• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joined the club Labor Day ‘22

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sucked up the rope today…took about 2 hours to cut it out.

Before sucking up the rope:
3473504A-A2C9-410C-A81E-2F17B7101877.jpeg71E8053D-AE96-4B2C-A5FF-3732C48D1AAB.jpeg

After:
E2F82CAB-91A3-4BC2-BB82-EB37741EFED5.jpeg

Yea, my son surfed for a good hour, then we posted up in a cove to eat & relax.

Before we headed back, my wife decided to try the skis, then the Air Head rope got caught on the wake rack (my son was supposed to have rope duty).

Next thing I know, the rope snapped, the handle got jerked out of the wife’s hand, & the engine shut off.

Honestly, I was just relieved that I got it all out. I think it sucked about 20-30 feet. The trick handle was literally inside the port.

To top it off, on the ride back, my wife’s life jacket flew out of the boat,

I figure I’m out about $200 for today’s adventure…it was still fun though, and we had a good laughs when it was all said & done.

One thing’s for sure, we all take rope duty a little more seriously now.

Welcome to the club! I joined earlier this year. Congrats on getting it "out of the way" :)

Before I cut that rope out, I was concerned about getting towed back or limping back (it seemed like a distinct possibility), because I didn’t want to flood/hydrolock the engine.

So I’ve been thinking about how I would clamp off the intake hose. My thought would be, I could just get some vice grips. I was wondering, if anyone’s had to deal with this, and if that’s a viable option.

Also, I want to confirm the hose location.

I attached an image, with an arrow marking what I think is the intake hose. Please let me know if I’m correct. I was looking at the pictures to do this, and I did not go through my engine to confirm the location. If I’m wrong, please don’t make me feel like a buffoon.

34BE5CDA-F97C-4938-B17C-D0B0175715A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Before I cut that rope out, I was concerned about getting towed back (it seemed like a distinct possibility), because I didn’t want to flood/hydrolock the engine.

So I’ve been thinking about how I would clamp off the intake hose. My thought would be, I could just get some vice grips. I was wondering, if anyone’s had to deal with this, and if that’s a viable option.

Also, I want to confirm the hose location.

I attached an image, with an arrow marking what I think is the intake hose. Please let me know if I’m correct. I was looking at the pictures to do this, and I did not go through my engine to confirm the location. If I’m wrong, please don’t make me feel like a buffoon.

View attachment 187492
Many of us buy hose clamp pliers - you can get a set of plastic ones on Amazon for $10. Yes, that is the correct spot to clamp off.

Did you have a good knife with you to cut the rope out. I swear by a standard utility knife with Hook blades - means you are pulling towards you...much easier and safer motion to cut ropes at.

Many of us buy hose clamp pliers - you can get a set of plastic ones on Amazon for $10. Yes, that is the correct spot to clamp off.

Did you have a good knife with you to cut the rope out. I swear by a standard utility knife with Hook blades - means you are pulling towards you...much easier and safer motion to cut ropes at.

Thanks Julian (I enjoyed your videos on the ‘23 -22 footers BTW).

I’ll check the clamps and blades out.
I used a Leatherman that I keep in the glove box. It is super sharp, but probably not the safest thing/design to use for that purpose.

Also, was my arrow pointing to the correct hose. (See Image)

Yes, that is the correct spot to clamp off.
You said that the first time, & I overlooked it.
Thanks again for your help

Last edited:
IDK on a couple incidents with false overheat warnings I limped back to our marina on one engine. This was before I ever knew about the clamp off warning. I was paranoid about stressing the engine though so ran it max of 5k rpm which resulted in about 8mph water speed. Maybe I got lucky. Sorry about your rope experience, good thing no lasting or costly damage.

IDK on a couple incidents with false overheat warnings I limped back to our marina on one engine. This was before I ever knew about the clamp off warning. I was paranoid about stressing the engine though so ran it max of 5k rpm which resulted in about 8mph water speed. Maybe I got lucky. Sorry about your rope experience, good thing no lasting or costly damage.
I’m almost glad it happened. My fam never paid attention when I warned about the rope getting sucked up. I don’t think it even registered with them, but it does now. It scared all of us. Fortunately it all worked out, & everyone learned a lesson…I hope.

After about 30 minutes of cutting, I started to feel confident I was going to be able to get it all out. It still took (probably) another 1-1/2 hours to cut out the rest. It was seriously a lot of rope in there.
If I had the hooked utility blade, I think it would have gone a lot faster (it’s on order…along with the hose clamps)

I’m almost glad it happened. My fam never paid attention when I warned about the rope getting sucked up. I don’t think it even registered with them, but it does now. It scared all of us. Fortunately it all worked out, & everyone learned a lesson…I hope.

After about 30 minutes of cutting, I started to feel confident I was going to be able to get it all out. It still took (probably) another 1-1/2 hours to cut out the rest. It was seriously a lot of rope in there.
If I had the hooked utility blade, I think it would have gone a lot faster (it’s on order…along with the hose clamps)

Same feeling here. It sufficiently freaked all of my family out enough that EVERYONE is now diligent about watching the rope. :)

I also went ahead and used the experience to pull the pump and get familiar with that whole process.

I definitely added a bunch of things to the boat toolbox after that - the utility blade and hook blades being the first thing that got added!

They sell shut-off valves if you don't want to use clamps.

Same feeling here. It sufficiently freaked all of my family out enough that EVERYONE is now diligent about watching the rope. :)

I also went ahead and used the experience to pull the pump and get familiar with that whole process.

I definitely added a bunch of things to the boat toolbox after that - the utility blade and hook blades being the first thing that got added!
It motivated me to start putting a boat toolbox together too…I’ve got a list.
I’m just glad I had enough foresight to keep the Leatherman in the glovebox.

It motivated me to start putting a boat toolbox together too…I’ve got a list.
I’m just glad I had enough foresight to keep the Leatherman in the glovebox.

I went to Harbor Freight and got an ammo box which has a seal so no humidity or water will get in there and mess up my boat tools and items. Had a bag but hated it. Now I can just slide the box back under one of the rear seats. Just a thought.

Tactical Ammo/Utility Box (harborfreight.com)

Last edited:
Back