• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

K&N Oil Filter sprang a leak.....rather a hole.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, after using our boat all weekend, of course we cleaned her once we pulled her out and before trailering back home on Monday afternoon. While cleaning her, I opened the engine bay only to find oil everywhere. So I did the obvious things. I first checked the oil levels of each engine to find that my starboard engine was at the low mark, while my port engine was at the full mark, as would be expected. So, clear indication of the oil source. Next I needed to find where it was escaping the engine. I wiped around the oil filter to see if I could find a leak. On both oil filters I found a little bit of oil, but not enough to convince me that the filter was the origin. I then decided to deal with it at home. Fast forward to yesterday (evening). My wife and I decided to remove every single thing from the boat and give it a once over. While she worked on cleaning the boat, I figured I would fill the oil to the correct level and clean up the engine bay. After cleaning up, it was time to diagnose the issue. I tried to tighten the filter by hand and couldn't but felt it must me loose since the previous spot that I wiped of oil, not had trace amounts of oil again. So I grabbed my channel locks and turned the filters both about a 1/2 turn. Seems looser than I remember. So, time to test. I asked my wife to turn over the port engine as the control source. No obvious leaks. Then I asked her to turn over the Starboard engine. To my surprise, the filter was not leaking from the connection point, but from a hole in the sidewall of the filter itself. I mean the leak was not sputtering out, it was gushing. What? I have never heard of a filter (2nd season) springing a leak from the side wall. Has anyone had a similar experience. I shutter thinking that I could have run the engine dry. OUCH! My mind wondered into sabotage at one point as well. I just don't understand how this can happen.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just read some good information about this filter. Many posts across the internet warning that this filter is known to rust around the area where the bolt is welded on. Can't remember if I torqued it with the nut at the end or not, but there are many warnings to only use the nut for removal. Perhaps, I torqued it by the nut (incorrectly) and now it has finally rotted through. Anyhow, I am going back to Mobil 1 filters. Advanced Auto was out last time, so I cross referenced these. Oh well.....back to old reliable. Lesson learned.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! you now have an extra $5k that you would have spent on a new motor to buy other items!

how often do you check your engine bay/oil level? wondering if this was slow leak that finally broke loose or you had checked the oil at the beginning of the trip?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congratulations! you now have an extra $5k that you would have spent on a new motor to buy other items!

how often do you check your engine bay/oil level? wondering if this was slow leak that finally broke loose or you had checked the oil at the beginning of the trip?
In there multiple times per trip and check the oil at least once per trip. The oil was checked Monday when we got on the water.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use those same filters with no issues so far. I install very hand tight (oil smeared by finger on the gasket before hand) then add a 90 degree turn with a 1 inch 6 point socket. I change oil every 50 hours. 2016 boat and around 225 hours right now. Do you use a socket/box+open end or oil filter wrench to install?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually smear oil on the gasket, hand tighten and use a filter wrench to turn a little more snug. However, I do not remember if I used something on the bolt. Knowing me, I would have used a socket if there was a bolt ready to accept the socket.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good info @OperationROL. I've been using the K&N filters for 8 years now with no issues. Finger lube the gasket and only hand tight on install. I check oil before each trip as part of my preflight. I will be watching closer now. It's possible rising steel prices are causing suppliers to search for cheaper sources resulting in substandard products.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@OperationROL I would be contacting K&N to let them know! As @Gym pointed out - maybe they went cheap on the latest batch, and their QA folks might like some fodder on why that is a bad idea! They should also send you at least one replacement filter!

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
95%of oil filters are made by one manufacturing company to the filter companies spec.

I’m a big fan of the Royal Purple Filters, obviously it was a manufacturing defect. Good Catch!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like you were blessed with a holy filter...

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think they coat them with grease just so you can't get them off yourself and change your own oil...

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good info @OperationROL. I've been using the K&N filters for 8 years now with no issues. Finger lube the gasket and only hand tight on install. I check oil before each trip as part of my preflight. I will be watching closer now. It's possible rising steel prices are causing suppliers to search for cheaper sources resulting in substandard products.
Hopin
@OperationROL I would be contacting K&N to let them know! As @Gym pointed out - maybe they went cheap on the latest batch, and their QA folks might like some fodder on why that is a bad idea! They should also send you at least one replacement filter!
Planning to take it to Advanced Auto to see if they will swap it out so I don't have to deal with the warranty processing. I'm not known for patience. Lol

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-oil-filter-failed-just-did-the-oil-change-2-weeks-ago.18678/ it is more common than you may think and if you run on low oil it can take out the front rod bearing leading to a thrown rod and a hole in the block. I cover my filters with aluminum tape to protect them from rusting, dealers coat them with grease.
That's the thing. A $25 dollar defective part could have caused me $6k in repairs. Thankfully, I caught it. Good call on the covering or coating. I'll have to do that.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I told my wife about the extra 5k. She doesn't see it the same way. Lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't want to sound stupid, but I switched to Amsoil filters after Yamaha stopped makign their great fleece-packed filters and I am not planning on going back.
They are pricey but not really if all things are considered. They are built so well it is very hard to cut them up to look inside.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn it, I’m running k&n oil filters now and just bought the last two at my local pep boys less than 3 hours ago, no shit. I’ve never had problems with these filters but had I read this post 4 hours ago I would have went with a different brand.

My local power sports shop still sells Yamaha filters for $23.50 but like @swatski stated they no longer have fleece element so other than brand loyalty there is no reason to pay that much for basic/generic oil filter when the fram equivalent is $6 and the K&n is $11.A293CAC0-4DB1-4FF5-BA88-9B063E673A52.jpeg

Last edited:

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would shy away from using tools to put any oil filter on besides maybe a strap wrench with a 1/4-1/2 turn after hand tight. I put oil on every gasket and put it as tight as possible by hand, no wrenches. Never had any leaks on any car, motorcycle or boat that I’ve owned over the years. I worked in a garage through college and did hundreds of oil changes there too. The nut on K&N filters is just to remove it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Since my filter split I use Fram TG 3600 filters when I chose those it was due to the heaviness of the container walls, if you can squeeze it and it buckles easily like a soda can it's too thin. Plus these are 1.5 times larger than a stock filter. And a high efficiency rating

Last edited: