• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just Bought a 2006 AR230

Lsutmorg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for any recommendations. I will putting the boat in a bayou that is connected to Lake Bruin in Louisiana. I have a camp on this bayou so the boat will be docked at my pier when we are at the camp. The bayou has a narrow bridge that I will be going under to get to the lake. Also the Bayou itself is about 4 ft deep when at it's lowest. Just looking for any ideas on what I should be looking out for and any driving advice. Should I look into purchasing the fins? Will have many friends driving the boat because I like to drink but I do not drink and drive. Also maintenance advice would be great also. Boat is in great shape and I plan on keeping it this way. This is my first ski boat/jet boat. I have owned bass boats and currently own a pontoon boat. My boys or getting older so we bought this to keep them on the lake doing watersports. Thanks for any advice.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase and:Welcome:aboard!! I own a sea doo, much different steering at low speeds. From what i gather, you should definitely invest in a set of cobra steering fins or thrust vectors, im sure someone on the site will have more first hand info on that.

As for the depth of the lake, its universally understood that jet boats can operate in 3ft of water, but its not necessarily the BEST full time environment. They can do it, but they shouldn't do it all the time. constantly running in shallow water (3 feet or less) can cause a stir-up of the lake bottom. Sand, small rocks, etc. can become suspended in the water after being kicked up and when that stuff gets thrown through your impeller, it can cause some damage. Just something to keep an eye out for.

In regards to maintenance, you're better off hearing from somebody with a MR1 era Yamaha such as yourself. I too keep my boat in the water year round (on my first year), a good clean and waxing of the gel coat before you put it in should do you good. Pull it out every now and then and just give it a good rinse! im sure other members will add on. Also, dont be afraid to post some pictures of the new family toy! we love pictures!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome!

You will want to watch the video here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-avoid-clogging-your-engine-with-sand.26558/

So you understand what a jet boat is doing quietly under the surface without your knowledge.

If you plan to have others driving the boat, I'd get fins.....the more control you can give them, the less likely you'll get dock rash you don't want.

HAVE FUN! And share some Bayou photos!