• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Acoustiblok Install

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I decided to video my Acoustiblok install. I've put up the first 3 parts which explain the planning process, the cutting process, and the installation process.

Spoiler alert - If you are going to attempt this, just remove the engine hatch. My wife was out of town when I started this so I didn't have that option. I'm not young enough to try to remove the engine hatch on my own anymore. (You can also interpret that as not stupid enough :p )

Overall, the installation was a lot more of a pain in the ass than I expected. Drilling holes for the bolts, threads being barely long enough, hidden screws, dropping those washers and screws into the bilge, retrieving them multiple times, etc. I'm telling you, just remove the damn hatch if you are going to use acoustiblok. The adhesive is not a quick setting product, and while it doesn't run and sag, it also doesn't have a lot of initial tack.

Part 1: Planning

Part 2: Cutting

Part 3: Installing

Hopefully someone finds this amusing or helpful :)

To Do:
"Curtain" forward of the shower tank and the batteries
Line the plywood that faces the storage area forward of the curtain.
Fuel Hatch

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found all of the videos amusing and helpful. Thanks for taking and posting them. Now I'm remotivated to start my sound deadening project, maybe even video some of it.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for that. I'm planning a similar project. I'm using stinger roadkill which is similar to dynamat and I'm going to replace the factory foam with a 2" foil backed sound absorbing foam. I'm also doing the fuel hatch and ski locker hatch. Keep us posted on your results.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20140504_225112.jpgSo I used 3m super 90 to reinstall the egg crate. That stuff is awesome! Wasn't too windy so we did it on the boat. Had my wife helping me so it was a quick job.

Now I'm working on the fuel hatch down in the bar area... Looks like this might take a while ;-) (To clarify, the taking a while involves consuming beer and watching adhesive cure :p ) This was pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After watching the videos, this makes me realize that I can deal with some engine noise as this looks like a royal pain in the ass!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. Is there a reason you didn't use the 3M 90 in the first place?

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice write up. Is there a reason you didn't use the 3M 90 in the first place?
I'm not sure the 3M Super 90 would hold the Acoustiblok. It's pretty heavy. They claim you need this industrial adhesive to secure it or I think you can use 3M 5200. It would have been much easier with an adhesive that had higher initial tack to assist in clamping it and getting more of it to stick. Even with the fuel hatch removed and in the basement, I still had to find stuff to keep the material conforming to the hatch while it cured.

It might be that they want you to use this adhesive so there is a slight air barrier between the surface you are adhering to and the acoustiblok. Like I said before acoustiblock is NOT a mass loading material like DynaMat where the goal is complete adhesion to a surface. So maybe the flexible RTV adhesive decouples the acoustiblock and the surface to a large extent. Something the 3M super 90 wouldn't do.

Not sure yet, this could have been a big waste of time and money :p (AKA learning experience!)

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am very curious if this makes a noticeable diff in sound.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After taking the new toy on her maiden voyage. . . .I gotta say, it was a LOT quieter than I remember my 2001 Sea Ray 225 Weekender (w/5.o Merc I/O) being.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree devil dog...I think it's a diff sound...but if the sound blocking will work, I may look into it.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to hold off for at least this season on any major renovation mods. . . . Use her as she is and then decide what if any improvements are in the cards. Spent enough already between the new truck, new boat, fins, ez-locks, docks, accessories, etc. . . .

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I'm just doing it because I find the acoustiblok product fascinating
, http://www.acoustiblok.com/. I used product from http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ on my G8 when I did a stereo install in 09 and that car was so much better after the install, it is now a VERY quiet car. I'm not expecting miracles, and I don't think the boat is all that loud, it's more just a thing to try out. I'm a nerd and love technology :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I'm just doing it because I find the acoustiblok product fascinating
, http://www.acoustiblok.com/. I used product from http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ on my G8 when I did a stereo install in 09 and that car was so much better after the install, it is now a VERY quiet car. I'm not expecting miracles, and I don't think the boat is all that loud, it's more just a thing to try out. I'm a nerd and love technology :)
Did you take any baseline decibel readings before you started the install?

I was just going to take some after install readings with my smart phone than compare them to boat tests results but realize that won't be very accurate since boat test doesn't use a smart phone and I don't know where they are taking their readings from.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Of course not! Why do something scientifically!? :p

No I wished I could have but I don't have the time to do before/after readings. I barely have enough time to get out on the boat enough the way it is. So when I have time to mod the boat I mod it. When the weather co-operates its about done with modding time and time to boat!

Maybe we can get a subjective opinion from several people in Bimini :p

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Evil Sports I don't think he said insignificant results...just not objectively measurable results, which is why I suggested others with the same model can test theirs and we can have objective results. @steined - so what brand/model phone do you have?

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Evil Sports I don't think he said insignificant results...just not objectively measurable results, which is why I suggested others with the same model can test theirs and we can have objective results. @steined - so what brand/model phone do you have?
Galaxy Note 3 and my wife has an iPhone 5. So I could do it on both to increase the chances someone else has the same phone.