• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keep old or go bigger ?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to decide if I sould keep my 2008 sx210 or get a 240 ? Like the idea of a bigger /more powerfull boat , dislike the idea of starting over , as my 210 is set up perfectly for me and my family .

Bigger is always better no matter what anyone says. Love our 240 so much I might sell it.

Depends on how your family uses the boat. For myself I go on Lake Michigan a few times each year. So the larger boat is very important to my family.

Hard (first world) choice to have! LOL.....one I am trying to convince my wife we need to consider!!!!

The obvious would be that you are waiting for what ever is coming in the 2016 models??

I once heard someone on here say " I've never heard someone say, I wish I bought a smaller boat".

I have a beautiful 240 looking for a new home!

Things to consider: My 210 is set up perfect for me and my family. (Your words, not mine). I like your boat but would be happy for you if you purchased new. @AR240 owner and @AR240owners Wife. As a minimum, wait out to see what the 2016 surprise is.

Last edited:
Here's my take... Think about what you would want for your next boat and how much you could get said boat for. Then estimate how much more you would have to do to it to make that new boat "perfect" for your family. Might be nothing, but who are we kidding there! Then do the math of how much that new boat would be. Having that number in front of you might make the decision a bit more 'real'.

Surprised it isn't in your driveway yet....

@OrangeTJ what I meant by that was I want to go out every possible day and my wife bitches at me about it. At this point it's not worth the bitching and fighting. Debating on if the boat goes or she does. I've done a few mods to the boat but not sure what I can get for it. Already had the first service done and it has the 5 year YES warranty.

I can tell you I had my 192 where I was very happy with it, ballast, stereo etc. maybe it would have gotten a sub and amp added but it was pretty close to being good. Now that I have the 212X, it has been one thing after another. It's not a bad thing but I know by the time I have it finished I am betting I would have somewhere between 5 and 10K of extras (price is also dependent if you install or pay someone too).

I know a lot more of the items I want on the boat are directly related to the fact it has the room for them so that is something to think about as well.

Last edited:
who doesn't like the idea of a bigger more powerful boat?

I guess the real question is does a bigger boat increase your fun factor and do you have the cash to invest said increase of fun factor?

Do you have to turn away passengers because your crowded? how often? is it worth the $$$$ to have them on board?

@subysti - sorry to hear your fun factor gets kicked in the crotch before you even walk out the door, you definitely have to get the buy in from the spouse or find some compromise,

@Scottintexas yea that's what pisses me off. She loved our old boat which was a 19' Larson and she likes this boat too but just doesn't want to go out all the time. We trailer it so if no one else wants to go it's too much a pain in the ass to launch and retrieve it with one person. If I keep it next year I'm getting a slip at a marina.

Bigger is nicer, specially for me coming form an AR192 to a 212X. More power more passengers, it has a nice balance over what I had before. There is always a trade ff though, not knowing how much performance gain I have with the 212 vs a 240 series would be interesting to see head to head. I do know that this past weekend with 8 adults on board, it did everything I expected it to and then some. Having the twins is a big plus in my book. The fact that we tubed for hours and only burned 26 gallons was nice as well. I know with my 192 and 6 people, to tube for an hour and a half would just about kill the tank...

I know I will be in the minority here, but I say keep it for now! Save towards future boat and keep that in mind. If the 2016 is what you want, I would buy used in 2018

Back