• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on your new boat. Hopefully it will be done soon and the delay will be just a forgotten memory. Make sure to post pics when you get hold of it.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Supposed to take delivery this week, so we will see how that goes. I am hoping for Friday, as I have plans Saturday.

Here she sits now. Apparently part of the delay was waiting for the guys from Rec Holdings to come down from Cadillac and take a look at it. The story that I am receiving is that there was some stress cracking of the gel coat at the windshield mounts. Apparently the wrong sized holes were drilled on the assembly line...

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice looking boat! Welcome aboard!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great! Welcome aboard. I can't wait to hear the full report of how she does in the water!

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I wonder how well this would match the "Sunburst Orange" gelcoat...

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I got word that the boat will be done tomorrow, and I can pick it up.

One question, possibly for @Glassman, is probably more like 2 questions.
First is, is there anything specific I should look for in the repairs? I am assuming a perfect match since the boat hasn't been out in the sun so no fading should occur.
Second, is there a cure time for gel coat, kind of like fresh paint? Do I have to be extra cautious for a period of time, avoid wax or anything?

The good news is that they are going to fill the tank for me, so that is like a $150 bonus.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got word that the boat will be done tomorrow, and I can pick it up.

One question, possibly for @Glassman, is probably more like 2 questions.
First is, is there anything specific I should look for in the repairs? I am assuming a perfect match since the boat hasn't been out in the sun so no fading should occur.
Second, is there a cure time for gel coat, kind of like fresh paint? Do I have to be extra cautious for a period of time, avoid wax or anything?

The good news is that they are going to fill the tank for me, so that is like a $150 bonus.
What to look for in the repairs? Nothing. You should see nothing basically. And I'm not being my typical wise-guy here.
It's a new boat, it should look new. Really no reason to expect anything else.

I would definitely keep an eye on that area though. If they did the repair properly you shouldn't see cracks develop there in the future - that can happen if they just do a "quickie" and wipe a little gel coat into the cracks and buff it out.

Yes, there is a cure time. It can vary depending on several factors - the mix, humidity, process used. They should have sanded, polished and waxed the area already as a consequence of completing the repair.

Fortunately that's an area that usually doesn't get much action or traffic - isn't submerged, etc. I'd leave it alone and go boating.

Don't worry about waxing that particular area for a while. Go enjoy your great new boat!

Question, what's that thing I see on the port bow? A horn?

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I doubt the did a quickie job based on the amount of dis-assembly, the amount of time they had it, the fact the manufacturer was down, and me continually pointing out that I am going to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb so anything noted will repaired (over the winter).

Yes, I think it is the horn. I thought about replacing it with a white horn to be less obtrusive, but then maybe the SS scuff plate may stick out more.
The other two things are dock lights.

Oh, and thanks!

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome and congrats! If it were me, I'd pick that thing up, drop her in the water and have them fix the scratches in the fall. They've already documented the issue so I wouldn't think that would create an issue. Plus by then you have have a couple more they could fix while they have it.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
That the plan now. When the issue arose it was 55 degrees and I was told a week or two, so I waited. In the meantime that is when the shop noticed the spider cracks around the windshield and then the boat was in pieces before I ever knew what happened. Yesterday was week 5.

Trust me, I am going to get that 10 hours of break-in done in short order, however, I am reluctant to take it back in for the 10 hour service right after I get the darn thing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Nice boat! I hope you can come to the Shelbyville trip? Or maybe I would come up and see ya on your lake sometime? Where at in Michigan?
Maybe we could start a conversation, but you really should look into the Shelbyville trip. However, you'd have like 70 people crawling over your boat and inspecting everything!
@jonw9

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Jon !!~!!
Pretty Boat !~ Love the colors !

Looking forward to hearing lots more about all of your boating experiences. And Oh ! By the way, being TRIMLESS is worth a Million Bucks ! We love not having that (ie, trim) to worry about every time we take off, accelerate, or slow down.

Take care......... and would love to see it boat on the water and the lift, once you get it. Who's lift are you getting ? A SHOREMASTER, perhaps ?
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 2.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice boat! I hope you can come to the Shelbyville trip? Or maybe I would come up and see ya on your lake sometime? Where at in Michigan?
Maybe we could start a conversation, but you really should look into the Shelbyville trip. However, you'd have like 70 people crawling over your boat and inspecting everything!
@jonw9
70? Try 100+. Last year we had 105 people in attendance and this year should top that easily! Come on down!!

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad to see them being proactive. That's a good sign that they care about this jet boat launch and are taking it seriously. I'm always happy to see companies try to get to the bottom of issues and actively participate with dealers who are the ones fixing these things so they can make it better in the future.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that's a pretty boat. Love the color. Welcome to the site! I can't imagine having to wait like that. We bought ours in the winter and took delivery in April, and that wait felt like an eternity. Five months is too long to wait for a toy like a boat. The good news is, you are almost there and as @txav8r said in an earlier post, you will forget all about the wait by the end of a season on the water.

Now, as for that three month boating season, there is a cure for that. I literally just moved from Minneapolis to Phoenix. The boating season here, I'm told, is January through December as long as you bring a windbreaker for December. :p

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Pushed it back until tomorrow afternoon. The plan changed from me going to pick it up to them delivering. I have a mountain bike race in the morning, and then it will be boat time.

@Speedling : Not sure we will be able to make it out to shelbyville this year. Kind of late notice and it appeared (from the thread) most things are booked up. We are near Brighton, MI (between Lansing and Detroit). Looks like a 300 mile drive.

@MikeyL : I am getting the dock and lift from a local company here in Michigan: http://www.schneiderfab.com/

@leeatmg : I hear ya. At least here another 12 years until my wife can retire. My BIL lives near Phoenix, so we can escape the snow on occasion, but it wold be tough flying the boat down! Your picture at the bottom looks midwest for sure. We visited MPLS a couple years back. Got some pizza Lola!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok did you get the boat delivered and out on the water today? I love it, and the fact Yamaha isn't the only brand of Jetboats anymore! Congrats, it is beautiful, and while 95% of us have Yamaha's we'll do our best to help you spend your money on mods! :)

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Not was delivered today. At the exact same time as the dock. It also had a cooler with a case of beer in it and a full tank of unleaded.

1.2 hours of break in done after dropping in the dock. Hoist is still going together.

This is the only picture I have this far. As you can see I am glad to finally get on the water!

Attachments

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe my next boat will be a Glastron. You are getting treated a lot better by them than I am by Yamaha.