• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need some advice on Flushing out Jet boat and a mistake made

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys made a pretty big mental mistake today when flushing out the engines for the first time.

I started the engine like your supposed to before turning the water on and let it run for 5 seconds then turned the water on. Probably 2-3 minutes passed before I realized I had turned on the right engine but connected water to the left side attachment in the boat for the left side engine. DOH!

I went about my business turned it off quickly once I realized that and went about the whole cleaning process and went and and finished and fully detailed the boat.

Here's my question, what could I have done to the engine and what could possibly be wrong. Should I be really worried for the next time I take the boat out? Anything I should check and be worried about? I know that was a big no no and a big mistake to make just not sure how to check how big of a mistake it was.

Also on a side note do you guys open the swim platform and and also the clean out ports and clean inside all of that with fresh water each time also?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did the overheat alarm go off? did you look for damage to the exhaust hoses from running with no water? and did it run ok after you hooked up the hose?
As for the other engine if it started after you had the hose hooked to it with it off then you probably caught it just in time, but look at your oil and see if it looks ok just to be safe.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the engine was only ticking over and you didn't get a temp warning, I'd say your ok and no long term damaged has been done. You mentioned you went about the whole cleaning process afterwards, did the engine start and run ok afterwards?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There was an alarm going off but pretty sure it turned itself off once I connected water to the right side. There was so much noise at the Boatel the alarm was actually hard to hear. The clean my it process went fine and the engines both started up as they are supposed to. Didn't check any hoses.

You should rinse each side for 3-5 minutes correct? Then turn off water, rev up engine to blow out water then turn that engine off, correct?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wouldn't the bigger issue be that the OP was pushing water into an engine that was not running? May need to check the oil to see if water made it up into the engine.

Edit: Oops, I see that Jeff already pointed that out!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@NewBoater So you ran water into the non-operating engine for 2-3 minutes, realized what had happened, turned water off, finished cleaning and then tried to run that engine afterwards? Hoping that was not the case but if it was you may have dodged a huge bullet my friend. Water could have backed up the exhaust and into the cylinder and gone KA POW! If you ever think you've done something like that you always want to check the oil to see if it is milky. Then you will need to perform a number of oil changes to get all the water out. Never try to start the engine if you think you have done something like that. You can pull the plugs and try starting the engine with the lanyard DISCONNECTED. This will cycle the engine and force some of the water out of the cylinders.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd be more concerned about the engine you ran with no cooling water for 2-3 minutes than the engine not running with the water on. You need to make sure nothing melted on that engine.

As for the one that you had water running on, if it started fine, and has no indication of water in the oil you are fine. I'm not sure a normal hose has enough water pressure to back the water up into the cylinders....but this isn't something we want to push our luck on.

I have considered testing this by disconnecting a hose at the engine to see if water comes anywhere near....but so low on the priority list...and then questions arise like..."would having the hoses disconnected change the pressures in the system etc"

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just called the marina and I asked if their service department could take a look at it this afternoon to see if any damage was done. Fingers crossed. Such a dumb mistake to make :/

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just make sure the oil is not milky on the shut of engine. Other than that no worries.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Make sure the oil is not milky on the one that had water coming to it but the engine off or the one that had no water coming and the engine running?

Heard a knocking noise I think when I went on and flushed it the second time but it was so noisy at the Boatel with the forklifts it's hard to even hear the alarm that was going off for overheat.

How would I know if serious damage is done? Should I go back tomorrow and have them put it on wash rack and I should flush it again and see what happens? Or go for a quick spin and listen for knocking while driving? Would I even hear it out on the water? Or just wait till next weekends outing and hope for the best?

Service manager didn't look but said I should be fine and these boats are ok and will be fine with the mistake I made.

I just don't want to get stuck out on the water with the family.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The engine you had water running to it with it powered off will cuase the water to get ingested. If it is milky you must change it ASAP.. about 5 times to get it cleared out..water in oil = bad.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The engine you had water running to it with it powered off will cuase the water to get ingested. If it is milky you must change it ASAP.. about 5 times to get it cleared out..water in oil = bad.
Thanks! I just modified my post above after your post. If you have different thoughts on any of this after reading it let me know.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just went up and checked it out and the engine oil looked normal to me on both engines.

Why on her boats do you start engine then the water after? Within 10-15 seconds they said is best. Just does not make sense to me. To me seems water should be turned on first always

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You have no idea how lucky you are that you did not fill the water box and have the water backup into the engine, go out and buy a lottery ticket seriously. On that note do not tow a jet boat faster than a few mph or you risk forcing water into the engines also. Nor should you drive with one engine off at any speed above no wake mode. Same reason.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just went up and checked it out and the engine oil looked normal to me on both engines.

Why on her boats do you start engine then the water after? Within 10-15 seconds they said is best. Just does not make sense to me. To me seems water should be turned on first always
The reason the engine is started before the water is turned on is that the exhaust gas keeps the cooling water from entering the engine's combustion chamber causing a hydrolocked condition which can destroy your engine. So, every night when you're in bed, rather than counting sheep sing the Yamaha mantra..."engine on water on. Water off engine off". Your wife may think you're nuts but you'll never hydrolock your engine while flushing it.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. And after disconnecting water before turning engine off you should rev that engine a few times semi high to blow out excess water, correct?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just blip it a couple times to maybe 4000 rpm. It does not take much.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can never get all the water out anyway.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Happy to report all was well today when my father in law and I went out for a spin. Checked the oil, hoses, ran boat at idle, high speeds later on, everything seemed very normal.

I got very lucky I think. Had a nice hour or so out on the boat. Flushed it out correctly today lol and both engines seem normal.

Thanks for all your help and quick replies!

Couple pics I took today...

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy to report all was well today when my father in law and I went out for a spin. Checked the oil, hoses, ran boat at idle, high speeds later on, everything seemed very normal.

I got very lucky I think. Had a nice hour or so out on the boat. Flushed it out correctly today lol and both engines seem normal.

Thanks for all your help and quick replies!

Couple pics I took today...
Now you have great opportunity with the money and time saved to invest in seadeck!