• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

long story: Going to need some professional help, I ...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
F'd-up, screwed the pooch, chocked, didn't man up, beat the bishop, spanked the monkey ... uh, the last two mean something else.

What am I typing about? After owning four jet boats since 2001 and many jet skis since 1988 I finally damaged my boat to the point that I need to take it to the shop for some hull/gel coat repair.

Long story: I boated 45 miles to old Sacramento a few weeks ago. When I got there I insisted on docking on the inside (the side of the dock closest to shore and away from traffic). I've done it successfully numerous times over the past 7 years and so I didn't think much about doing it again.

1. Before I even get to the dock I have to drive under a walkway leading to the street. I came in to slow and hit current I wasn't expecting which caused the stern to swing around and hit the barge holding up the walkway I mentioned. This took a 1" x 2" divot out of the gel coat on the high side of the swim deck (above the speaker and towards the exterior). Also damaged is the hydro turf I installed there.

2. Next I take two or three shots at docking with a tail current before finally getting into position to let someone off the boat with lines. What happened next is totally humbling, all I had to do was give it a little reverse but I moved the throttles forward instead high caused the boat to spring forward and hit the heavy metal mount that holds one of the dock posts/piles in place. I heard fiberglass crunching but didn't stop to check it out until the boat was tied off which happened quickly after the collision, just needed to apply a lot more throttle in the right direction. Ended up with three dime sized holes on the port side above the waterline and protruding into the anchor locker.

I'm to "wise" to dwell on this so I Quickly accepted full responsibility, the fact that I can't fix it myself so I'm at least $300 something in (for the insurance deductible), another $ 300 to $1000 in for new hydro turf or sea deck throughout the boat (may as well use the opportunity to upgrade) and that this wasn't going to ruin my weekend with good old friends so I didn't. Instead I ran to the local ace hardware the next morning, bought some high end silicone and patched the holes / cracks in the bow with it before completing the job with black gorilla tape. I didn't want the interior fiberglass up/in there to get wet. Afterwards I proceeded to have a great weekend.

Well it's time for me to think about how and when I will handle the repairs. I have repaired a few pwc hulls but I don't want to chance it (considering my raleative lack of skills at repairing fiberglass) on the boat and will likely have all the accumulated scratches and dock rash of the last 7 years repaired as well. I will call my insurance company in a few weeks when the season will be over for most pleasure boaters around me, first I will have to strip off at least some of the hydro turf on the back. I hope that like my auto insurance company my boat insurance company will point me to a few local shops that do this kind of repair work. I don't really care if it takes a few weeks or even one to two months to get the work done so long as it is done before next Memorial Day.

It was an expensive trip but well worth it. I'd do it again at the drop of a hat.

By the way, my fiends and I got progressively better at docking through the weekend. By the time we got the boat back on the trailer three days later we looked like pros.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't get complacent and take things for granted. If I would have put some more thought into where I was docking and how not much or any damage would have occurred. The first big red flag was how far and fast the boated got pushed sideways as I passed near and under the walkway.
2. When in doubt, throttle out (that is use them but first verify that I will move them in the correct direction).

Basic advice I know but if you are ever in a similar situation it may come in very useful and help you avoid a big bill.

I will try to post a few more pics this weekend but here is one of the dock area and my boat pointing into the current.
IMG_2087.JPG

happens to everyone.... so i hear... cause.... I.... i never have messed up my boat and had to take it to a fiberglass shop 20 min from my house to have the hull fixed where i was an idiot and messed it up..... :(

@Ronnie great post and introspection. Welcome to the "stay humble" docking club. Was with a friend the other day and on one of his first outings on his new boat he makes a near perfect dock in some challenging tides and winds. He turns to me for a high-five and says this is a lot easier than I thought. He has seen my handy work for years ... contoured positions, fibreglass losing the battle against wood ... a rub rail that looks like battle armour. I tell him to stay humble, but I am pretty sure he had already angered the docking gods with the display of cockiness. We know how this story ends ... the docking gods hand him a beat down on his next outing.

Another good piece of advice.....never be afraid to use a boat hook!

My boat was almost hit last weekend by someone who took the advice of "when in doubt power out", except he didn't understand physics! He was trying to spin around in the water behind my docked boat in an attempt to line up to his slip 1 slip down from me. He fucked it up Royally and was mad at himself I think, so he throttled up in an attempt to not hit my boat. Instead, he hit the dock next to my boat HARD, the boat next to me HARD, the dock on the other side of that HARD! Fortunately for his boat it was a piece of shit pontoon, so only a bunch of dents and scratches in his boat. But he broke the skeg of the outboard on the boat next to me.

All he should have done is STOP. Fend off with a boat hook (as his boat is light), and use the same hook to grab the dock, pull in, let someone off with a line, and dock.

Instead of calmly docking with the use of a boat hook, he made a massive ass of himself smashing into other peoples boats and docks at high speed (probably drunk).

