• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help! Engine cranks for two seconds then stops....

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2013 Yamaha AR190

Need help, went to take the boat out today for the first day of the season, and I could not get it to start. It cranks briefly (See video here, youtube) and then just stops on its own. Then when I release the key you can see that the engine rocks back into normal position.

On the screen it says battery low voltage, so I charged the battery to 100% and no luck. Then went and bought a new battery thinking my old battery (going on 5 years) could be bad. Hooked the new battery up, and tried to start the engine, same result.

I had my wife try to start it while I looked at the engine shaft, and I can see the shaft spins slightly when the engine cranks, and then 2 seconds later the engine stops cranking on its own.

Anyone know what this could be. My first guess was bad battery, but that wasnt it. Now I am thinking something may be ceased up... Praying that is not the issue...

***UPDATE*** I was able to get the boat started, after fully charging the brand new battery, and spraying WD-40 all over the impeller and housing. After doing some digging on this forum and other forums, I was lead to believe I have a swollen impeller housing. So I am going to replace it. I'll update the thread as I go. Thanks to all for their help and input!

Last edited:
Cable connections at starter could be dirty. Tap them lightly, then try starting. Also where red cables attach to relay at ECM.

Possibly a bad solenoid? (ECM area as well) Let us know what you find out if/when you get it started.

Do the steps from Julian's FAQ reference first. It very well could be that you have a clearance issue on the back deck switch. When the motor starts rocking, it jiggles it just enough to break the connection. The other suggestions are good ones to check, but start with those FAQ ones.

Cable connections at starter could be dirty. Tap them lightly, then try starting. Also where red cables attach to relay at ECM.

Where is the starter located?

Portside stern. If you can reach with a wrench, loosen and tighten (not much) 10mm-12mm.
1623354483196.png

Attachments

• 1623354483045.png
    1623354483045.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
Is the kill safety switch connected?

Kill safety switch lanyard connected, boat in neutral, and clean out port stern latch was closed. I will check the stern latch sensor to make sure it's making good contact, and try again.

So after a bit of digging around the internet today, I found a thread about impeller housing swelling. And I am convinced that this is what my issue is. So when I got home from work, I sprayed my entire housing and impeller with wd-40 to lubricate the housing and then try and start the boat. I crossed my fingers, but still no luck.... HOWEVER, the engine cranked longer than the two seconds its previously been doing before stopping itself, it was so close to starting, so I am convinced that there is a lot of friction going on in there that the boat is thinking it is jammed so it is killing the engine start process...

Would this theory be possible?

Possible, but I don't think probable.

However, simple to test. Pull the pump (see the FAQ) and try to start it.

I definitely had some contact points with the impeller and housing last season, I could hear it when I flushed the boat out of the water. But in the water I never had any issues.

Never would have thought the housing could swell enough to actually bind the impeller though. But I guess that's definitely possible. But why would the housing swell over the off season/winter? I never had any issues last year

Have you checked your spark plugs? When was the last time they were changed? I’d start there if I had starting issues.

Have you checked your spark plugs? When was the last time they were changed? I’d start there if I had starting issues.

Spark plugs were last changed November 2018 when I winterized the ski. So they are going on their 3rd season. I ordered new spark plugs though, theyll be here Saturday. Going to install them then.

@kennetht Maybe dinged impeller. There is only a few thousandths clearance. Your general location could help in case salt water is playing into the problem. Found this on the internet: Aluminum Corrosion I think the impeller housings are aluminum. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC knows.

2013 Yamaha AR190

Need help, went to take the boat out today for the first day of the season, and I could not get it to start. It cranks briefly (See video here, youtube) and then just stops on its own. Then when I release the key you can see that the engine rocks back into normal position.

On the screen it says battery low voltage, so I charged the battery to 100% and no luck. Then went and bought a new battery thinking my old battery (going on 5 years) could be bad. Hooked the new battery up, and tried to start the engine, same result.

I had my wife try to start it while I looked at the engine shaft, and I can see the shaft spins slightly when the engine cranks, and then 2 seconds later the engine stops cranking on its own.

Anyone know what this could be. My first guess was bad battery, but that wasnt it. Now I am thinking something may be ceased up... Praying that is not the issue...

Check your new battery - just because it's new doesn't mean it's charged. I wouldn't worry about it being seized if it's turning over. Possibly starter related, either the starter itself or the solenoid. I would check for loose wiring, both on the motor by the starter, at your battery, and behind the key panel.

So after a bit of digging around the internet today, I found a thread about impeller housing swelling. And I am convinced that this is what my issue is. So when I got home from work, I sprayed my entire housing and impeller with wd-40 to lubricate the housing and then try and start the boat. I crossed my fingers, but still no luck.... HOWEVER, the engine cranked longer than the two seconds its previously been doing before stopping itself, it was so close to starting, so I am convinced that there is a lot of friction going on in there that the boat is thinking it is jammed so it is killing the engine start process...

Would this theory be possible?

So your impeller/shaft/motor pushes a good amount of TQ on that wear ring, even at idle. I would have a hard time believing that your impeller binding is causing a starting issue. However, I've been known to be wrong before.

Back