• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you think about my port impeller and pump housing?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I based my suggestion on my personal experience I used a plastic pump liner in a supercharged ski for 150 hours with no issues at all. When I sold the ski the liner was still in use. The big difference is that the liner is the weakest link and will take the hit if you blast something through the pump as opposed to the impeller being damaged, the liner is a lot easier to fix than the impeller is but everyone has their own opinion .
So with the plastic liner you get no swelling, no ringing in the pump, no wearing of the edges of the impeller and less chance of damaging the impeller.
With previous sea doo pumps that have the plastic liners " again based on my personal experience" I had serious issues with the longevity of those I actually will never buy another sea doo because of the issues I had with the pumps but that was due to the design of the pump bearing setup allowing the impellers to float and chew up the liners, since Yamaha does not use angle bearings in their pumps they are a better match for plastic liner use. This is just me sharing my personal experience and opinion.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I purchased mine right down the street from S B T.
I would say the one you listed looks pretty good also I think for the price you could give it a try and see. Let us know how it works since I have a feeling one or two other people may also be interested.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are Yamaha still using the same design pumps now, thinking is there an upgrade, improved part you could fit while you've got your pumps off.
Amazingly, there really is not anything new. And probably won't be in boat pump for a while.
Even the new 160mm pump for the SVHO ski is actually a throwback of sorts with the "new" 3-degree venturi nozzle - adapted back from boat pump.

Of all the aftermarket gizmos, L13 cone is the only thing really worth pursuing, IMHO, for anyone wanting the most thrust with hole shot. But it takes some work to dial it in, not exactly plug-and-play.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC, which plastic lined pump housing did you use?

I talked to this guy last year and have been thinking about trying his. http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/yamaha-waverunner-pwc-replacement-jet-pump-housing-p-1.html
@Bruce Just FYI - here are ones I use, no problems so far, I am on my second or third as I beat them up and they scratch, too cheap to think twice about replacing it. But judged by the shape of your impellers, you will likely never need to replace one;).
And one more thing - stick them in a freezer before you install (spares a lot of profanity in may case).
http://www.amazon.com/WSM-Wear-Ring-003-522/dp/B000GU5YS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After 10 years my port pump liner is swelling so I'm looking to replace both. I'd like to go stainless again as the plastic wont last long in the conditions I boat in. Has anybody removed & replaced the oem liner? I could use some tips. Also anybody have a good source for the oem?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 10 years my port pump liner is swelling so I'm looking to replace both. I'd like to go stainless again as the plastic wont last long in the conditions I boat in. Has anybody removed & replaced the oem liner? I could use some tips. Also anybody have a good source for the oem?
I have consistently found best prices for OEM parts there:
http://www.powersportsparts4less.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Boats&mfg=Yamaha

If you talk to Amy, she may give you a partial refund for shipping based on actual cost.
561-935-7656
Email: sales@powersportsparts4less.com

If you want to go full stainless ($$$), I would talk to Jerry Gaddis of Greenhulk and see if he can cut you a deal based on two engines. I'm sure he will do something. He is extremely responsive, and a great dude. He responds to this email address:
Store <pwcperformancestore@gmail.com>

EDIT: you can not replace the OEM liner. If you want a plastic liner, you will need a new/different aftermarket wear ring. I got one from Impros, but the one that @Bruce found is way less expensive, and should be just as good.

The OEM wear ring is part 3 (HOUSING, IMPELLER 66V-51312-01-94).

upload_2016-5-10_22-39-6.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gym