• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounting transducer in best location

KenKosB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
Could someone please help with this:
I have a 2020 Yamaha 275e and I am installing a Garmin transducer. I would like to know the best place on the transom to install it.
Thank you in advance!
Ken B

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I did a traditional transom mount with my Garmin. Used 3M 4200 to seal up holes. You want to get the transducer into clean water "water with no turbulence". This can be challenging on a Yamaha. I used a yard stick taped to the bottom of the hull. Then I lined up the transducer, making sure I was not inline with the strakes under the boat. I get great readings at speed and idle. Hope this helps.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you plan on using side scan? What about if you may put trim tabs on later? Mine is similiar to @Julian And works fantastic.

KenKosB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
I did a traditional transom mount with my Garmin. Used 3M 4200 to seal up holes. You want to get the transducer into clean water "water with no turbulence". This can be challenging on a Yamaha. I used a yard stick taped to the bottom of the hull. Then I lined up the transducer, making sure I was not inline with the strakes under the boat. I get great readings at speed and idle. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Ken

KenKosB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275E
Boat Length
HangOutdoors,
Tanks for your reply. I do not plan on using side scan or putting on trim tabs later.
Would like (and value) your opinion on best location.
Tnx

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HangOutdoors,
Tanks for your reply. I do not plan on using side scan or putting on trim tabs later.
Would like (and value) your opinion on best location.
Tnx
Mounted mine to bottom of ride plate. Works flawlessly.
IMG_9507.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bro does someone need to come take the 4200 away from you :)
As stated the last time you broke my balls on that issue. The 4200 was used to TEMPORARILY mount the wiring in case I had to remove the mounting location. Did not want to drill holes in the boat if the location did not work. You OK with that?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never saw the completed pics......

On a different note what kind of interference do you get with the Port side, side scan if any after using is for some time? Is there any ghosting? Going to try raising mine up higher, wondering if the keel will impede it. Mine is lower and once in a while it will snag some floating grass.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never saw the completed pics......

On a different note what kind of interference do you get with the Port side, side scan if any after using is for some time? Is there any ghosting? Going to try raising mine up higher, wondering if the keel will impede it. Mine is lower and once in a while it will snag some floating grass.
Seems to work fine but I never use it. I use my bass boat for fishing and I use this for the sonar and chartplotter mostly.

IMG_9509.jpg
IMG_9508.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't use my side scan much, but I hate having the feature and not being able to use it when I want to.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I attached my Garmin Transducer to the Ride Plate and ran the wire up through the wet storage drain which was t'eed off to allow the wire to run up to the dash. I just avoid drilling holes in the boat below the water line. Allows the transducer to work at all speeds. Still going strong 4 years on.

20180325_174446.jpg

Last edited:

Robniemeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Install of Transducer was done on a 2017 AR240. The Drain holes were not large enough to route the cable fitting through. Sooo, I chose to drill just above the Stbd Ride Plate and mount the transducer to the bottom of the Ride Plate by removing it and drill/tapping 2 6mm holes, then screwing the mount to the plate. Great hold and rides in a solid stream of water without cavitation. Plus the wires are out of the way and not UglyTransducer Install.png

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I attached my Garmin Transducer to the Ride Plate and ran the wire up through the wet storage drain which was t'eed off to allow the wire to run up to the dash. I just avoid drilling holes in the boat below the water line. Allows the transducer to work at all speeds. Still going strong 4 years on.

View attachment 168191
I’m running my wire through the wet storage drain as well. Do you have a picture of the T you created to get the wire out? Do you just cut a hole in the drain pipe, get the wire out, and seal with 3M 4200 or 5200?

Robniemeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Garmin Transducer fitting would not fit through the wet storage drain hole fitting and drilling the fitting to the correct size was not an option since there wasn't enough material to drill. I was hoping to do it that way, which is much easier, however as always, I had to do it another way. The fitting from the Garmin was a 12 pin fitting and greater larger than 5/8ths hole.
I must say that the placement of the transducer on my install has Zero interference and provides a very clear display. No water intrusion through the fitting I used to route the wire through.
Oh, by the way, if you ever wondered why you always have water come out when removing the plug after a day on the water, simply put the plug in and put some water in the rear beneath the cleanout access panel. You may find some very small drips around your nozzles which is due to faulty installation and sealing from the factory. Not bad leaks, but enough to make you scratch your head.
Sea Ya!