• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost 10mph from Top Speed

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
242x used to get 48-50. Couldnt pass 39 today one person full tank. Nothing really different. RPMs were 7400 each. I have had some water build up in the engine compartment- bilge issue some of you are familiar with. Could this be related? Searching threads I find that its probably not an oil or air intake issue w/ normal RPMs.

boat otherwise runs fine and engines sound normal.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Filthy bottom? restricted/ hanging reverse gate? Debris?(Not likely since it happened all day)

With reaching full RPM the issue must be external to the engine. (Pump, impeller, wear ring, boat bottom, etc)

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are your ballast tanks empty? I once had my center one full without realizing it and that cost me about 5-7 mph

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
242x used to get 48-50. Couldnt pass 39 today one person full tank. Nothing really different. RPMs were 7400 each. I have had some water build up in the engine compartment- bilge issue some of you are familiar with. Could this be related? Searching threads I find that its probably not an oil or air intake issue w/ normal RPMs.

boat otherwise runs fine and engines sound normal.
You wet slip so you get the scum. I have same thing with my ‘07. I have lost about 10 on the top end of my boat too. Get some oxalic acid (powder and mix it up) from Amazon for cheap, spray it then wipe off the filth. Give it some wax and you’ll be back up to 50 in no time.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I read previous post about your bilge and notice you keep in water. If you do not have bottom paint you will build up a lot of crap if in salt or brackish water. That for sure will slow you down add some water weight in the bilge and that might be your problem.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wetslipping will grow algae and let lime & scale attach to your boat and instead of being a smooth hull going through the water your pushing sandpaper through water.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are your ballast tanks empty? I once had my center one full without realizing it and that cost me about 5-7 mph
yes i did check that. Gonna do some more inspections today.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I read previous post about your bilge and notice you keep in water. If you do not have bottom paint you will build up a lot of crap if in salt or brackish water. That for sure will slow you down add some water weight in the bilge and that might be your problem.
i am fresh water but I don’t doubt there is build-up. Thanks

jdrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Any updates on this? Im wondering if this is my problem. I have a 2006 sr210 and it won't go above 35 WOT (close to 9000 rpm on both motors). The prior owners put bottom paint on and the antifouling paint is in pretty rough shape. Looking to have it repainted this fall. Not using antifoul paint since I trailer it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A dirty hull will take off significant top speed and will force a higher rpm to reach any speed (vs clean hull).

When my boat is filthy....top speed is 35mph!!!!!! This is why I bought an airdock!