• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mr1 intermittent cylinder drop.

Hey Scott I’m in Seabrook tx so all salt water use. My boat was dry stacked for 2 years then we bought on the water so it was in my bot house on straps for 7 years then we sold the water front house now it’s back on straps at a marina. The only rainstorm was Harvey and it floated under my boat house with the the beige on. I will say the motor compartment was wet a lot with the hatch closed. I don’t have yds, idk hw many hours , oil filters spark plugs are done yearly by me and I maybe put 50 hrs a year on it. I check the oil on occasion I’m checking all the time now lol.

forgot to mention that I did pull all of the plugs and crank the motor and no fuel shot out of the spark plug holes.

Sounds like you have a problem with the injectors or ECM or both.

Gas in the oil will turn colors due to the crap in the oil. The smell of gas is your surefire indication of the presence of gas.

Now might you also have water....sure, but I'd fix one thing at a time, and you KNOW you have gas.

Sounds like you have a problem with the injectors or ECM or both.

Gas in the oil will turn colors due to the crap in the oil. The smell of gas is your surefire indication of the presence of gas.

Now might you also have water....sure, but I'd fix one thing at a time, and you KNOW you have gas.
Now that I figured out the quote reply thing lol thank you! Maybe the unburned gas in the cylinder caused the head gasket to blow now I’m getting both but it seems like to me the cylinder is loading up with gas and fowling plugs not water because I checked the plugs and one was black not clean. Also the strong smell of gas out of the exhaust makes me feel it’s a fuel issue.

Does the engine idle fine? Have your computer boxes been under water? The issue in the older boats tended to manifest itself specially in those ECUs that has suffered water submersion. There is a YDS test to activate the injector, making it pulse many times..for those with bad ECU the injector would not pulse but remain open...maybe an opportunity for diagnosis? Are you in Seabrook TX by any chance?

Does the engine idle fine? Have your computer boxes been under water? The issue in the older boats tended to manifest itself specially in those ECUs that has suffered water submersion. There is a YDS test to activate the injector, making it pulse many times..for those with bad ECU the injector would not pulse but remain open...maybe an opportunity for diagnosis? Are you in Seabrook TX by any chance?
Yes it does idle good (RPMs wise) starts well too but when u pop the hatch the motor is idleing rough shaking around compared to the other motor. Yes I’m in Seabrook tx

Hello @Seabrook unfortunately I am well versed in this topic. I had it happen twice. Both times it was my ecu. The first time from a flood of rain water and the 2nd time was a failed repair. (The 2nd time the injector was dead and was not dumping fuel at all but the motor would not spin at max rpm.) The first time it messed up, (in bimini mind you) the injector was locked open at about 80%as best I could tell. Much over about 9k rpm and the engine started looping due to not enough fuel. I had to run the engine that way for 3 hours all the way back from bimini. (There is a write up here somewhere on that adventure.) When I got the boat home amd drained the oil from the bottom plug I took out 9.5 quarts of oil out of a motor that holds 4 ish! My oil both times was not tan. It was dark and smelled horrible. If your oil is coming out tan I would call that water contamination. It is possible that the head gasket failed and is pushing fuel and water both into the crank case. Both times it failed the engine would start and idle fine but about 50 rpm down. I would prob start with a compression test and go from there. If that's good then I would sens the ECU off to be tested.

Hello @Seabrook unfortunately I am well versed in this topic. I had it happen twice. Both times it was my ecu. The first time from a flood of rain water and the 2nd time was a failed repair. (The 2nd time the injector was dead and was not dumping fuel at all but the motor would not spin at max rpm.) The first time it messed up, (in bimini mind you) the injector was locked open at about 80%as best I could tell. Much over about 9k rpm and the engine started looping due to not enough fuel. I had to run the engine that way for 3 hours all the way back from bimini. (There is a write up here somewhere on that adventure.) When I got the boat home amd drained the oil from the bottom plug I took out 9.5 quarts of oil out of a motor that holds 4 ish! My oil both times was not tan. It was dark and smelled horrible. If your oil is coming out tan I would call that water contamination. It is possible that the head gasket failed and is pushing fuel and water both into the crank case. Both times it failed the engine would start and idle fine but about 50 rpm down. I would prob start with a compression test and go from there. If that's good then I would sens the ECU off to be tested.

hey Scott thanks for the reply! Yes I read your adventure lol that is something that would totally happen to me!!! Thanks for confirming the tan oil !!! I was afraid it was water in there too oh well time to do a compression check oh boy

thanks agin for the reply and have a great week!

Hey guys just circling back I ended up selling the boat back to the dealer. They quoted a buy back price of 15k or consignment for 17k I took the 15k buy back. They subtract out repairs and I had 2500 in repairs- cosmetic and motor so I got 12.5k. They said the problem is a blown head gasket but idk seems like it’s more than that oh well it’s theirs now,,, thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

Great tread. Lots of info. I think I have the exact same problem. (post copied below).

My question is: Does any one have a spare ECU that I can borrow while I get mine sent out to get rebuilt (again)?

Hard to give up a couple of weeks of boating in Ohio (short season).

I can't seem to get full throttle from my Starboard engine on my '05 AR230HO. Only revs to 9k (Port will do 10.5k). It does however kick in and rev up to full throttle very intermittently.

I've already replaced the plugs, checked / removed the air filter, cleaned and checked each injector to the ohm spec, checked that I'm getting full throttle.

My next thought is to swap ECUs between engines (not fun).

History: I had the starboard ECU rebuilt in the fall of '17 for keeping a valve open and no problems for 2 summers. Also the Starboard NoWake intermittently does not work but probably not related.

Any help would be very appreciated.

I have a spare Ecu I could rent out for a bit until you get yours back.... Pm me if you’re interested

Back