• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Cat down under

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
GOPR1587 (640x480).jpg Snapshot 2 (26-04-2015 3-33 PM) (458x258).jpg DSC00143 (640x480).jpg Iphone pics 028 (640x395).jpg GOPR1588 (640x480).jpg DSC00135.JPG DSC00140.JPG IMG_2165.JPG

Private island labor day party
Welcome aboard @RV JetCat !! Feel free to start a new thread and tell us about the jet boat you have down under.
First, Id like to say that this forum is fantastic, its a good platform to share information and throw out there ideas and information to help other jet boaters and potential switch overs. Jet boats are evolving and so are people's thinking on the subject.

Jet cat is a design I've been working on for some time. Much time was dedicated to research and development of this boat, and after numerous requests from emergency services ,military and recreational fields I decided to build a prototype.
The results are beyond our expectations.
In brief: Jet cat is an asymmetrical hull design, 6 meters (20ft) x 2.5 meters (8ft), displacement 1100kg.
Power plant, 2x weber 155 hp Tc married to Scott 612 two stage jet units. (prototype)
Production options possibilities. engine /jet combos, Rotax /Scott or Flowpro jet units.
The prototype version is primarily for rescue and recovery , emergency services and military applications.
A recreational variant is on the board and will be available next year at some point.
There are many more excellent features, too many to clog up this post in one go
I'm more than happy to answer any questions regarding Jet cat.
These photo's are of the proto type , rescue recovery version.
Cheers

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

How does she handle rough water?

How tall is the hull on the trailer?

Where are you located in Australia?

I love the concept!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
AWESOME
I know Scott pumps are some of the best out there.
I know that in the down under you guys have a TON more cats for some reason. I love that. You guys have all the fun toys it seems.
How is it constructed? All fiberglass? Composite? Cold Mold?
This is the closest thing to what I've wanted to build myself that I have seen so far!
How is it with the dual pumps?
I know it's not like you're gonna go and ship me one for testing, but what will the market be for the US?
It looks like a really stinking tall freeboard due to the cat hull being so tall as well. Any way to shorten that for a more lean look?
Is it made so you are to be standing on the boat mainly?
How does it handle the chop?
Any possibility of having a small cuddy on something like this?
Ok, i'll start there...

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeh interested on the merits of the hull design? What would a recreational model have on it?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
First catamaran jet boat I have seen!
The shallow water capability is unheard of.
The hull should be more efficient and faster than our boats as well.
It should be (in my opinion) the next best thing for boats in the US if we can build something similar. I hope to someday, you know, in my dreams. I can't even build my garage that I want to hold the boat I HAVE, lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
http://www.scottwaterjet.com/products/jet_612.html
About a 165mm pump on either side.
That thing should really launch hard! Why only 155 hp to each? Those pumps can handle over 300 hp! I would LOVE to see 200+ on those because that is what those pumps were MADE for!
Ok, gonna stop posting on this for a bit, but I love it.

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys thanks for the response , to answer to your questions :
1 Rough stuff no problem although she was designed for swift water , we have here, what we call square waves, wind on tide conditions = 3-6 ft waves close together and a 1-2 ft chop on top of that (ugly)
2 Jet Cat has 1.4 m free board designed this way for inboard security for this version.
2.1 Rec version will be lower with fwd control station, pax seating, possible head and small galley opposite & cab version, these designs is not yet finalised but when finished will look sporty an be practicable.
I Would like to get feedback on what you guys would kike to see Jet Cat as recreational boat
3 We are located in Airlie Beach Queensland Australia, inside the Great Barrier reef you can google map this)
4. Construction (prototype) is composite panel, production models will be moulded, infusion process and composite construction, Variants FGR laminates i.e. Kevlar/ carbon fibre if required (military my require bullet proof hull shell structures')
5 Scott pumps are simple while delivering the goods 2 stage I prefer.
6 Jet Cat is the only catamaran in its class that has water jet drive units.

Performance: to date we achieve 35kts @ 6000 rpm, we will trial finer pitch impellors , this should give us 45kts with about 7-10 ltrs per hour fuel burn per engine (weber's)
As for a rec version , I see most of you guys have Yamahas (must be doing a great marketing job) slippery looking boats and plenty of bling, I like.
Jet cat rec version will look slick also, (cause we all know any one can design and ugly boat) That's an Aussie joke by the way.

I would love to see Jet Cat in the US , may be in the not too distant future. I'm planning a trip early next year, and may be talking to some military people in Norfolk, also at this time would also like to get to Florida and see areas where Jet cat may be usefull.
I would appreciate some information on this, any of you guys who know this area or are in Florida.

Cheers

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
45 kts is way fast enough for this version believe me, however I know some are speed demons, so I'm considering Rotax as an alternative power and if do able 250hp per side should keep most quiet.
Personally I wouldn't like to go this quick probably need a rear wing to keep it on the water.
Cheers

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Get me 250 hp per side on a slick looking cat and yes, I'll be sold. The benefits of being able to go over almost any waters due to the lack of an outdrive and being on a catamaran hull would be awesome.
Cat's have gotten a bad name out here for anything but really big boats, or big go fast boats. Everything smaller has really not taken off for some reason. Perhaps cost?
Catamaran jets even moreso have a bad name around here. Everyone expects them to do horrid and like completely shut down every time they take on air. I have been on several forums from boat designs, and hull designs etc. and they all say it just can't be done. You have apparently done the impossible. If you can make something to go over 60 kts and not be a complete failure, you will have shaken up these guys a bit!
I do have a few design ideas, but I would love to see what you guys have first and then just tweak it if anything.
I wish you the best!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! If you come over in February you can attend one of the largest boat shows in the world in Miami Florida. This show will give you a great idea of what's on the U.S. market. http://www.miamiboatshow.com/show-info

What price range (US dollar) would you be in for the recreational version?

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, Draws 250mm at rest and zero (well almost) on plane.
Jet intakes are recessed in purpose designed tunnels and feed jet units , result, nil cavitation, unless air borne .
Sorry it this stage hull and intake design are classified
Hull does have UHMW panel on the bottom makes very slippery transition on and off trailer and over logs stones ,rocks other objects.

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, looked at the Miami boat show dates could possibly do this, however London boat how in Jan is my target, but may be able to stretch to Miami boat show time wise.

Cost ex factory is still in negotiation with our builders but a rough estimate is $150,000 AUD inc as you see in the photos , at todays rates just over 100K USD rec version is not known, but should be close to this as a base price boat .

Cheers
Welcome aboard! If you come over in February you can attend one of the largest boat shows in the world in Miami Florida. This show will give you a great idea of what's on the U.S. market. http://www.miamiboatshow.com/show-info

What price range (US dollar) would you be in for the recreational version?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
there's always shelbyville..... :p

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Our swift water rescue team for my fire department uses a jet outboard, nearly flat bottomed rescue boat to navigate the shallows of the Chatahootchie River. I can definitely see the advantages of your hull design.

Cool looking boat friend!

RV JetCat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our swift water rescue team for my fire department uses a jet outboard, nearly flat bottomed rescue boat to navigate the shallows of the Chatahootchie River. I can definitely see the advantages of your hull design.

Cool looking boat friend!
Thanks for that,
Jet cat was primarily designed for just that , swift water rescue. If you would like some more detailed info for your department please email me, info@jetcat.com.au
Cheers

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man that boat is perfect just what I'm looking for! Maybe we will see something like that in market at some point.