• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice on possible mistake I made

Bluerulz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
So I purchased a 2021 Yamaha jet boat…. And I’ve been doing reading and research on issues others have had and so on… came across a thread talking about non ethanol fuel vs ethanol fuel. Basically didn’t know that having ethanol fuel sit in the boat for the winter can potentional be an issue (I live in Michigan)… question I have is I’m quite positive the fuel in my boat is ethanol fuel and it’ll be sitting for a few months. Should I remove the fuel this spring before firing the engines or will it be ok to run and let it burn through? Thank you for the responses….

Diamondwatercraft

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am also in Michigan. I like to leave the tank almost empty and stabil before I store it away. (ethanol fuel) In the spring I usually put fresh gas in (ethanol fuel) and forget about it. As long as you treated the gas with stabil your OK. I have done this for over 30 years and never had an issue with either my jet boat or my PWC's. Others I'm sure have had other experiences but for me, it has worked.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lived in northern Illinois for years and had ethanol in my boat all the time, even in the winters and is all I used was a fuel stabilizer, and never had any issues.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For one winter I would not worry to much about your tank of unstabilized fuel in you boat. It should start and run fine in the spring. Top it off and go for a Long boat ride amd empty it down to a quarter tank. Then refill it. You will be OK.
I live in the chicago, IL area. We don’t have non-ethanol fuel available. It is very hard to find, almost impossible.
My boat is 2010 AR240. I always store with full tank of gas ( I was taught empty tanks have more surface area for condensation to form and then add water to your empty tank) or to add rust to a motorcycle gas tank.
I don't like ethanol but don't have a choice. I add marine stabil 360 to my boat all year long to protect the fuel. Before winter I add a little extra for a stronger mixture. My boat has always started and ran great.
Also.
Every time I fill a 5 gallon gas can I add stabil 360 marine. Our lawnmowers, snowthrowes, motorcycles, and anything gas operated has a tiny float on the carburator. This small about of fuel evaperates quicker than large tanks. I feel it is cheap protection and my things start better, and I have less problems carburetor and fuel related.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I purchased a 2021 Yamaha jet boat…. And I’ve been doing reading and research on issues others have had and so on… came across a thread talking about non ethanol fuel vs ethanol fuel. Basically didn’t know that having ethanol fuel sit in the boat for the winter can potentional be an issue (I live in Michigan)… question I have is I’m quite positive the fuel in my boat is ethanol fuel and it’ll be sitting for a few months. Should I remove the fuel this spring before firing the engines or will it be ok to run and let it burn through? Thank you for the responses….
How much fuel did you have in the tank when you stopped using it?

Do you have access to the boat?

If less than a full tank, guesstimate how much fuel in gallons is in the tank. Then if you have access to the boat you can get some VP 5 gallon cans and put enough fuel stabilizer, Star Tron Marine, Stabil Marine, Techron Marine in the cans for the total amount of fuel, fill them with gas and add them to the tank. While not ideal, this should stabilize the fuel that was in the tank. Be sure and spread the amount of stabilizer for all the fuel between the cans as opposed to putting it all in one can, this will help it mix well with the existing gas.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If less than a full tank, guesstimate how much fuel in gallons is in the tank. Then if you have access to the boat you can get some VP 5 gallon cans and put enough fuel stabilizer, Star Tron Marine, Stabil Marine, Techron Marine in the cans for the total amount of fuel, fill them with gas and add them to the tank. While not ideal, this should stabilize the fuel that was in the tank. Be sure and spread the amount of stabilizer for all the fuel between the cans as opposed to putting it all in one can, this will help it mix well with the existing gas.
@Bluerulz I would do something like the above if you can - it won't be perfect but it'll stabilize what you have. You won't have stabilizer in the fuel pump and injection line, but since it's a sealed system unlike a carb it should be ok. As soon as you can get it in the water, idle it in the water at the ramps for a few minutes to let the stabilized fuel circulate and you'll be fine.

As for ethanol fuel, that's all we have here in regular 87 as well and it's never been a problem, even with my old boats and bikes that had carbs.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As long as you run a stabilizer religiously

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As long as you run a stabilizer religiously
Do you mean each fill? If so it's not needed. I only add stabilizer for winter storage as the rest of the time the fuel is used well within it's range of deterioration. Fresh fuel is good for months on its own...stabilizer is only needed for storage.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you mean each fill? If so it's not needed. I only add stabilizer for winter storage as the rest of the time the fuel is used well within it's range of deterioration. Fresh fuel is good for months on its own...stabilizer is only needed for storage.
Yes I mean for each fill.

When I did not have access to non ethanol fuel and used my dirt bikes on the weekends, kinda like how most folks use their boats, they would sit for a week or three at a time, after losing the pressure regulator on my one bike, and more importantly a day of riding with my friend Jeff due to ethanol I ran Star Tron all the time…very cheap insurance. The problem with ethanol laced fuel is you just don’t know how much water it’s already holding, using this fuel in a marine environment gives the ethanol ample opportunity to become saturated with water even if it was dry to begin with as the air drawn in through the tank vent as the fuel burns is coming from a couple feet above the water.

Now I run this product with each fill up of fuel.

I run this at least once if not twice a season.

I start running this at the very end of the season when falls snow and low temps could put an end to the season at any time.

Could it be overkill? Maybe, but overkill is underrated..

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be fine, but you can't know what the previous owner did. As others have said, try to get some in the tank, along with more fuel to help mix with what you've already got in there. If you don't have access, or can't do this anytime soon, it's not the end of the world.

I prefer SeaFoam, since it's easy for me to get in gallon sizes locally, but I prefer the StarTron additive if I can get it. Amazon is the only place I've been able to find StarTron in gallon size, and price has wildly fluctuated for me, so I gave up and went with the SeaFoam. I used to use Stabil, but had some issues with a mower, and decided when it was all used up, I would go with SeaFoam/StarTron. The SeaFoam is also a nice addition to the crankcase prior to an oil change, and I've never had any issues with it. If you go with Stabil, I've heard the marine version is better for a 2-smoke, but not necessary for anything larger. Whatever you're comfortable using, put it in your tank.

If you can't get anything in there until spring, try to find yourself some Techron and run that through. Costco seems to have the best price on that stuff in my area, but it's still spendier than everything except the StarTron (in the small bottles they sell around here).