• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just ordered a bow cover for the Bimini crossing

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see that shopyamaha.com has one for $195. Is that overly expensive ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will do. I am calling yamaha sports plaza tomorrow because I could not find bow cover on their online inventory.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally installed
I drilled a small hole first. Then reversed drilled about 2mm with a wider drill bit. Out of 14 holes I chipped the coat on 4 of them and forgot to reverse the drill on the wide drill on 2 holes. As a result those 2 hole where too wide for the screw. So I filled them with 5200 and put the screw. I will know 5 day later if they are going to hold up or not.
On the rest of the hole I just put some silicone to seal them.

I also cut a foam for the anchor compartment, so I can eliminate water intake from there too.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally installed
I drilled a small hole first. Then reversed drilled about 2mm with a wider drill bit. Out of 14 holes I chipped the coat on 4 of them and forgot to reverse the drill on the wide drill on 2 holes. As a result those 2 hole where too wide for the screw. So I filled them with 5200 and put the screw. I will know 5 day later if they are going to hold up or not.

I also cut a foam for the anchor compartment, so I can eliminate water intake from there too.
You are quite handy!
Not sure the 5200 will hold your snaps, but you can just redo it by:
  1. redrilling/overdrilling - making a larger hole
  2. then filling that hole with epoxy
  3. re-drilling again with proper size drill bit
It is a very well established protocol for mounting screws and bolts into fiberglass (and a must do in older fiberglass boats that have plywood core).

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally installed

Looks good, where did you order your cover from?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Betik unless your anchor locker leaks, any water going in there should drain out the anchor locker drain....but I assume your idea is to prevent the weight of the water being in there in the first place so it is easier to keep the bow up?

Doesn't the edge/head of the snap cover any chips?

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
My Glastron came with a snap-on cover already installed, and this summer when I take the boat down to Halifax harbour (vs the lake we live on) to spin around the basin and out towards Chebucto Head, I was planning on leaving the foc'sle cover on. Mostly as a wind break. I'm driving a a GT187 bow-rider, so the open bow area results in a lot of wind through the center channel between the seats, and when I tried it on a cool day last summer, leaving the foc'sle cover on made a huge difference in comfort.

Additionally, it gives space for additional storage that is out of the way of the cockpit, and out of the sun, so I will probably tuck the cooler up there. Also, if one of the kids needs to get out of the sun, the could crawl in and put their head down on the front seats....one factor though is that I will be keeping a 'tiny anchor' in my cockpit area for emergency use as it'll take an extra minute or so to dig out the other anchor in the bow compartment because I'll have to un-snap and move stuff to get to it.

I had not considered the 'wave over the bow' as a factor until reading this thread, since I have not taken the boat out into deep water where significant wave action would be a concern, but I will keep it in mind if I do take it out that far.

One point about the install of the bow cover on the Glastron is that the segment of the cover that passes by the window/opening actually snaps to the underside of the window frame, giving a better seal and preventing water from coming over the top and in. I'm not sure how your Yamaha boat windows are configured, or if the cover has the extra 'tab' that would enable this or not.

Once upon a time I installed a snap-on cover on the back of my old pickup truck. Based on my experience with that, I'd personally be very reticent about doing it again on my own. I had a 'negative' experience with the durability of the screw-in snaps. Good to see that it's worked out well for you!

NS

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Glastron came with a snap-on cover already installed, and this summer when I take the boat down to Halifax harbour (vs the lake we live on) to spin around the basin and out towards Chebucto Head, I was planning on leaving the foc'sle cover on. Mostly as a wind break. I'm driving a a GT187 bow-rider, so the open bow area results in a lot of wind through the center channel between the seats, and when I tried it on a cool day last summer, leaving the foc'sle cover on made a huge difference in comfort.

Additionally, it gives space for additional storage that is out of the way of the cockpit, and out of the sun, so I will probably tuck the cooler up there. Also, if one of the kids needs to get out of the sun, the could crawl in and put their head down on the front seats....one factor though is that I will be keeping a 'tiny anchor' in my cockpit area for emergency use as it'll take an extra minute or so to dig out the other anchor in the bow compartment because I'll have to un-snap and move stuff to get to it.

