• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New member from Central Florida

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello!!

Just picked up a 2019 242x last week and already out for a few days on the water! Grew up in Central Florida and more specifically on the St. Johns river (Blue Springs, Hontoon Island, Silver Glen, Salt Springs). Have had I/O, Outboard(key west) and several jet skis over the years but just got back into boating. Family loves it and good times had by all.

We're looking for new places to explore (Fresh and Salt) in the area. Any ideas.. share! :)

I've learned a great deal on this forum over the past few weeks leading up to the delivery day last week, thanks for that! I have to say, so far it's been a great experience with the boat, outside of hating that I couldn't get a better deal than MSRP.. It was interesting trying to find dealers and "trying" to buy something. Seems in Florida the 242x's are a hot commodity. Purchased from BMC Boats in Longwood.

We tow the boat with our new Audi Q8 (don't laugh.. it does look funny size wise). Researched Q7's, same tow capacity (7700lbs) and wow, this little ride doesn't even strain pulling out of the water! That AWD must make the difference?

Anyways, Thanks for the support and info so far! @swatski & @Julian were extremely helpful and FAST with their responses to my questions.

Thanks,
mike

Pics Below:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
COngratulations! Beautiful boat!

And that tow vehicle... wow! It must be such an amazing ride.

--

Last edited:

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
While I don't doubt the ability to tow, my concern it weight ratio, vehicle to boat. And you sir, have the boat I originally wanted (color) but the wife put the kibosh on that. Anyway...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I don't doubt the ability to tow, my concern it weight ratio, vehicle to boat.
This is a valid point, and yes those Audis have been losing weight over the years, my old (2012?) Q7 was about 6,000lbs curb weight, the new ones are a 1,000lbs lighter. Still - they tow like pushback tugs, it's unreal. Stability of these vehicles at highway speeds or under hard breaking is amazing, far exceeds what you can expect from any 1/2 ton pickups.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please don’t get Swatski about the Audi and it’s ability to tow. It will be a very long tread and the poor new guy will end up changing the oils every other week.
Damn you, my Greek friend, I was just starting to respond!

--

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Damn you, my Greek friend, I was just starting to respond!

--
Whoa, hold on just one minute @swatski, are you telling me to get my wife an Audi Q8? I have a kitchen to remodel first, and by that time the new Tundras should be out, and then the kids will be in college and then possibly a lake house, and then maybe a new boat and after all of that, then she gets a new car. Or, I should just go to the dealer tomorrow.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! Looks like your neighbor may have talked you into a Yamaha... Although you one-upped him with the 242X. LOL! Congratulations!

I don't know anything about where to suggest you boat in Florida. The closest I've ever been to that scenario was the Jungle Cruise at Disney World... Just watch for gators!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Please don’t get Swatski about the Audi and it’s ability to tow. It will be a very long tread and the poor new guy will end up changing the oils every other week.
LOL! I read that whole thread before I bought.. and still bought.. I see both sides and it was hard not to go get an F150 or F250 but I HATE driving trucks to work in traffic in orlando, period. and I need to swap with wife.. She loves the Q8 and that equals 242x ;)

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Mjolsen74, me and my buddies are from Central Florida it's for boats that go out all the time and saltwater sometimes lakes my buddy the Navigator knows all the great spots on here we're going to the Florida Keys tonight until Monday but hit me up and let me know when you're interested of going out and I can give you the coordinates and the boat ramp locations is a lot of beautiful areas out here to explore again enjoy your beautiful bolt hopefully we'll catch up soon.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL! I read that whole thread before I bought.. and still bought.. I see both sides and it was hard not to go get an F150 or F250 but I HATE driving trucks to work in traffic in orlando, period. and I need to swap with wife.. She loves the Q8 and that equals 242x ;)
I understand clearly why you chose the Audi over the Ford, no brainer. The traffic back in the 80's was bad enough when I was driving a VW GTI in it. I can't imagine how much worse it is now. I lived there when University Blvd was 2 lanes and watched it grow to 6. I met my wife of nearly 28 years there. Very nice setup you have. Welcome to the forum.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Welcome and Congratulations. Beautiful boat! I just recently left Central Florida and moved to Charleston. Did a lot of boating on the Harris Chain and the occasional trip over to Ft DeSoto. Bought mine for BMC too. All was good with the purchase up until delivery day and then it all went to hell.
63337B6D-5359-4504-954B-2D32F5643486.jpeg