• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for Yami Jet Boat

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all
I’m in search of a great reliable Yami for running the Delta in California.
I currently own a range of watercraft and a 27 foot Cobalt. Love the Cobalt but during low tide I’d sure love a shorter jet boat.
It’s usually just my wife and I but we often have 4 on the boat.
We’re no longer into water sports and want a comfortable ride in choppy to smooth water conditions.
I really like the 1.8 litre in my FZR but I’m not opposed to the smaller engines if they’re as reliable and trouble free as the 1.8.
I love the idea of twin engines.
I’d love a boat that runs in low to high 50’s
Suggestions please:)

Attachments

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
want a comfortable ride in choppy to smooth water conditions
I love the idea of twin engines.
I’d love a boat that runs in low to high 50’s
That would narrow it down to a 2015+ 240/242s. With trim tabs installed, IMO. The new 212s would do for speed, but IMO those are totally overpriced. Unless you wake surf and get the X, the 24s are generally a better deal/value.
Very low 50s is the best you can do with twins, speed-wise, don't let anyone mislead you thinking otherwise. Again, IMO.

On the other hand, a 190 can be a fantastic boat for 4 when running in a narrow channel and/or really shallow. And if you get stuck you still have a fighting chance to get it unstuck even by yourself (please don't ask how I know that, lol). Those 190s are a lot more loud though. Except the new 195s maybe okay - since Yamaha discovered that soundproofing can be used in boats.

--

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am also looking into a jet boat because of the shallow water AND a boat that is easier to maintain/service. We are also looking to down size and get something a little faster. The 240 limited e series and the Scarab are on my list of boats to check out, although, I may wait to see what is in the 2019 line up.

The other advantage is we can tow a jet boat. We live on a canal and have a boat lift but it will be great to hook the boat up and to trailer anywhere we want.

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On the other hand, a 190 can be a fantastic boat for 4 when running in a narrow channel and/or really shallow. And if you get stuck you still have a fighting chance to get it unstuck even by yourself (please don't ask how I know that, lol). Those 190s are a lot more loud though. Except the new 195s maybe okay - since Yamaha discovered that soundproofing can be used in boats.

--
So I’m intrigued with the 195 for the simple fact it’s more the size I’m looking for 19-21 feet.
It’ll run 52 with the 1.8 I like. No twins but it is a very reliable power plant so maybe the redundancy isn’t needed.
If I really need larger and more powerful, I can use my 27 footer (425hp/63mph) and wait for high tide.
Sure wish the 195 had been out a few years earlier.
How about some of the older 20-21 footers and the older power plant?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m intrigued with the 195 for the simple fact it’s more the size I’m looking for 19-21 feet.
It’ll run 52 with the 1.8 I like. No twins but it is a very reliable power plant so maybe the redundancy isn’t needed.
If I really need larger and more powerful, I can use my 27 footer (425hp/63mph) and wait for high tide.
Sure wish the 195 had been out a few years earlier.
How about some of the older 20-21 footers and the older power plant?
As far as the older power plant, you would need a 212 with the MR-1 HOs to come close to 50, the 210s with non-HOs are plenty quick but not fast.
I my experience looking to purchase a 212 - those hold value ridiculously well, tend to be pricey to purchase new or old. As compared to 190s or 240s. But the 195s are not cheap either.

195 has a lot of appeal to me. Cruising over flat water you can get good fuel economy, but if you need speed - this is the fastest boat in the Yamaha jet boat line up, hands down. And the only boat with the SC, and the 160mm pump.

Whatever you decide - take one or two for a ride. They are different! And - loud.

--

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very helpful
I’m he’ll bent on the speed and feel like even 52 is very slow but it’s doable as the sprints aren't often (but needed:)
We actually do most of our boating in around 40-45 so I’m hoping it’s a little quieter at those speeds and the more important thing is to have jet power on the Delta.
The clean out sounds like a must have-very good idea.
I’m hoping the “deep vee” in a 19 is good enough for the water on the river. Even a test drive is never enough time to see what the boats really like but it’s not like I’m going to take it into the ocean hehe
Thanks for the info!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you do most of your boating at 40-45 mph I don't think a Yamaha would be a good choice. The noise they make is awful at those speeds and fuel economy is going to suffer.

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Even the new quieter 195?
As far as fuel economy, I do wish it were better but I’m used to 300 horse PWC, you can literally bury 17 gallons in 30-40 minutes, now that’s poor fuel economy lol.
What other jet boat would you recommend?
I’m pretty pleased with the reliability of that 1.8.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even the new quieter 195?
Yep. "Quieter" is relative here, lol.
They are still F@CKING LOUD. (sorry, but that's one thing I hate about these jet boats; very difficult to remedy POST production)

--

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep. "Quieter" is relative here, lol.
They are still F@CKING LOUD. (sorry, but that's one thing I hate about these jet boats; very difficult to remedy POST production)

--
Hehe
It is relative but let’s hope the reviews which say passengers can talk to each other is true.
Regardless, unfortunately, a jet is needed on the less than 3ft feep areas.
Although I’ve always wanted one of those sir boats:)

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I checked out a 195
This boat is not made for people with size 13 shoes.
On the passenger side I couldn’t place my feet flat on the ground. I’d literally have to twist my seat to make enough room.
Front cockpit area??
Laughable. My wife at just 5.5 and 110 dripping wet was uncomfortable in the front.
The boat also has very little free board, seat bases are way to short, no comfort here.ÿ
Time to start looking for larger

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I’m going to get into 24 feet and 60+K I may as well just take my 27 foot Cobalt and throw a new set of props at it once a year.
I’ll check out the 21 footer otherwise maybe it’s time for a custom jet boat builder.
As I recall there are a few builders in Arizona.
My simple chore is getting complicated lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I’m going to get into 24 feet and 60+K I may as well just take my 27 foot Cobalt and throw a new set of props at it once a year.
Are you looking for a family/sports boat or a speed boat?

The Yammies are basically Swiss Army knifes of boats, they will do anything almost any boat that size will do. That's why we like them here. The new ones with the "keel" handle very much like traditional bow-riders, and could not be more different from those flat bottom speed jet boat w/hamilton pumps and big rooster tail.

What speeds you are looking to achieve? I can not imagine wanting much more that 50mph for a family boat... The new 24s and 195s will do it all day long, on gps.

Out of curiosity, what are your top speeds in the 27 cobalt? With that boat I would be happy to get to 40. Even with a custom golden-plated prop reading factory speedo while heading out with the current/tide. :D

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you looking for a family/sports boat or a speed boat?

The Yammies are basically Swiss Army knifes of boats, they will do anything almost any boat that size will do. That's why we like them here. The new ones with the "keel" handle very much like traditional bow-riders, and could not be more different from those flat bottom speed jet boat w/hamilton pumps and big rooster tail.

What speeds you are looking to achieve? I can not imagine wanting much more that 50mph for a family boat... The new 24s and 195s will do it all day long, on gps.

Out of curiosity, what are your top speeds in the 27 cobalt? With that boat I would be happy to get to 40. Even with a custom golden-plated prop reading factory speedo while heading out with the current/tide. :D

--
63 mph on his cobalt is what he said earlier.

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Exactly correct. If I want to go decently fast I’ll take the Cobalt during high tide.
With the 496 and 425 horse they scoot along very nicely and you don’t lose sight of the horizon for even one millisecond.

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Really I just want a boat that’ll run low 50’s, hold 4 people and be a jet drive so I can run the sloughs of the river.
More people or more speed, I’ll take the Cobalt.
I just looked at the Ultra jet boat and see plenty used that’ll fit the bill.
Large big block (I’ve never complained about fuel economy), above 50, open bow and hold 4+ all for far less than a new 24 foot Yami.
But I am one of these guys that will keep searching and ride in every boat until I truly feel great with my purchase. If I spend more than I want I’ll get over it but interestingly, the pricing of Yamaha will make me look at other manufacturers and I’m not opposed to used:)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is 56mph yammie!
"look ma, no hands'!"

EDIT: For the record, that boat will run 49-50mph all day long.
Can she do 56mph? - yes.
Would I call her a 56mph boat? - no.

--

Attachments

ph2ocraft

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think so.
(63mph? a 8.2 merc I/O in a 27ft boat????????) Maybe on a highway?

--
OK
But you may not want to bet any money on your statement.
I’ll even give you a chance to go to Cobaltchat.com and see just how many of us run low 60’s and better.
I’ll even tell you my Bravo II is running 26’s with a gear ratio of 1.81.
As for the highway, I’ve never towed her.
There’s a reason folks buy Cobalt and it isn’t just the awesome quality of the boat.