• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet boat over out board?

mpcetera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I've been stalking this forum like crazy trying to get info to make a decision of what boat I want. Currently it's just my wife and I (no kiddos yet) and I want something for us to entertain on and tube every once and awhile. If I was to get a yamaha I think we'd get the 242 limited E series. We also love the idea of the aft lounge area. The main boating I'd be doing is ocean which leads me to my first concern, handling in the ocean being a "lake" boat. Another concern is debris. I live in Savannah GA and to get to the ocean I'd probably be taking rivers out and don't want to be constantly stopping. The other option for me is getting a scout 255 LFX or something similar. It would have to be a dual outboard center console. We also like the idea of having a head and fresh water shower. My max budget is under 100k but would prefer to stay under budget. My questions are if you were planning on mainly having a ocean boat what would you choose? What made you choose a jet boat? How often are you cleaning the intakes? And why not a out board boat?

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Based on question/usage - I'd be shopping a Sea Hunt 255 ultra myself.

But, entertaining/tubing - not going much out on the ocean for that I wouldn't think? If you're running the rivers/ICW alot and chillin at the sandbar, the 242 is an excellent choice. Which is also ok offshore, but I wouldn't want one if that was my primary destination the majority of the time.

mpcetera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on question/usage - I'd be shopping a Sea Hunt 255 ultra myself.

But, entertaining/tubing - not going much out on the ocean for that I wouldn't think? If you're running the rivers/ICW alot and chillin at the sandbar, the 242 is an excellent choice. Which is also ok offshore, but I wouldn't want one if that was my primary destination the majority of the time.
True, we would be at sandbars and the ICW for tubing but I'd like to do ocean trips for fishing (not often) or bimini and surrounding islands (a few times a year). What makes you suggest a outboard and specially a sea hunt 255 ultra?

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Walt. If I were wanting to go out in the ocean mainly, I would be looking for something with a deeper V, I think. You can use a Yamaha jetboat (some of our group goes from FL to Bimini each year), but I think you will be bounced around a lot.

I got my Yamaha wanting to mainly stay on lakes, towing kids on tubes and skis and sitting off the back deck chillin. Complete score for a very good price when I got this boat. Very happy with it for the most part. It is annoying that I need to clean the intakes every time I suck up a tow rope... <joke>

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
True, we would be at sandbars and the ICW for tubing but I'd like to do ocean trips for fishing (not often) or bimini and surrounding islands (a few times a year). What makes you suggest a outboard and specially a sea hunt 255 ultra?
I'm far from an expert, but I shopped similar boats alot. Sportsman, Key west, Sea hunt, tidewater, etc... Lounge/family friendly CC's. To me, the SH came out on top. Only if spending most of my time offshore, of course. Nothing beats a jet ripping down the ICW or river, and we prove every year they can do bimini without too much fuss. If I do buy another jet, it'll be a Scarab 255open (unless Yamaha does indeed release a 24' FSH in Miami - just a weak rumor at this point)

mpcetera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm far from an expert, but I shopped similar boats alot. Sportsman, Key west, Sea hunt, tidewater, etc... Lounge/family friendly CC's. To me, the SH came out on top. Only if spending most of my time offshore, of course. Nothing beats a jet ripping down the ICW or river, and we prove every year they can do bimini without too much fuss. If I do buy another jet, it'll be a Scarab 255open (unless Yamaha does indeed release a 24' FSH in Miami - just a weak rumor at this point)
I love the layout of the yamaha's and the price is great. But that sh 255 ultra is extremely nice. Just a single out board isn't going to cut it. I'll check out the sh game fish 255 since it has twin 150s. Appreciate the info.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
These are not ocean boats and jet drive is not the best choice if you have debris in the water.
Plenty of really nice choices out there with a proper high freeboard and outboard power!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One unmentioned, and insanely huge benefit you get with a jet that no dealer will tell you - this community right here.

As valuable as that is - it doesn't trump trying to fish offshore in a jet boat IMHO.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you want to spend most or a good deal of your time in the open ocean, you would be better served by a deeper V boat. I have a 190 FSH here in Savannah, and I bought to be used as a bay fishing, tubing and anchor at the barrier islands boat. It does all of those tasks well. It also can go into shallow to very shallow water; I passed through Lazaretto Creek at the nadir of an especially low tide with three on board and half fuel. Although there is marsh grass and other stuff floating in the sounds and creeks, I have only had to use the clean out port once in one year. The problem you may experience is that an open ocean boat is going to have problems in shallow water, and there is lots of shallow water around Savannah in the creeks, sounds and ocean. My barely over 30K center console with T-top does everything I need it to do, and I have not touched bottom during my first year.

The only shallow running boats that can handle open ocean well are CATS. You might want to look at the World Cat 230 DC; it has twins, shallow draft, can go into open ocean, has an enclosed head and should be under 100K. Of course, Scout is a great boat. We almost bought a SF 195 instead of the Yamaha, but we liked the Yamaha better for our purposes. Additionally, the Scout would have been about 40% more - apples to apples.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^ there's also the 230SD and 230CC. Awesome boats. We've taken Dirks 230SD to Bimini - it's like crossing on a pillow, even in shit water conditions.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no way i would consider a jet boat for the ocean. I bought a jet because i boat in the shallow Colorado River. The jet is inefficient and the hull design is for small waves. Even a bayliner would be a better choice. For less than 100k you could probably get a used 25+ searay. Look at the 26 sundancer.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Twin twin twin outboards are a necessity. Only one for lots of offshore is a bad idea on my book.

Sadly you lose the Awesome swim platform, but such is life. Make up by going to Awesome destinations where you get off the boat and don't need the swim platform as much.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just won't do props with my little guys yet.
If prop or no prop isn't an issue, a dual outboard cat is what i would buy. And i just do little Lake Michigan.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For ocean fishing you need a boat that will track straight with little helm input, and one that has a true neutral (spinning props -even those in a jet tube - and fishing line do not make a good match!).

If fishing isn't going to be often, then a jet is something to consider, but check out the weed situation first. But in general, I agree with @veedubtek .... an CC would be the best choice for what you describe.

mpcetera

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the honest replies. Looks like a twin cc is the way to go.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We boat solely in coastal waters and at first loved our jet boat. However the more comfortable we get with boating, and the more adventurous we get with our destinations, both my wife and I wish we had gotten a twin CC. We've been eyeing the Sea Hunts a lot. Great set up. Deep V, nicely made boat.

If we could do it all over again, that's what we'd get.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not a huge fan of center consoles, the are some interesting dual consoles and fast boats that could also fill the need.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not a huge fan of center consoles, the are some interesting dual consoles and fast boats that could also fill the need.
There are some gorgeous boats out there that fit that bill.
I will say one of the reasons my wife likes a cc over a dual or our Yamahas is the desire to be able to sit next to me while we're under way.
As @mpcetera is still living in the BC era of his life (before children) his spouse may like the seating arrangements of a cc.

Either way it is very important that your SO gets a word on the boat choice. Because we all know: "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy". And if momma isn't a big fan of the boat she won't want to take it out very often either.
imho