• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner questions on 2016 242 Limited S E-series

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I took delivery of my 2016 242 Limited S E-series on Friday. I'm very happy so far, except for a few puzzles I'm trying to solve:

• The owner's packet included an Airmar "retrofit kit" with a single, black O-ring and a page of instructions on how to install it. I think this is for the through-hull depth/temperature sensor. The instructions say the yellow O-ring on the sensor should be replaced with the new black O-ring provided for DT800V and DST800V sensors WITHOUT a valve. This is essential, the notice says, in order to prevent water leaking into the boat. I don't know if my depth/temp sensor has an integrated valve? I can't seem to find any "plug" (to plug the hole if the sensor is removed). Have any other 242 owners seen this?

• I can't seem to find a flush nozzle. The checklist says that one was included, but I don't see it anywhere. I'm wondering if it is normally stored somewhere on the boat and out of sight? Is it length of hose with fittings, or just a plastic fitting?

Other than these mysteries, everything else looks great!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on your purchase, they are amazing boats!

This is the first that I have heard of the o-ring replacement. I would ask the dealer to install it at their cost and also ask where they stored the flush adapter in the boat. It is just a plastic fitting.

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Dave congrats and welcome

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! Can't wait to see pics of her.

I agree with Bruce....I'd have the dealer do the o-Ring replacement! Based on the following PDF....looks like it will be buried in your bilge somewhere, and not something I'd want to attempt - SHOULDN'T have to attempt!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS OWNER'S GUIDE & - Airmar

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about other people but I got one of each for the fittings, one plastic fitting for the hose end and another about a foot long blue hose.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, everyone for your help. I will ask the dealer about the flush fitting.

Based on the Airmar installation guide posted by Julian and my retrofit instructions, I'm thinking there are two types of "sleeves" for the depth/temp transducer - one with and the other without an integrated valve.

If you have the sleeve with the integrated valve, you're supposed to use the yellow O-ring. This type of sleeve doesn't have a plug, since the valve automatically closes up the hole when the transducer is removed.
If you have the sleeve without a valve, the black O-ring is supposed to be used, and you would presumably have a plug to be used in case the transducer had to be removed while the boat was in the water.

I can't imagine Yamaha would install the wrong O-ring from the factory and make dealers/owners change it after the boat was built. But then again, it also wouldn't make sense that I would ever need the black O-ring....
I'll ask my dealer and post what I find out.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My flush fitting was in the lower storage locker, in front of the passenger seat.
Enjoy your new boat, any pictures yet?

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No pictures in the water yet, but here it is on the trailer just after I pulled off the shipping cover.
IMG_5916.JPG

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice David. What part of Atlanta are you located in? I am in Acworth. What dealer did you use?

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, Matt! I live in Virgina Highlands, but the boat is in dry stack at Port Royale Marina on Lake Lanier.
I bought it from Park Marine at the Atlanta Boat Show last month.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, Matt! I live in Virgina Highlands, but the boat is in dry stack at Port Royale Marina on Lake Lanier.
I bought it from Park Marine at the Atlanta Boat Show last month.
Nice, I was at the boat show also and checked out the Park Marine display. I boat on Allatoona since I live about 10 minutes from the lake. Enjoy the new boat this summer!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome. I have boated on Allatoona and now I am on Hartwell. Boat her from Park Marine in Kennesaw. Great dealer!

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, everyone for your help. I will ask the dealer about the flush fitting.

Based on the Airmar installation guide posted by Julian and my retrofit instructions, I'm thinking there are two types of "sleeves" for the depth/temp transducer - one with and the other without an integrated valve.

If you have the sleeve with the integrated valve, you're supposed to use the yellow O-ring. This type of sleeve doesn't have a plug, since the valve automatically closes up the hole when the transducer is removed.
If you have the sleeve without a valve, the black O-ring is supposed to be used, and you would presumably have a plug to be used in case the transducer had to be removed while the boat was in the water.

I can't imagine Yamaha would install the wrong O-ring from the factory and make dealers/owners change it after the boat was built. But then again, it also wouldn't make sense that I would ever need the black O-ring....
I'll ask my dealer and post what I find out.
Service Manager advises the black O-ring included with the new owner kit is simply a spare. This is good news - nothing has to be torn apart fresh from the factory :)

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats nice boat I love the Bimini top on the e-series

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I found my black flush nozzle adapter today - it was in the glove box. I didn't see it on delivery day - guess I was too excited to notice it :)
It is just a small black fitting instead of the short length of hose with fittings on each end that I've seen before.

Has anyone had any problem using the black fitting on a 242? It looks like there isn't much clearance between the seat cushions and the flush ports.
Is the short hose section any easier to use?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard several people comment on the clearance for the flush ports. I don't think anyone is very happy about that...

But good that you found the adapter. I am still waiting to lose mine by misplacing it somewhere... I'm sure I will someday.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats with the new boat. I have the same on the way. What was your initial thought of the maple read and black hull?

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, @stever40, and congratulations on yours, too!

I was pretty sure I'd like the maple red/black color based on what I saw online. When I saw it for the first time in person (at the Atlanta boat show), I knew right away that it was exactly what I wanted. In person, the maple red is just a little deeper/darker than the typical "fire engine red" that is so popular in sports cars. It wasn't really obvious to me when looking at pictures online, but I noticed it right away in person. It looks very sporty, but to my eye, toning down the brightness of the red a little also makes it look a bit more sophisticated -- it reminds me of BMW's "Imola Red" which I always liked.

A few other boat owners at my marina have already commented that it is a "Georgia" boat - meaning University of Georgia - I didn't even think of this before I bought it (I grew up and went to school in Michigan). This red/black scheme for the 242 Limited S E-series is a lot bolder than other (black) scheme and it does get attention. I think you'll love it!

Last edited: