• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose Cleat Help

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a my rear port cleat getting loose. Can't reach it easily so I will stack together several extensions and go at blind..My question..Does anyone know what the size of these nuts are? My boat is 90 minutes away and I don't want to carry every socket with me..lol
Thanks in advance

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2008 they are 1-1/4" (that is what I recall) and you need a deep socket. Tightening them is a PITA but all mine were a bit loose. Not enough to wiggle but the nuts were loose. I still havent got to the mid one on the drivers side. Cam.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used a 32mm deep socket on mine, 32mm = 1.25984 inch close enough to 1 1/4. Also, to prevent future loosening put blue loctite on the threads. If you can't reach to put the loctite on, then loosen both nuts, have someone on the outside pull the cleat out, put the loctite on, push in the cleat, and then the person in the hole can tighten the nuts.

If you remove your battery (s) you or a small person can get in the hole and shimmy back there. I was able to get to mine and I am 5' 11" and 200 lbs.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I weren't on the other side of the world I would have gone out to the garage to read the size off the socket I bought....but 1" 1/4 sounds right. They are a PITA to reach...but it can be done!

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Am I reading that correctly? The bolts/nuts to the cleat are 1-1/4" That sounds awfully large.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Am I reading that correctly? The bolts/nuts to the cleat are 1-1/4" That sounds awfully large.
Yes they have big nuts. I don't know enough about the 19' but on the 23 & 24 you can easily see them from the bow anchor locker.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The nuts are big, not sure the size, but find someone small to fit in compartment to tighten up the cleat up. Thats what i did.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I couldn't remember the size but it looks like I just sent her in with a med. size crescent and vice grips, don't for the get the locktite so you don't have to do it again,

IMG_2828.jpg IMG_2825.jpg

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do y'all know if they are loose? Do they not stay up when you pull them up?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the mounting plate on the hull of the boat will wobble or if really loose pull up away from the boat when you lift the cleat,

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, thanks again Scott. I'll check that looseness this week and if they are I'll put my 6 yo to work with a wrench. He loves to be on the boat anyway.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PEARCE ..where you at? I'd like to borrow your 6 year old. Worth a large waffle cone double scoop from the Circle K. Lol

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Lspeedss , I'm in North Texas east of Dallas. If you were a little closer I'm sure we could work something out.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I saw that after I asked. Lol

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You'll know if it is loose! And don't let it sit like that too long. If the nut falls off, it is a PITA to find. Mine was loose at Shelbyville one year, and we didn't have a wrench and weren't inclined to fix it on the spot. By the time we trailer back home the nut had fallen off.....that is where I learned the shop vac trick of finding things in the bilge!

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a bag of nyloc nuts and when the get loose I change them out with them. I got them at Mcmaster Carr. Can't remember how much, but they were such a PITA to get to, I only wanted to do them once. I tried the lock tight. They vibrated loose on the rear again.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a bag of nyloc nuts and when the get loose I change them out with them. I got them at Mcmaster Carr. Can't remember how much, but they were such a PITA to get to, I only wanted to do them once. I tried the lock tight. They vibrated loose on the rear again.
Can you find the specifics on them? I assume there are different threads?