I had not considered the 'wave over the bow' as a factor until reading this thread, since I have not taken the boat out into deep water where significant wave action would be a concern, but I will keep it in mind if I do take it out that far.

One point about the install of the bow cover on the Glastron is that the segment of the cover that passes by the window/opening actually snaps to the underside of the window frame, giving a better seal and preventing water from coming over the top and in. I'm not sure how your Yamaha boat windows are configured, or if the cover has the extra 'tab' that would enable this or not.

Once upon a time I installed a snap-on cover on the back of my old pickup truck. Based on my experience with that, I'd personally be very reticent about doing it again on my own. I had a 'negative' experience with the durability of the screw-in snaps. Good to see that it's worked out well for you!

NS
Yep, Yamaha bow and cockpit covers are pretty well designed. The bow part has a flap in the middle that snaps under the middle portion of the windshield, there is essentially no water intrusion.
Several members here have installed bow covers in preparation for the Bimini crossing - as an anti-swamping measure - basically a quick open bow to closed bow conversion.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice job @Betik
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about any splash coming in via the anchor locker hatch. I'm quite certain that your anchor locker has a drain in the bottom of it that drains to the outside of the hull and not into the bilge. That drain likely has water going in and out of it while you have someone sitting in the bow. If you're concerned about water in your anchor locker, just make sure that your anchor locker doesn't have a defect that allow water to make its way into the bilge as opposed to draining out via the thru-hull fitting.
Your foam install may cause you unnecessary issues like water absorption, mold, UV break down, and may eventually just get physically broken down from contact with the anchor line. If your anchor locker has no integrity issues and your thru-hull drain fitting is working properly, you shouldn't need the foam.
In addition to the above, unless you torpedo into an oncoming wave or perform a sub move, water ingress via the anchor locker hatch is insignificant.
See you soon brother.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrMoose I have zero intention to turning our boat to Kaiten, but I am paranoid about taking water. Don't want to panic the crew. The foam does not seem to be absorbing water and I only plan to use it for the bimini trip. After than I will through it away or even better, put it aside for 2018. I am going to pour some water in anchor compartment and see if I get any water in the bilge.

@Julian, the head of the screw does cover 90+% of the chipped area, but usually it leaves just a bit of haircrack that shows. You will need to look closely to see it, but it visible.

@swatski, I hope those screws hold, but I hate to have to drill again. I went crazy yesterday screwing holes everywhere ( bilge hose drain & charging outlet). And then next week or the week after, I have to install the trim tabs. I really hate drilling. Very stressful holes on your boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really hate drilling. Very stressful holes on your boat.
@Betik Oh, I can relate. But it does get easier!

With the tab install - keep in mind that if you are using screws (and not bolting thru hull/fiberglass) getting the correct hole size is critical. Unfortunately, most guides of drill-bit sizing for your screws pertain to drilling in wood or metal, not fiberglass. So, it's a bit of a trial and error and you may want to start with a hole or two and see how things fit. You want those to be very tight but not to the point of cracking fiberglass or gelcoat. For tabs I would bed the screws in 5200.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski I am definitely putting 5200 on the trim tab holes. I will probably read your threat like 5 more times before I start. I will do it when open the bilge for the back up pump installation.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I am definitely putting 5200 on the trim tab holes. I will probably read your threat like 5 more times before I start. I will do it when open the bilge for the back up pump installation.
Let me know if you need any extra pictures or measurements, different angles etc., just PM me and I can text or email.
But - if you fit and mark everything on the boat - you should have no trouble whatsoever! Helps if you can get a helper, too.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will do. Thank you.
My dad usually helps me with these stuff.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik, if you mount one of these at the right spot, it will shield the anchor locker and you won't need the foam.
upload_2017-4-7_15-55-45.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what I great idea MrMoose! Since I got married I could not think of a way to re-purpose my blow up doll.