drastically below the MSRP price and in our comfort level. Also, we did a quick search on our phone while at the boat show and found out that the 2014 and 2015 Cobalt R5’s are listed for the same or higher price as compared to what we paid for a brand new 2016. Plus we got to order our 2016 exactly the way we wanted it.

The biggest things I will miss about the Yamaha is not ever having to worry about what is 2'-3' below the waterline while underway and the extreme maneuverability while docking as long as there is no wind. If Cobalt had a good motor/jet combination I would have gone with a jet again but they don’t, so a prop it is, every boat is a compromise.

Things I like about about the Cobalt.

1. Fit and finish is second to none.
2. The wife is much more comfortable and less stressed when she is docking and recoverying, happy wife happy life.
3. The boat is heavy and plows through the water instead of bobbing on the surface, so a smoother ride in rough conditions and less impacted by cross winds.
4. The sound level while underway is at a comfortable level to hold a conversation, no more screaming at each other at least not while underway.
5. Friends that are non-jetboat pilots can easily handle driving the boat, that is assuming that I or the wife let them drive.

When I explain to friends the difference between the my old Yamaha and my new Cobalt, I tell them it is like going from a sports car to a top of the line luxury sedan. Yes the wife and I are getting to point in our lives that comfort trumps sportiness.

As I mentioned above, I don't plan on leaving this forum as long as I can still play in the jet boat games.

Since my forum name was tied to my Yamaha, [USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] could you please change my screen name to Andy S.

@waterboy I tried to write what you and I talked about last weekend but I could get the words to come out right.

Here are a few pictures of the new Cobalt, I take and post some interior shots this weekend.

Day 1 - Just signed the papers.jpg

Day 1 - in the water at the dealer.jpg

Day 1 - at the ramp (small).jpg

Day 1 - on the water (small).jpg

Beautiful boat. Congratulations.

That's one nice looking boat. Congratulations.

Nice boat @Andy s hope you guys love it you should post a link to your old boat incase anyone is interested.

This must be the new R7? What a GORGEOUS boat!

Nice ride and I guess we'll let you stay (I'll go make sure Cobalt is in the list of Manufacturers for you to select and will change your name while I'm at it). I'm sure you know the new model Yamaha's are MUCH quieter....but I don't think that was the tipping point for you! The extra foot will be nice (gotta love 2 footitis)! Did you go with the Mercruiser or Volvo engine?

It looks amazing Andy. Can't wait to see it first hand. I love the black tower and accents to contrast the white hull. It looks extremely classy.

Gorgeous boat! Best of luck. Looks quite a bit like a 242! I look forward to hearing your stories and opinions on your new ride.

Nice ride and I guess we'll let you stay (I'll go make sure Cobalt is in the list of Manufacturers for you to select and will change your name while I'm at it). I'm sure you know the new model Yamaha's are MUCH quieter....but I don't think that was the tipping point for you! The extra foot will be nice (gotta love 2 footitis)! Did you go with the Mercruiser or Volvo engine?
Thanks for letting me stay. I went with the 300 hp Volvo, could've have gone up 430 hp. The 300 hp will push the boat 50 mph, which is plenty fast enough, so why spend more on horsepower plus more in gas to have the same fun. We will have to do a side-by-side comparison of the noise level once you get your boat. Since size does matter at least for some, the R5 is 25'8" whereas my old 230 was 23', so almost 3' longer, haha.

Congratulations Andy, that's a beautiful boat!

Finally! Grats buddy, she looks way better than the pics I was googling. That's gorgeous.

Finally! Grats buddy, she looks way better than the pics I was googling. That's gorgeous.
Thanks, I agree much better looking in person. You ain't a kidding, what a relief to see it behind my truck pulling away from the dealership.

Andy, yeah what a gorgeous boat. Cobalts are very very nice with the fit and finish. I can't wait to see this baby in person. The pictures are beautiful. The all white color is very classy looking too!! Congratulations and enjoy.

Back