A boat doesn't show the hundreds of good landings the captain has done....but it sure does show the one or two rough ones.

A boat doesn't show the hundreds of good landings the captain has done....but it sure does show the one or two rough ones.

The same is true in the aviation business!

Sorry about the misfortune but these sound like fairly minor holes to repair. Any competent shop should have no issue making her look new again. The only thing I would look for, with a flashlight, are spider cracks that might radiate out from the impact area. Make sure those get repaired as sometimes people over look them...

I'm chalking this one up to "shit happens", thankfully nonody was injured and it did not make the boat unusable. I still had a great time. This just accelerated my boat's tlc timeline and will unexpectedly exercise my boat insurance policy.

Im taking the boat out for the last time this season tomorrow, i will post pics of the damaged areas afterwards (i did not take any the weekend it happened, didnt need the reminder).

@Julian, what you stated rings so true but burns as well because i know or knew that already and i have a telescoping gaf in my ski locker right now which has been there for years, used only to retrieve a few hats. Its also similar to what i do when i have a hard time powerloading the boat onto its trailer, that is, do it the old fashion way, walk it / pull it onto the trailer with docking lines.

I'm chalking this one up to "shit happens", thankfully nonody was injured and it did not make the boat unusable. I still had a great time. This just accelerated my boat's tlc timeline and will unexpectedly exercise my boat insurance policy.

Im taking the boat out for the last time this season tomorrow, i will post pics of the damaged areas afterwards (i did not take any the weekend it happened, didnt need the reminder).

@Julian, what you stated rings so true but burns as well because i know or knew that already and i have a telescoping gaf in my ski locker right now which has been there for years, used only to retrieve a few hats. Its also similar to what i do when i have a hard time powerloading the boat onto its trailer, that is, do it the old fashion way, walk it / pull it onto the trailer with docking lines.

Yeah...in the heat of the moment in a current is way different than discussing things behind a keyboard later! One thing I have noticed after spending a week with my brother in Bimini....having a 2nd mate (my wife) who knows where everything is, and is willing to get it out ASAP when she sees something developing helps a ton! I rarely get my boat hook out....but this is a good lesson to all of us. When its windy and/or high current, get the hook out before you approach the dock, so you are ready with it in case its needed. (making mental note to self!)

I started prepping the boat for shop and winter storage yesterday and remembered to take these pics of the damage on the back. On a related note i told my wife that i planned to replace all of the hydro turf on the boat and the carpet as well, she prefers the carpet so i just saved a few hundred dollars.
IMG_9843.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9845.JPG
    IMG_9845.JPG
    699.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9846.JPG
    IMG_9846.JPG
    726.6 KB · Views: 18
Hey Ronnie....sorry to hear about that mis-hap. After my first year on my old 232, I had to have some fiberglass warranty work done on it. I had it done through Tracy Motorsports and they sent it out to an outside shop. Ya might call them as ask who they use...

Thanks @Matt Phillips. Im debating whether i should have the glass work done now before winter storage or just before the next season starts. I would like to take it in sooner than later but taking it in sooner means more immediate work for me.

Here are some pics of the bow damage, i think it looks worse than it is, the clear stuff is silicone the grey stuff is from the gorilla dict tape i used to patch the area. i did not have time to take pics of the interior of the anchor locker.

Looks like its time for a new scuff plate as well. Burns a little to think that if the boat was pointed just two inches to the right when i choked i may only be replacing the scuff plate.
IMG_9850.JPG IMG_9852.JPG IMG_9853.JPG

I did this with my old exciter once. Seperate throttles and reverse/forward levers. I had it in reverse side walking to the dock, reached over to put into forward and accidentally hit one of the throttles, full speed! Rammed the boat full reverse into a nice hard metal dock support and had a baseball sized hole. That month i learned to fiberglass and gelcoat! No one ever could see where i hit it and repaired!
Miss my first boat....

Bummer @Ronnie ! Hate that, but you definitely have the right attitude. And thinking, if this was me and it was convenient enough, I'd get it fixed sooner than later. That way there are no potential delays for you hitting the water next season on time.

Ouch...just looking at those pics made me cringe.

If it were me, I'd get it done now for a few main: 1) it may take several weeks to get it repaired (depending on how busy the glass shop is); 2) you'll seal that damage to keep any moisture from the upcoming rainy season from getting in; and 3) the boat will be ready to go when Spring rolls around...not possibly waiting in a backed-up shop.

I agree, I plan to remove the turf from the damaged area at the stern and the bow scuff plate (most likely after I remove the bow stop) before I call/take it in at the end of this month. Removing the rest of the turf can wait and I may be able to get my son and his friends to do it cheap.

Sorry to hear about the mishap @Ronnie ! That should clean up just fine, you probably won't even see the repair when it's done.

Glad it didn't happen at the start of the season. You have plenty of time to get it taken care of. :cool:

Back