• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL MX650 vs Polk DB651

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am currently running six polk db651 and 10" jl audio sub off a kenwood 7005ps 5 channel amp. Below are the specs of the amp. The polk db651 kind of start breaking up at higher volumes. My question is if I replace them with JL mx650 will it sound better at higher volumes. I have a kenwood headunit and once volume starts getting close to 30 is when they break up. I have read in the forum that they will make a difference but my install guy says it wont because I am pushing the same power.
  • 4 Ohms: 40 Watts x 4 + 300 Watts x 1
  • 2 Ohms: 50 Watts x 4 + 500 Watts x 1
  • Bridged at 4 Ohms: 100 Watts x 2 + 300 Watts x 1

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had both those Polks (in the bathtub) and those JLs (on the swimdeck) on my boat.

First, for their price point, those Polks are very hard to beat. They sound good, play loud for a given input power, are reasonably well built, and look good.

However, the JL MX650s are in a completely different class. They are MUCH more ruggedly built. They sound great and can hit VERY hard (for 6.5 inchers) when fed enough clean power. But they are more power hungry (rated efficiency of 89dB vs 92dB for the db651s).

I can't speak for your situation, but whether the JL speakers will solve the problem depends on what the problem is: If you are pushing the volume so hard that your amp is clipping, that will not be solved by changing out the speakers. If your db651s are buckling under load, chances are the MX650s would do much better.

If you can afford it, I strongly suggest upgrading to the JLs, they are a superior speaker, but they are priced accordingly.

Good luck!

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had both those Polks (in the bathtub) and those JLs (on the swimdeck) on my boat.

First, for their price point, those Polks are very hard to beat. They sound good, play loud for a given input power, are reasonably well built, and look good.

However, the JL MX650s are in a completely different class. They are MUCH more ruggedly built. They sound great and can hit VERY hard (for 6.5 inchers) when fed enough clean power. But they are more power hungry (rated efficiency of 89dB vs 92dB for the db651s).

I can't speak for your situation, but whether the JL speakers will solve the problem depends on what the problem is: If you are pushing the volume so hard that your amp is clipping, that will not be solved by changing out the speakers. If your db651s are buckling under load, chances are the MX650s would do much better.

If you can afford it, I strongly suggest upgrading to the JLs, they are a superior speaker, but they are priced accordingly.

Good luck!
My amp isnt clipping. The polks start getting distorted.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just my opinion, but its less about the speakers and more about your amp. I just installed JL's new MV800/8i in my 242SE and its running 8 JL M6 7.7's. I can crank it super loud without worry, but the best part is that the amp is very efficient and doesn't crush the battery at the sandbar.

I would say replace the Kenwood with a quality marine amp and that should solve your sound issues.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I swapped my polks for JL due to salt water making them rust and discoloration of the cones. Sound difference is marginal the problem with boats is the open air effect and the speakers that are originally designed for car interiors modified for boats don't work so great . Get a self amplified sub woofer or even better separate amp and a sub this way you can lower the bass output from the DB651 and they will play louder and not distort and let the sub handle the low frequency. what we need for these boats are modified DJ speakers designed for outdoor environments that are affordable

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Polk MM series 6.5’s and I am impressed with them so far.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also just saw this wetsound package.

Again, look into getting a quality marine grade amp. Buying better speakers without having an amp to push them is not fixing your issue.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Subwoofer is what you need Im on my 4th multi amp boat system . You can buy a used car audio amplifier and a nice 10'' sub in a small enclosure really hi end and high power throw it under one of the seats set the eq to limit the low frequency to the polk it will sound great . The speaker swap is enticing due to easy install but your just throwing money into the wind.

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Subwoofer is what you need Im on my 4th multi amp boat system . You can buy a used car audio amplifier and a nice 10'' sub in a small enclosure really hi end and high power throw it under one of the seats set the eq to limit the low frequency to the polk it will sound great . The speaker swap is enticing due to easy install but your just throwing money into the wind.

I have a JL 10" marine sub already installed.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had two 10'' in my last boat and when one was removed it sounded flat add another and dedicated amp your under powered for the sub

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Having both the difference is: Do you want to hear your boat at the sand bar (Polks) or do you want to be the only boat heard at the sand bar (JL). I went with JL's, they're insanely loud. Funny enough, most of the time at the sand bar I turn down the interior and sub zone to zero and just use the deck and tower speakers for playing music. That said, cruising back at 40+mph after some cocktails it's awesome to have the option to crank up everyone's favorite tune and hear it loud over the sound of motors.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just typed up a thread in this section the other day, but I installed Polk DB651s in the cockpit and swim platform last year, powered by a Kenwood micro amp at 50 watts per channel. I had the gain cranked all the way up and they sounded very good for the money. If I cranked the head unit up to the point where they were "pretty loud" underway, they did distort a little but I was probably the only one who noticed it. I never cranked them up to hear them on the sandbar or something so no experience there.

This year I replaced the Kenwood amp driving the Polks with a JL M400/4 amp at 100 watts per channel and had it on about half gain. Sound was about the same, perhaps slightly better. A few days later I swapped in two pairs of JL MX650s and turned the gain up a little, but I would say the JLs are louder by something like a 2:1 ratio and have quite a bit fuller sound, as well as more bass. In addition, build quality is not even comparable.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much of a difference were they?
They are much clearer and louder. So much louder that they have thrown my system out of balance and I need to adjust the amps to fix that! I was about to start that and it began to rain.

Of course mother Yamaha install the polk amps with the controls facing away from you so adjusting the gain controls is a wonderful exercise of standing on your head with mirrors and small screw drivers! :banghead:

Last edited: