• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maintenance Time! pix of the products

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
after extensive board search.... this is what I've come-up with to use tonight on my

2011 Yamaha SX-240.

If I'm wrong, please speak now. I will be installing this tonight. I realize the oil is up-for-debate, but many people suggest the Valvoline synthetic blend (what I picked). I also understand that many people suggest the Yamaha Oil Filter, due its fleece inners and overall better quality; but I picked the K&N cause its not a bad filter, and I plan to replace often. I elected for regular spark plugs (hoping the model I picked fits the engines I have), instead of Iridium, because I plan on replacing those often as well. For the price, the regular spark plugs were my choice. Is the model correct I picked for my engine? Thx for any input.

- Kross

Edited by Admin Julian to show a photo of the correct spark plugs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you could go with most any reasonable brand of oil and filter whereas MOST of us don't get near the service interval during the season. That being said you may want to stay away from some products like Fram filters that have the cardboard end on the filter media. Brand name oil is pretty much the same as long as it meets OEM specs. Yamaha DOES NOT MAKE OIL. it is made for them, they stick their name on it and charge a premium. I also use the K&N filters. I find them fine for the short interval I use them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks good to me.

Please remember to warm up the engines before extracting the oil. It is much easier that way.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That spark plug number is the wrong one. Should be part #6668 LFR6A @Kross

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice one @Boat Crazy. That would have been one "slow boat to China." :winkingthumbsup"

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your selection of products looks good. I don't use valvoline oil but hear good things about it. Cam.

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
and Done! Thanks @Boat Crazy and @Bruce! Thought you'd enjoy seeing the old ones. Notice the corrosion on a few. Gotta love the salt water in Tampa.

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Grease? I put anti-seize on the new ones going in. Is that what u are asking?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used the Valvoline this year, there was a BIG rebate if you bought a Purolator filter with it. I've used the Purolators with good results so I went with them again; I think I got the oil for about $15/5 qts after rebate.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Kross I would like to add this thread to the FAQ for all to benefit from, but I'm afraid some might take the pic and go to town not realizing the plugs are the wrong ones. Any way to reshoot and replace the original image (or I could just modify it and replace it if you approve)?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Grease? I put anti-seize on the new ones going in. Is that what u are asking?
@Kross, I think @Glassman may have been referring to greasing the main bearing. How long were those plugs in?

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Kross I would like to add this thread to the FAQ for all to benefit from, but I'm afraid some might take the pic and go to town not realizing the plugs are the wrong ones. Any way to reshoot and replace the original image (or I could just modify it and replace it if you approve)?
tossed all the packages, but feel free to modify the pic and/or use it in anyway you'd like.

- Kross

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Kross, I think @Glassman may have been referring to greasing the main bearing. How long were those plugs in?
plugs were in 1.5 years.. (i know, i know... shoulda done this 6 months ago)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody else see the odd plug? Looks as if it doesn't see any heat......is it firing?

@Kross How did it run before?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Third from the left looks cold! :coldfeet:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody else see the odd plug? Looks as if it doesn't see any heat......is it firing?

@Kross How did it run before?
wow. Great call there. So after your comment, I dug through the trash (smelled worse than you are imagining) to find that plug. Turns out, i accidentally rubbed anti-seize all over it (for no good reason, it was late) instead of rubbing it on a new plug. Thats why it looks like that. I didn't even realize I had done it until I pulled the plug from the trash tonight and noticed the guu coming off on my hand. A good rinsing later, it looks like all the rest.

again, great observation. well played sir! Thanks for all the engagement.

- Kross