• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you in a 192 or 190? If you were underway battery power wouldn't matter...
I hate to think timing chain, but did you get the boat out of the water and have the engine rev prior to it going out?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like clean out hatch kill switch. Also check your battery connections. Throttle in neutral firmly?

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My engine fuse block is located under a round, screw on cap on the front of the engine compartment. One column of fuses are active, the others are spares. There also should be a removal tool under the cap.
Thanks ,found the fuses, I did find one out of the panel..will go through all fuses tomorrow .

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you in a 192 or 190? If you were underway battery power wouldn't matter...
I hate to think timing chain, but did you get the boat out of the water and have the engine rev prior to it going out?
It's a 190, what do you mean rev prior to going out ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the kill switch does go bad?
Those switches are known to go out of adjustment rather than fail. As mentioned, have someone open the hatch and press the switch all the way down while you turn the key. If your motor starts, your switch or hatch is out of adjustment.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a 190, what do you mean rev prior to going out ?
So I've read at least 1 instance of a yamaha 192 supercharged 1.8 engine under power in chop, the boat came up out of the water and revved with no load on the pump and then went dead. It was a timing chain. (My personal worst fear). Made me think of it reading your post. Hope you got home OK and can get things figured out.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the HELP feature activated on this thread without the "@" before it? I never got a notification, only saw it while surfing the forum.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was the HELP feature activated on this thread without the "@" before it? I never got a notification, only saw it while surfing the forum.
HELP feature was not activated. Just happened to catch the Thread.

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HELP feature was not activated. Just happened to catch the Thread.
I don't know how to use HELP feature . Thank you everyone for all the suggestions , haven't gone through all of them yet! Will keep everyone updated .

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The help feature is for member to use when on the water and have a problem (just like your situation). What you do is use the @ and then the word help, the same way you would @Robert_o , but instead of putting a name in, put the word "help" after the @. What happens is a notification goes out to all the people who have signed up to help stranded boaters. Our response time averaged 4 minutes last time I checked it. :)

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The help feature is for member to use when on the water and have a problem (just like your situation). What you do is use the @ and then the word help, the same way you would @Robert_o , but instead of putting a name in, put the word "help" after the @. What happens is a notification goes out to all the people who have signed up to help stranded boaters. Our response time averaged 4 minutes last time I checked it. :)
Thank you for explaining! I sure needed all the could get yesterday.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the engine turns over, it can't be clean out hatch related (why? Because the kill switches there prevent the starter from engaging.....so that if you have your hand in the impeller, someone can't try starting the boat).

Timing chain is sounding quite plausible.....or the lanyard switch...but your boat is pretty new.....

Any way for him to determine if it is the timing chain????

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A simple ghetto way to check for a broken timing chain/stuck valve etc would be:

1. Remove spark plugs
2. Gently insert a paper towel into each spark plug socket
3. Remove lanyard (to prevent ignition damage)
4. Turn the ignition key
5. If there's compression, the paper towels should gently pop out.
6. If they all don't, you more than likely have low to no compression in that cylinder

If your boat was running fine and all of a sudden stopped and then has no compression in several/all cylinders it's more than likely because the cams aren't turning and timing chain is broken.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's something simple.

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A simple ghetto way to check for a broken timing chain/stuck valve etc would be:

1. Remove spark plugs
4. Turn the ignition key
6. If they all don't, you more than likely have low to no compression in that cylinder

If your boat was running fine and all of a sudden stopped and then has no compression in several/all cylinders it's more than likely because the cams aren't turning and timing chain is broken.

Will try that! Thanks

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update, pulled all fuses and all OK, pulled wires that that go to plugs then i tried to re start , engine cranked then water sputtered from from boat, but it didnt start. I had tried before to start it it no water spewed out...i have new plugs coming my way and i will also do the compression test, still hoping for electrical . thank you again everyone for your support and suggestions.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please help me understand what you are saying. Where did the water come from specifically?

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please help me understand what you are saying. Where did the water come from specifically?
Water came out of intake on bottom of boat. I normally blow the engine out when I pull out of water , but because I was towed in and had no power I couldn't , wondering if water stuck?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is perfectly normal for water to exit the exhaust as the waterbox (muffler) will always have a small amount of water in it even after blowing it out after retrieving.

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

1. Remove spark plugs
4. Turn the ignition key

If timing chain is broken, would the shaft that turns the impeller turn? When I held the hatch switch down and had someone turn the key I could see the shaft turning !