• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose grab rail starboard bow Yamaha 252SE

Terry Power

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The grab rail is loose....I imagine it can be tightened from underneath the storage compartment. Any advice? Or do I need a special tool? Or do I need to call someone to tighten it up? Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The grab rail is loose....I imagine it can be tightened from underneath the storage compartment. Any advice? Or do I need a special tool? Or do I need to call someone to tighten it up? Thanks!
No special tools required. Access is from one of the following:

Cupholder
Speaker
Under seat

Put long sleeves on.
Get an extension socket
Might need child labor!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You need to pull the fiberglass insert. It sucks to put back in. Be careful with seats.

Danrich

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
This also happened to me I had them tighten it up under warranty when I did my winterization. I am hoping they put some thread lock on it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Vibration rattles them loose. it's usually a lay down under the seat and reach up there to tighten. Long sleeve shirt is nice as that fiberglass Is itchy!

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Apologies for the stupid question... but should I use locktite red or blue in the threads?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Apologies for the stupid question... but should I use locktite red or blue in the threads?
Blue holds well and is easy to break free if needed with wrenches. Red is for permanent hold and needs heat to break free. I prefer to use blue for anything I think I may need to change or adjust down the road where I can't or shouldn't use heat. I have used it for years on the old boats and it's never come loose on its own.

MikeT29

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had the same issue with my 2021 AR250, bow grab bar had come completely free of the bolt during our last outing in fall. Had the dealer fix it, along with tightening up the speaker insert on same side.

Kelly Webster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ours came loose on our 252SE as well. Still under warranty so I took it to the dealership and fixed it for me pretty quick.

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have the same boat and had the same problem. The forward stud is accessed through speaker hole and the rear stud is accessed by taking the horn out

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Good to know this was the easy way to fix it. seems like many have this same issue. View attachment 201849
make sure you lock tie all bolts you can easily access, they will find a way to get loose, head door, helm locker etc, let me know if you need anything else

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
FYI - at least on my 252SE - removing the speaker is not enough to reach the forward hand rail bolt. You have to remove the entire speaker trim. Start with the speaker. Then there are four bolts that you have to remove from the inside (access under the seat or through speaker hole and then also remove the two cup holders (rotate chrome trim and pull off cap to expose three bolts) in order for the trim to slide out. Be delicate because the four bolts are simply glued to the piece of trim. It’s a massive pain. Really wish they would have added some locktight or something.

Now looking at this thread I think I did it the hard way.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
FYI - at least on my 252SE - removing the speaker is not enough to reach the forward hand rail bolt. You have to remove the entire speaker trim. Start with the speaker. Then there are four bolts that you have to remove from the inside (access under the seat or through speaker hole and then also remove the two cup holders (rotate chrome trim and pull off cap to expose three bolts) in order for the trim to slide out. Be delicate because the four bolts are simply glued to the piece of trim. It’s a massive pain. Really wish they would have added some locktight or something.

Now looking at this thread I think I did it the hard way.
On the starboard side remove your horn and u will have acess