• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jabsco Water Puppy problems

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have had some issues with my pump the last two times out.
Last time out, we went to empty and somehow the pump ran and filled instead. The cup holders being pushed out was the initial indictor. I could not reverse the pump so I just disconnected the hoses and let the bags empty into the bilge. I replaced the impeller yesterday thinking that may have something to do with it. It was definitely worn out and cracked.
Today we could not fill the bags. The pump ran for 1 second and then stopped. The LED flashed 2 times indicating a high current situation, possibly blockage.
So tomorrow I dive in with my meter. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and a trouble shooting path to go down?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A video on WakeMakers said the unit should be installed with the pump head below the motor because of bearing wear. My Yamaha has it above the motor.
@trace @007 @lashburn1 how are yours installed?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck Did you mean for your title to say "pump" not "puppy"....you should be able to "edit thread" in the upper right of the 1st post to change that....if not, one of the admins can.
That's the name of the pump. It does look like an autocorrect error though!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's the name of the pump. It does look like an autocorrect error though!
Ahhhhh....funny....is it the baby brother to the Water Hound? Perhaps that is the problem with the pump? It is suffering from self esteem problems?

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@buckbuck, our pumps are tsunami style, not reversible impeller pumps like the ballast puppy. We have one for fill and one for empty on each bag.

That said, I've seen impeller style pumps installed in many different orientations, many with the water head at the bottom. This may not be optimum per wake makers, but it is common.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took everything apart and inspected and cleaned. Put it back together and things work fine on the trailer. There is a ball bearing at the pump end and a sleeve bearing on the other. This may be why WakeMakers recommend placing the pump head down. Off to the river to test.
WP_20160903_13_21_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_08_43_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_08_43_29_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_09_12_28_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_09_13_30_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_09_20_45_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_09_31_05_Pro.jpg WP_20160905_10_55_17_Pro.jpg

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@buckbuck Did you mean for your title to say "pump" not "puppy"....you should be able to "edit thread" in the upper right of the 1st post to change that....if not, one of the admins can.
Being a spicy food fan I thought Jabasco was the typo in the thread title....:hungry:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had some issues with my pump the last two times out.
Last time out, we went to empty and somehow the pump ran and filled instead. The cup holders being pushed out was the initial indictor. I could not reverse the pump so I just disconnected the hoses and let the bags empty into the bilge. I replaced the impeller yesterday thinking that may have something to do with it. It was definitely worn out and cracked.
Today we could not fill the bags. The pump ran for 1 second and then stopped. The LED flashed 2 times indicating a high current situation, possibly blockage.
So tomorrow I dive in with my meter. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and a trouble shooting path to go down?
Wouldn't water come out of the vent hoses and out the boat?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget that for the pump to empty it has to run in reverse with the electrical polarity switched, ie the + and - wires have to swap. Usually done with a relay or in the rocker switch. There may be a fault at the switch or relay. If it pumped water but kept filling then it means it didn't reverse rotation. Cam.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@scokill no vents on the stock 212X bags. We have to keep an eye on them.
@KXCam22 still not sure how that happened.
Went out yesterday with my son and his crazy Russian friend and everything worked normally. I don't know what changed but it did appear as if a bit of moisture was on the circuit board of the controller/timer when I tore it down. I cleaned it up with alcohol.
So I am putting this behind me and looking for more opportunities to fill the ballast.
IMG_4483.JPG IMG_4686.JPG IMG_4762.JPG

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It's funny you mentioned the orientation of the pump. I too saw this and read it on another forum. Stock, my pumps were mounted with 1 correctly...the other two ....one sideways and one UPSIDE down.

I went from this, where they were crammed and mounted out of site behind the v-drive compartment, to the second photo putting them in engine compartment where they are easily accessible and mounted per wake makers suggestions :)
IMG_3819.JPGIMG_3821.JPG

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mounted mine they way they are supposed to as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took everything apart and inspected and cleaned. Put it back together and things work fine on the trailer. There is a ball bearing at the pump end and a sleeve bearing on the other. This may be why WakeMakers recommend placing the pump head down. Off to the river to test.
View attachment 45549 View attachment 45550 View attachment 45551 View attachment 45552 View attachment 45553 View attachment 45554 View attachment 45555 View attachment 45556
@buckbuck This is a GREAT post, very informative, I've not seen many that detailed - with pictures - on this topic. Thank you!
I guess the wakeboarding/surfing crowd is fairly young, amazing how there is almost no discussion of those pumps maintenance other than just changing the impellers.
Did you end up using any kind of lubrication on the inside of the pump? Other than glycerin treatment of stuck impellers there is almost no info out there.
Those pumps do need to be installed with the impeller down, ideally, but I guess there is not way to easily swap them (upside down) without redoing some plumbing or rewiring switches.

EDIT: I was also wondering if you have ever felt the need to have your bags vented. I'm doing a wakemakers custom install, also going unvented, but am open to vent the bags down the road if needed. Wonder what your experience has been.
--

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did put a dab of di-electric grease on the impeller when I installed it but am sure it was gone the first time I used it.
Having vented bags would be easier and less potential for trouble. Just wait until you see and hear the water exiting. However, our family has been conditioned to keep an eye on the bags so I don't feel the need to change anything. We just remove the cup holder in the rear corner and stick our hand down to see how full the bags are. With our stock setup you have to wait until the pump turns off (it is timed) and then turn it on again to get them completely full. Sometimes you have to do it 3 times. If we ever see the cup holders pop up we know we have over filled. Thinking about it now, I kinda like the manual mode as it has kept all of us invested in the ownership of the boat and its' care. Even friends feel apart of the boating experience when they are asked to check the bags.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did put a dab of di-electric grease on the impeller when I installed it but am sure it was gone the first time I used it.
Having vented bags would be easier and less potential for trouble. Just wait until you see and hear the water exiting. However, our family has been conditioned to keep an eye on the bags so I don't feel the need to change anything. We just remove the cup holder in the rear corner and stick our hand down to see how full the bags are. With our stock setup you have to wait until the pump turns off (it is timed) and then turn it on again to get them completely full. Sometimes you have to do it 3 times. If we ever see the cup holders pop up we know we have over filled. Thinking about it now, I kinda like the manual mode as it has kept all of us invested in the ownership of the boat and its' care. Even friends feel apart of the boating experience when they are asked to check the bags.
Thanks for great feedback, I want to give it "informative" AND "love it", lol.

Those programmable timers everyone was using would drive me crazy. Wakemakers now offer one that is super simple w/timing adjustable on the fly and re-setting w/the switch off, they say they are done testing and people are happy with those.

EDIT: Here is the new timer link:
https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-ballast-system-timer.html
They initially offered those for free earlier this year, in exchange for getting feedback from users, but I missed out on that. The JB discount code still applies.

--

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski,
For $15 in parts I can show you how to make the pumps turn off when full, no timers. But you would need vents. Cam.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski,
For $15 in parts I can show you how to make the pumps turn off when full, no timers. But you would need vents. Cam.
Yeah right! I read all your posts about your level switches, suction switches, relay boards, and the PLC, unfortunately I am not sophisticated enough to make anything like that work, not even remotely. LOL.

I started telling my wife how I can learn to wire all the pumps and switches... Well, I got the eye roll and "honey just get the kits from Wakemakers"... So, that's what I'm doing. :oops:

--

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The high level ones are easy. Cam.