• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Navigation App?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are they any navigation apps you guys recommend for my iPad? I plan on getting a waterproof case and a suction cup mount to wedge the iPad infront of windshield and above the dash.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Navonics provides some good navigation and mapping. The glare/display limitations of my iPhone in direct sunlight, require me to use my Garmin most of the time.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Ah I can see that being an issue. I will have to see how the iPad does, I think they sell screen protectors to reduce glare.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have used the Navionics app on my iPhone. I wasn't impressed overall. I found it non-intuitive and lacking simple features that I would expect (perhaps I was not using it properly). The map detail is very good, but the navigation I found frustrating. Also: for some reason it won't keep my phone "awake", so after a few minutes the screen shuts off which defeats the point.

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a fan of MXMariner. It works well for me when needed.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Navionics is what I always use on iphone.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What I don't like about Navionics is that it tries to setup the navigation route for you. Sure that is cool, but what I'd like is a simple "line of sight" marker to the destination. Sometimes I decide to take a more scenic route, etc, and I'd just like to see my distance to the destination, the bearing to the destination (with a moving bearing line), and an ETA given the current heading and speed.

My super old Garmin used to have a "VMG" display ("velocity made good") which showed the velocity vector to the destination. Does the Navionics app have something similar?

I also find it difficult to zoom/navigate the app when under way on the water. The hard buttons/cursor on my Lowrance are way easier to use (although it's map is very weak and outdated).

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Navionics lets you set a manual route. It actually asks automatic or manual first.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Navionics lets you set a manual route. It actually asks automatic or manual first.
Yeah, I know that, but I don't want ANY route....just a "straight line" to the destination that will always follow the boat. I feel like it is trying to be smarter than it should.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, I know that, but I don't want ANY route....just a "straight line" to the destination that will always follow the boat. I feel like it is trying to be smarter than it should.
Perhaps those that are more versed in navigation than I am will weigh in, but I wondered about this intially, then realized that forcing the original route is likely a much better way to do this than constantly adjusting the route based on where the boat is. In a laughable scenario....you could actually end up circling the target and taking forever to get there. By fixing the optimal route, you are forced to compensate for current/wind etc and stay on the best possible course vs allowing you to drift off course.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Navionics on my iPhone and have been happy with it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@adrianp89 please do a bit more research before you take that route. I used an ipad paired to inreach explorer with a SeaSucker and here are the issues that I encountered.
  1. We run into a storm a few miles east of port everglades and the ipad was dead. It did not work until we arrived in Bimini.
  2. In order to use it as navigation tool, it will have to stay on the whole time. Which means it will get hot. Even if it does not shut down, it will drain the battery very quickly
  3. When an ipad is hot it will not charge. So you basically are draining a battery quickly and you cannot charge it even if you have a dedicated USB port for it.
    1. note that all the above were tested under shade without direct sun exposure. If you mount on the windshiled, you will have to compand the heat from the sun.
Personally, I will not feel comfortable to have such a set up as back up, let alone be my primary navigation. That being said there are plenty of people who do it and are very happy with.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@adrianp89 please do a bit more research before you take that route. I used an ipad paired to inreach explorer with a SeaSucker and here are the issues that I encountered.
  1. We run into a storm a few miles east of port everglades and the ipad was dead. It did not work until we arrived in Bimini.
  2. In order to use it as navigation tool, it will have to stay on the whole time. Which means it will get hot. Even if it does not shut down, it will drain the battery very quickly
  3. When an ipad is hot it will not charge. So you basically are draining a battery quickly and you cannot charge it even if you have a dedicated USB port for it.
    1. note that all the above were tested under shade without direct sun exposure. If you mount on the windshiled, you will have to compand the heat from the sun.
Personally, I will not feel comfortable to have such a set up as back up, let alone be my primary navigation. That being said there are plenty of people who do it and are very happy with.
Huh...another reason I'm happy with my Samsung Note 5! LOL I used mine continually for hours during my bimini rescue. No heat, no power problem, no cutting out....I have a Galaxy tablet that I might get a waterproof case for next time!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Raymarine 5M - the thing is awesome/ a brute. Inexpensive, chartplotter only, I think it runs Navionics +, does the strait line/beam very well.
It is PITA to program etc., but could not be beat for simple navigation IMO. Incredibly robust, full sun, sunglasses, night, rain, storm, anything - this thing just works. You pay for the screen that is designed as a open air marine chartplotter.

I have played with Nav on my iPhone, its great. I would never use it as a primary nav tool in the boat. Learned that many times. Just when you least need to be dick-ing around with a charger or a holder... a dedicated plotter is right there.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the info - I will check it out.

And thank you everyone for the feedback. I should state I am not planning to use this as true navigation. We will probably almost always be in the intercostal waterways. I am really looking to have a second set of eyes on channel markers at night. Our first two nights out on the water and we have noticed some of the markers are not very reflective at all. Having some sort of guide as a secondary precaution is really what I am looking for.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Raymarine 5M - the thing is awesome/ a brute. Inexpensive, chartplotter only, I think it runs Navionics +, does the strait line/beam very well.
It is PITA to program etc., but could not be beat for simple navigation IMO. Incredibly robust, full sun, sunglasses, night, rain, storm, anything - this thing just works. You pay for the screen that is designed as a open air marine chartplotter.

I have played with Nav on my iPhone, its great. I would never use it as a primary nav tool in the boat. Learned that many times. Just when you least need to be dick-ing around with a charger or a holder... a dedicated plotter is right there.

--
Thanks for this hint. It looks like it comes in a Downvision Sonar version also (5DVS), as well as a "Pro" version. I think you can get it with Navionics as well as C-MAP software. I have an Elite-4, but the maps on it suck and I'm not particularly happy with Lowrance support/etc.

I'd love to see the difference between the Navionics and C-MAP versions.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if your looking for a good app, ISailor works pretty well, I used it as my only NAV until purchasing a Garmin. Now I use it as a backup. Not bad for 15 bucks charge for the maps...

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
AACC928C-AF47-4B69-8D15-B9B499DA6BE7.png
I like the iPad app - it is cool during takeoff too. I boat in the same places every time and I know the waters. but it is handy if I’m going down a creek or something that I don’t know the depth of. My last load had the full depth finder set up with the fish pictures and all but I never use that feature.