• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keeping the boat all the way on the trailer

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have trailered several boats many many times. This is the biggest boat I have trailered. My challenge with this boat is that I can get the boat all the way up on the trailer, connect the winch and have everything tight. Then when I go to pull the boat out of the water the boat always slides back a little. I never had to attach the transom straps on my other boats and since they are still in the water I would prefer not to do that. Should I be doing something different with this boat? It is not a big deal but still don't like that the boat is not tight up against the front which lets it rock a little. I only do this two or three times a year but it is odd to me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is normal. The weight of the boat pulls the winch strap tighter around the take up spool when you accelerate. There are 2 things I do to help address this, and one mod I made.

1. When you pull the winch strap out, only pull out as LITTLE as necessary. The less you pull off, the less there is to re-tighten around the take up spool. Also, when you are winching while the strap is loose, put pressure on it so it is taken up taught rather than just loose.
  2. Drive for a couple of miles accelerating as normal, then brake hard somewhere you can pull over, get out and re-tighten the winch strap (which will now be loose) and then retighten the stern straps which will also be loose.

One mod I added is a Boat Buckle tie down strap at the bow. This stops the bow from bouncing at all.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you power load?Is your bow stop loose? Did you do the bow stop weld mod? Are you cranking till the cleaves is under the bow roller?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We crank ours tight to the bow roller and it rarely moves (but it has). A welded bow stop is a must. I also have a BB at the bow to keep the boat clamped tightly when trailering. Cam.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkluck the boat shifting on the trailer was a common issue with the early model 4strokes with the MFI trailers. The bow stop on mine would move forward/backwards several inches as weight was transferred during braking. A lot of guys either bolted or welded the bow stop to prevent movement. But I'm not familiar with your year/make/model of trailer. I thought that the newer ones used a bow stop that was more secure.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this issue a lot before welding my bowstop and adding a Fulton F2 winch. The old winch was junk and the bow stop would move back and forth several inches.

But I'm not sure if your trailer is the same as mine.... Julian's advice about keeping tension on the strap is good too.

Let us know what you figure out.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have not experienced this issue that I am aware of. Have you tried not putting the trailer in the water quite as far? I've noticed that if I do this it is harder for me to crank forward, but the boat is in a better position and not crooked either.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think @CaptianHook may have identified the issue. If you float the boat all the way onto the bunks it will be sitting higher than it will be on the trailer and you will have slack when it sits down on the bunk. You want to winch or power the boat for the last few feet working toward the bow stop.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like @Julian said, always stop over after a couple of miles and tighten all straps. I was taught this when my previous owner showed me around my boat. The boat shifts and there is usually slack that can be taken out of the straps. If nothing else, it is good practice to reassure that all buckles are on. I turn on the hazards as well so when I walk around the boat, this is a double check that my trailer lights are still working.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While in the water you gotta force the boat against the bow roller with the motors and tighten the winch strap super tight. When you pull out of the water the boat pulls the bow stop post back a little and creates this gap you are getting.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses. I do power the boat all the way up and tighten the strap. I do check later but I have not been able to pull the boat up when it is out of the water. I just tighten all the straps the best I can. I will make sure I pull as little strap as possible out. That may help a lot. I am going to check to make sure the whole assembly is tight. I had thought of another strap like the transom straps. That may have a lot less slack in the webbing. Thanks again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Recheck the strap after you cut the throttles. If you don't get the winch strap tight enough you'll see a small gap between the hull and roller that becomes even bigger when you come out of the water.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I notice this occasionally too. My bow stop on Shoreline trailer moves a lot when I am winching. Probably need to tighten or weld it. If the ramp is not busy, I like to pull up maybe halfway out of the water, tighten again, and then check maybe once after a couple miles down the road. The rear ratchet straps are almost always a couple clicks loose too...seems like normal course of operations. I would not worry much.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
Just winch it further up after you take it out. the bunks are wet.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an ongoing issue for me as well. I have had my bow stop welded and that does not solve the issue. What I usually do is try to float it on and crank it tight, I will then pull out of the water maybe 10 feet or so. I have the wife tell me if the boat has separated from the bow roller. If so, I will back it in the water quick and tighten further. This usually does the trick. I am considering going to the Fulton winch.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
on my thread with the Ramp-N-Clamp you will notice the pics of the new bow stop i posted about
I too had the same problem with my boat buckle straps loosening up. (sometimes very loose) After installing the ramp-n-clamp today... when i got home, both boat buckles were as tight as when i first put them on. Very pleased

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is an ongoing issue for me as well. I have had my bow stop welded and that does not solve the issue. What I usually do is try to float it on and crank it tight, I will then pull out of the water maybe 10 feet or so. I have the wife tell me if the boat has separated from the bow roller. If so, I will back it in the water quick and tighten further. This usually does the trick. I am considering going to the Fulton winch.
You won't go wrong with the Fulton winch. It has cut my time loading the boat easily in half. It could pull a tank tight onto our trailer.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our ritual, which takes seconds.... Wife drives boat onto trailer,as it slows and is just on the bunks she raises RPM's to just over 3k. I winch it tight, hook the security tie and pull the trailer/boat out WHILE SHE STILL HAS RPM's RAISED. As soon as its out of the water she cuts engines. This keeps it up pretty well but still when we go down the next hill I brake hard, get out and make sureit is tight.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting! I didn't think I should really try to pull the boat up further on the trailer with the boat out of the water. I was worried that something would break. I do pull it very tight. I did check the winch and it is very tight no slack. I do make the mistake of taking too much strap out so I will make sure that doesn't happen any more. Sounds like this is kind of a typical problem. Is the strap itself maybe at fault with having stretch? Is it worth while to get a better quality strap? Just thinking about various solutions. I am ordering the new bow roller this week.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do not try to pull the boat up when it's out of the water on the trailer! After I pull it out and hit the brakes quick/hard when going down the first hill and I generally have 1/2 turn to make it taught BUT I DON'T PULL IT TIGHTER, that will cause damage over time if you keep doing that.