• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple issues at last outing

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys,

Was out with the family yesterday. All was good until we saw a rider on a jet boat waiving at us. I approach them to find out their jet ski turns on, but is not rideable.
I had to tow the jet ski back.

The obvious thing happened!! Sucked in the tow rope. Returned back to the dock with one engine. The advantage of twin engines :)

Backed up my trailer in the water and I see the bunk board started floating the water. It came out completely from the trailer mounts. Dived in the water to retrieve it. 2 screws were lost in the process. Ended up using one bolt on each bracket and moved the board up a little as old holes were stripped out.

Finally put the boat on the trailer and to my surprise, the drain hole has been pulled out open and screws stripped.
I use a longer fitting that is a T on the end which makes it easy to plug with hand without the need of a tool.

My best guess is when the tow rope got sucked in, it probably grabbed the plug and pulled it out. Can't imagine how else that would happen.

I need help repairing the drain. Should I just use 3m 5200 to fill the old holes and just drill new once and rotate the fitting?
As for the boards just replace them with these or are there upgrades/better once out there.
C.E. Smith Boat Trailer Carpeted Bunk Boards : Cabela's

Attachments

• 20190708_091500.jpg
    20190708_091500.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190708_091524.jpg
    20190708_091524.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190708_092116.jpg
    20190708_092116.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • drain plug.jpg
    drain plug.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
HOLY CRAP Man!!!! You had a damn day on the water, that's for sure. WOW!!!! 5200 would certainly fill the holes and you could rotate and install the drain however I might be more inclined to glass them, redrill and install.

HOLY CRAP Man!!!! You had a damn day on the water, that's for sure. WOW!!!! 5200 would certainly fill the holes and you could rotate and install the drain however I might be more inclined to glass them, redrill and install.

What do you mean by glass them?

I am surprised I didn't take in water with the drain plug basically fully open. Is it because I had all the plugs closed in the engine compartment and ski locker?

Your bilge was prob on pumping all the water out. He means fiberglass the repair.

Just goes to show.....No good deed goes unpunished :)

OH Sorry, Fiberglass them. Sand it down, mix and apply the fiberglass, let it cure, drill and install the drain.
Im shocked you didnt take on a ton of water as well but depends on how far out you were and how long it took you to get back. Did you notice your bilge pump kicking on more frequently or at all? Generally the back of the boat would fill up first (submerging your engines) prior to the rest of the boat filing up as well. Im sure having those plugs in helped but man did you ever dodge a bullet there.

OH Sorry, Fiberglass them. Sand it down, mix and apply the fiberglass, let it cure, drill and install the drain.
Im shocked you didnt take on a ton of water as well but depends on how far out you were and how long it took you to get back. Did you notice your bilge pump kicking on more frequently or at all? Generally the back of the boat would fill up first (submerging your engines) prior to the rest of the boat filing up as well. Im sure having those plugs in helped but man did you ever dodge a bullet there.

Got it, thank you.
Engine bay was spotless dry. It took me maybe 15 minutes to get to the dock, plus all the time it took to fix the trailer board before putting the boat on it. Maybe 30-40minutes.
I don't know to be honest. I am still new. I would assume it would take water in like crazy, but it didn't.

Well hey, just thankful you made it back without turning into a submarine! Good looking out for the stranded "vessel" out there and @captras is spot on!!! No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!!!!!

You are very lucky or must have an awesome bilge pump,
I left my drain plug out once and by the time we unloaded, docked the boat, parked the truck, the bilge was already pumping and I had water in the engine bay,

I pulled somebody off a sand bar once, what happened? I turned around and got myself stuck on the same sand bar,

Since your messing around back there you may think about replacing your scupper valve,

You are very lucky or must have an awesome bilge pump,
I left my drain plug out once and by the time we unloaded, docked the boat, parked the truck, the bilge was already pumping and I had water in the engine bay,

I pulled somebody off a sand bar once, what happened? I turned around and got myself stuck on the same sand bar,

Since your messing around back there you may think about replacing your scupper valve,

The plug was still on it. Maybe it wasn't taking much water in from the side opening.
My best guess is the tow rope did it. In reality I don't know 100% what caused it to break up like that.
Maybe it happened when I was docking. Who knows at this point. Either way my guess was it would take water in fast.

Removing the rope wasn't as hard as I imagined :) Took me maybe 20 minutes to just jut it into pieces and remove it.

Not sure I would do gelcoat to fix those holes. I like your 5200 idea better. It will still be covered by the fitting, so you will never see it. And the 5200 will be permanent and keep water out. For something that small that will not be seen, I would probably not mess with gelcoat. IMHO.

Good on you, though, for stopping to help. Too many people would be too busy... Don't worry about those temporary inconveniences. What goes around still comes around.

the trailer bunk floating away is kind of funny. sorry.

this is one of those rare times i would advise to use epoxy (rather than vinyl or poly), only because it is covered up. countersink those old holes, roughen the countersinks with 80grit, fill countersinks with thick(ened) epoxy while placing a gloved finger on the backside of each hole, scrape smooth before it cures, let epoxy cure, rotate plug fitting 180*, mark, re-drill, mount with 3M Silicone (just like Yamaha does), cure silicone overnight. No need to use 4200/5200 on this.

Using the 4200/5200 to fill the damaged holes doesn't do anything for the FRP (fiberglass) that is definitely damaged under the gelcoat. if you countersink (get an actual countersink bit, not a std drill bit), you're removing a lot of the bad glass. plus, filling it with epoxy will help bind the damaged fibers back together stronger than the 5200 and reduce chances of future spider cracking of the gelcoat.

the trailer bunk floating away is kind of funny. sorry.

this is one of those rare times i would advise to use epoxy (rather than vinyl or poly), only because it is covered up. countersink those old holes, roughen the countersinks with 80grit, fill countersinks with thick(ened) epoxy while placing a gloved finger on the backside of each hole, scrape smooth before it cures, let epoxy cure, rotate plug fitting 180*, mark, re-drill, mount with 3M Silicone (just like Yamaha does), cure silicone overnight. No need to use 4200/5200 on this.

Using the 4200/5200 to fill the damaged holes doesn't do anything for the FRP (fiberglass) that is definitely damaged under the gelcoat. if you countersink (get an actual countersink bit, not a std drill bit), you're removing a lot of the bad glass. plus, filling it with epoxy will help bind the damaged fibers back together stronger than the 5200 and reduce chances of future spider cracking of the gelcoat.

You should have seen my face when the bunk board started floating. For half a second I was like fck it, but then I am like no you got to jump in.

This 3m silicone?
3M Marine Grade Silicone Sealant (08027) - For Boats and RVs - White - 1/10 Gallon Cartridge: Automotive Adhesives And Sealants: Amazon.com: Gateway

For the bunks, just buy new bunk carpet and then go to home depot and buy new pressure treated boards and staple the carpet to them and reinstall.

I'd just 5200 the holes are redrill....way easier!

Is that huge t handled plug what you had in there? If so, I wouldn't use that again!

Why not?
This one attached.

Attachments

• 20190710_173838.jpg
    20190710_173838.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 21
Do you think the rope wrapped around that t-handle while it was being sucked into the intake? The small flat plug would not have done that damage.

Do you think the rope wrapped around that t-handle while it was being sucked into the intake? The small flat plug would not have done that damage.
That's my best guess. I didn't hit the bottom anywhere.
Maybe it hit the trailer when loading it back? I don't know. We would be guessing.

Back