• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Member map not working on iPad

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AndyB, there is some interesting feedback on the members map in this thread.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked and can't find myself on the map. Not sure which city I was traveling in when it grabbed my IP, but it certainly wasn't my home town.

Can I opt out of the map?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just checked and can't find myself on the map. Not sure which city I was traveling in when it grabbed my IP, but it certainly wasn't my home town.

Can I opt out of the map?

Looking at the database data it should show me at 32.6255, -97.0784 which it does. That is south of Dallas / Fort Worth in an area that I have not visited in over a year.

The database shows you in Columbus which is also shown on the map.

Both of us are in clusters which I assume have come from the geolocation of mobile data IPs.

I could create a user group that opted out of geolocation. I am hopeful that can be implemented on an individual user basis.

I believe that it would be better to use the declared location for users who provide it.

The map updates are monthly so they are not revealing your location or showing your travel in real time.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 2.49.27 PM.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't been in Columbus in over a year. That's wierd.

How did you find me on the map? It's there a search?

Keep us posted on the opt out group.

Thanks for the help!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you find me on the map? It's there a search?
The map does not have any way to search for users. I searched the database that is used to generate the map.

That data does not include the IP that was goelocated. Geolocation data often is poor for mobile data. The IPs are registered to a central location and passed out based on need. You and I likely were using mobile IPs that mapped to DFW and Columbus right before the update.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce are we running the DragonByte member map? The addons list suggests we are not....

It still has me in the Bahamas....I wish! LOL

Would be so much better if it would go by your stated location first, then by your IP if you don't have one. Then all we'd need to do is tell anyone who doesn't want their location shown to just put their State in their location, then they'd be anonymous.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce are we running the DragonByte member map? The addons list suggests we are not....

It still has me in the Bahamas....I wish! LOL

Would be so much better if it would go by your stated location first, then by your IP if you don't have one. Then all we'd need to do is tell anyone who doesn't want their location shown to just put their State in their location, then they'd be anonymous.
I switched to the XF2Addons map which is much more functional. The developer should be seeing this thread.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't exist on the map anymore.

Screenshot_20190613-092906_Chrome.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just FYI,
I just checked and Betik, Txav8r and myself are not listed on the map (at least where we should be)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The new map determines your location based on your IP address - so where you provider is located. This isn't always optimal....and if you use a VPN, can put you way off in who knows where! It also has some sort of time cutoff and only displays "active" members, and refreshes on a limited timeframe. @Bruce can perhaps illuminate us on what he learned when he dug into it....

There is an update (V1.4) that would allow us to chose the "active days"....we'll update to that at some point....

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian, I believe the active days feature would reduce the number of members displayed to those that had been recently active.

I agree that this map is not as good as it could be but it is the best of what is currently available. I discussed our issues with the developer and pointed him to this thread. Unfortunately our members and the developer disagree about the optimal function of the member map.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian, I believe the active days feature would reduce the number of members displayed to those that had been recently active.

I agree that this map is not as good as it could be but it is the best of what is currently available. I discussed our issues with the developer and pointed him to this thread. Unfortunately our members and the developer disagree about the optimal function of the member map.
Does the current version not have some built in/hard coded activity cut off? Clearly it isn't mapping everyone all the time (as an example, I looked up where Zipper logged in from, and his IP would have put him close to Burlington VT-where he lives, but he's nowhere to be seen).

Pity the developer wouldn't put in the option to map off the profile location first, then IP location if no profile location exists. That would allow people to be anonymous if they wanted to (by entering "Antarctica" for example).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the current version not have some built in/hard coded activity cut off? Clearly it isn't mapping everyone all the time (as an example, I looked up where Zipper logged in from, and his IP would have put him close to Burlington VT-where he lives, but he's nowhere to be seen).

Pity the developer wouldn't put in the option to map off the profile location first, then IP location if no profile location exists. That would allow people to be anonymous if they wanted to (by entering "Antarctica" for example).
I agree...based on the map, I have gone off the radar. I am not listed in Vermont or any of these pins in the screenshot...And I can see Burlington from my house. ;)
Just above in post #6 I was good, in post #14 it put me in Enosburg. Now I am not to be found.
Screenshot_20190613-184920_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just an fyi,

The map does seem to be loading much faster now but,,,

The window that pops up to show the member name is now blank, it will expand the window like there are multiple members in the spot but no names are listed,
pretty sure this worked properly last week or two ago,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was working on my windows computer but also the android phone displays the same,

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was working on my windows computer but also the android phone displays the same,

Are you using the new dark format?

I just tested with Dark style, and it APPEARS blank, but in actuality, the text is there just in light yellow font. If you point at it with a mouse it shows you the names.....

Not sure how easy that will be to fix in the style.... going to check with the style author to see....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you using the new dark format?

I just tested with Dark style, and it APPEARS blank, but in actuality, the text is there just in light yellow font. If you point at it with a mouse it shows you the names.....

Not sure how easy that will be to fix in the style.... going to check with the style author to see....
You are correct, I was using the dark format and the names did show up once I scrolled over the pop up window,

just another fyi, I'm still not showing up on the map (at least where I should be)

I know this is work in progress and the map has issues, just letting somebody know,

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are correct... I'm still not showing up on the map (at least where I should be)

I know this is work in progress and the map has issues, just letting somebody know,

Ditto. Not on the Map.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The new map uses your IP address as your location. So you may not show up where you actually live. Also, it seems really random as to when it decides to put you on the map.

Unfortunately the old map addon is no longer available...so this is all we have. Hopefully someone will write a better map add on soon!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have upgraded the member map add on. Would users please check to see if it is:

1) Working on the iPad
2) shows them on the map

This is a great utility for us! Thanks to @Bruce and @AndyB for getting this working smothly for us!