• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New ear rings for the boat

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops, I must have dropped the W. I meant Wear rings ;). I went the precious metal route and got the OEM stainless steel rings. The old rings did their job for almost 10 years but the port ring is loosing it's clearance so I'll replace both.

20160613_170524.jpg

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking forward to seeing what those EAR rings might look like and where you mounted them.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking forward to seeing what those EAR rings might look like and where you mounted them.
I guess ear rings would give new meaning to the term "boat bling"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oops, I must have dropped the W. I meant Wear rings ;). I went the precious metal route and got the OEM stainless steel rings. The old rings did their job for almost 10 years but the port ring is loosing it's clearance so I'll replace both.

View attachment 39178
Where did you get them? Happy with the price?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you look into inserts? I thought I read that they are available in plastic and stainless steel for less than $10o each.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How tight were your clearances?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you look into inserts? I thought I read that they are available in plastic and stainless steel for less than $10o each.
The plastic wouldn't last very long where I boat. The stainless lasted almost 10 years so thought that was pretty good service.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How tight were your clearances?
The port was actually hitting the wear ring. When I pulled the pumps a couple of weeks ago to check the bearings I could feel a little burr on the impeller edges on the port side. The starboard isn't rubbing yet but I'll replace it anyway. I'll check the gap before and after the surgery.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I got the oem wear rings from powersportsparts4less.com on a tip from @swatski. https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-do-you-think-about-my-port-impeller-and-pump-housing.9218/page-2 The price was $223.89 per side plus $40 shipping. On a suggestion from @swatski I spoke to Amy about refunding anything over actual shipping cost but haven't seen any adjustment. The cost of each ring beat my best price by about $20 per ring.
I bet you will see a small shipping refund, may take a week or so.
I think that is totally the way to go with your boat! These are (almost) indestructible structurally, but will suffer liner blisters/bumps over time that rub the impeller, no fix for that. Apparently more of an issue in salt, not surprisingly.

Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced both wear rings today. It's really only a couple hour job but I took most of the day taking side trips into the lower bilge to check and spray hose clamps, reseal hull protrusions and lubricate steering and shifter cables. Pic 1 shows the port wear ring. You can clearly see the spot the impeller was contacting the wear ring. In Pic 2 You can see the spot where there is no clearance between the wear ring and the impeller but the rest of the impeller had some clearance. In Pic 3 I placed a black dot on the impeller adjacent to the area the wear ring had swelled due to galvanic corrosion. Pic 4 shows the new wear ring installed. I got a good 0.35 mm spacing so I was happy. The starboard wear ring actually gauged at 0.36 mm but showed some early signs of corrosion. Whereas I bought two OEM stainless steel rings I changed them both and saved the starboard ring as a short term spare.

20160614_121511.jpg 20160614_112010.jpg 20160614_112154.jpg 20160614_121016.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gym great pics, textbook quality swelling spot, I have never seen one that nice. Thanks for sharing!