• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover vs bow and cockpit cover

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have searched the subject and found some info, just looking for some more specific info for my situation I like the mooring cover beacause it seems like there's more protection, I don't no if I will be keeping it in a slip yet, keeping it in a slip, everything I read get the bow and cockpit. I don't really want the snaps on the boat so is there anyone who keeps their boat in the water and uses the mooring cover?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I personally use the morning cover for all travel and exterior storage (minimal). I use the snap cover all season long while in the covered lift. Personally you will never notice the snaps on the boat... at least it has never been an issue for me.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would have to disagree, however it's totally a personal preference. I have a bow and cockpit cover and on my next one I will be doing a full cover with no snaps. I like clean lines and the snaps take away from that.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem with the mooring cover, while in the water is the connection points on the back of the boat. I always feel like a contortionist putting it on and never tighten the strap. I've seen newer ones that have the strap on the side, which might work better.

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi I installed my bow and cockpit myself because when I purchased the boat it needed a new cover. I keep my boat in a slip all summer. I like the fact that I can leave the bow cover on in cooler days and stay a little warmer which means more boating. Yes you have snaps on boat but I too don't even notice them.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...and, when you take it to Bimini, you can leave that bow cover on to avoid waves over the bow completely flooding your boat.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys tow with the bow and cockpit covers ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My boat stays on a lift on a dock, so it already has some protection from the roof.

Having said that, my previous boat had the button/snaps and after three or so years, they were tough to get them all snapped. In the ten years I had that boat, I prolly got all snaps to snap once. And it was always a two man job to stretch that cover just to get the snaps over the snap.

I absolutely love the complete, fully adjustable mooring cover I have now. It's on and off very quick and easily a one person job.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my bow and cockpit covers. I wet slip my boat and find them much easier to deal with than the mooring cover. I have towed with them on for 100miles four or five times with no issues. I also like the fact that on colder days keeping the bow cover on keeps it a little warmer in the cockpit. I installed mine in an afternoon. It's not that difficult if your relatively good with tools. Here are a few picturesimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat on a lift and I can tell you that the mooring cover is a real B@TCH!! However, my previous boat had the snap on cover and I constantly had issues with bird and spider sh%t since the cover left more flat areas exposed. Also, as the cover ages and stretches out, there will be small pockets that bugs (mud daubers down here) can enter and build nests. There are pros and cons to both, but I've gotten pretty good at the mooring cover now and would never go back.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Do you apply the mooring cover on like the directions say to (front on first)? I tried that and i apply from back forst and have found that is much easier. I couldnt get mine on going front first.

Both have benefits, i guess it depends on how much stretch you have in it. It doesnt look like much stretch is necessary on the yamaha, but my previous boat (checkmate) sure was a oain in the ass to snap.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Front to back only works for wiping. You have to start from the back and work your way forward....only way.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always had b/c covers on previous boats. Last year was my first year with my current boat and I had to install that mooring cover while on an AirDock, in a slip every weekend. It sucks. I am installing b/c covers in the next couple weeks. The snaps aren't a big deal. Many boats have them.

fiendi5h

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Contemplating getting a bow cover for my boat.

Would somebody be able to post a pic of the bow cover removed? I'd like to see what it looks like with just the snaps exposed.

Thanks
Tom

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@fiendi5h Not quite the same boat but you get the idea. image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had both. Personally I didn't like the snaps so I went with the mooring cover which I thought was much easier to put on. The back of the cover got a bit wet at times but didn't seem to damage it.

IMG_7717.jpg IMG_7915.jpg The mooring cover photo is the first and only, I had the anti-pooling poles backwards but it looks much better now.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hate the snap look on the boat. But that is just me.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have the mooring cover and wet slip. We have no issue getting the boat cover on. We do have side and rear access from the dock though. That helps.