• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New PerfectPass product??

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
maybe the new perfect ass system comes with an EFI conversion kit for the two strokes?

@JetBoatPilot ?

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. If you asked me to judge JPB on what we know of this incident I would have no choice but to consider this unsavory. My stance as a consumer is to manage how that unsavory mark affects my decision. I try to limit that kind of information because for the most part character issues are often none of the consumers business. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to ask personal questions of a store owner to determine if he's the standard I'd prefer. I would rather not purchase from someone with character flaws but I don't know if the owner at whatever store is a giant POS or if I did for whatever reason, I don't know if their competition isn't a bigger POS. My research is limited to their interactions with customers and the product they sell.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the RideSteady was used on the boat in this video, when this video was shot?

Haha, yes. Hard to see, but as the boat turns you can get a glimpse of it in the driver area. Perhaps this was the promotional video he promised to post, he just got the brand name confused?
HA HA! now that's funny, (or just sad)

If anyone wants to send me a gps speed control for free that works with old fashion carbs I’ll say great things about it here. Might even make a video.
If someone wants to send me just a LCD screen so my Perfect Pass system can work properly again I'll be glad to say pretty good things and probably won't make a video about it

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL. I doubt he shows up in this thread at this point that would be suicide.

I still say the knob and RPM control makes RS the easy choice even at the higher price point and ignoring unscrupulous business practices.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A video he shot 10 days ago has RideSteady still installed.

Also, to echo MfM, I'll make a sweet video for a free RideSteady, drone coverage and all!
I understand business deals not happening but don't you return the product (it's not like it's a $3 coozie) and definitely don't shoot more video with said equipment still installed on your boat,

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ridesteady is something I was looking into for the future, so I welcome some competition. I don't know the history with JBP and I can understand being sour if you've been wronged by him, but it seems the majority of the board praises his customer service, and since I'm a customer that's what's important to me. I don't care if it's not his idea. If your product isn't protected, someone taking that product and rebranding and selling it is pretty much the basis of free enterprise. I don't find anything shady about that. Either the market is big enough to support both, or whomever does it better wins.

1400 vs 1200. My early take is that the knob and RPM synching are easily well worth the extra $200 assuming the PP version doesn't have RPM functionality. I'm interested in seeing what the PP system offers.
I get and agree with you. You want to talk about customer service? Justin @Ridesteady is awesome. Shipping so quick, service well. I own my businesses we have great service. I would rank him above us. He sat on the phone with my colorblind butt and helped me out getting installed outside normal business hours. He didnt laugh too much when I had the red wire hocked to my boats ignition brown wire. The system is awesome, like you I would also be looking at the less expensive model. I have confidence in @Ridesteady that he actually tested the unit and it was ready for market.

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
a Mea culpa and full payment for the RideSteady would go a long way... nobody's perfect but between hiding and owning up to it, I'd prefer the second. There are 2 sides to every story and we have not heard the other side yet, but this is a deep hole to climb up from.

(As I re-read what I wrote....In fairness, this situation was revealed very recently, so there is a chance he might not have even seen it yet, so "Hiding" is a strong/potentially false statement to use above, and I am not saying Will is hiding, because we don't know that to be true. If the situation is as described, between not appearing ever and trying to correct it, I'd like the second better.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
GPS speed control can be accomplished on mechanical throttle bodies or carbs. I believe that ridesteady offers a mechanical system but perhaps not for twin engines or not mechanically compatible with yamaha jet boats? Perfect pass does offer this for certain twin engine models. It all comes down to using a servo or stepper motor to control the throttle cable. For those mechanically inclined a single could even be adapted to a twin. It will all come down to the mechanical linkage and mounting. The controller brain won’t care either way as long as there is the right amount of movement in the mechanism the servo or stepper is controlling. One could take a gps system off an old ski boat and fab a compatible linkage to work on any mechanical throttle boat. Shoot I could have put one on my old two smoke speedster or challenger. One issue with carbs is they could be flooded if engines are not running.

The advantage of gps systems controlling electrically operated throttle bodies is reduced latency, reduced lag, reduced variability, improved reliability, and improved resolution. Basically an overall performance and reliability improvement. That is not to say mechanical systems are bad or that they should be avoided. If you wakeboard, ski, or surf and have a mechanical throttle body or carb boat .... get one now.

When comparing one like system to another the implementation of the system including features, ui, and reliability are differential factors. Not everything is known about the new perfect pass offering. I am dubious about the technically superior claim. Is there an added materially relevant feature? If so I am truly curious what it could be.

Based upon the historical systems from perfect pass and not being mentioned rpm control seems to be lacking which would make the rpm sync (I love this on ridesteady) and rpm cruising (I personally hardly use this on ridesteady) differential features that may or may not be desired by those purchasing (can’t imagine who would not want rpm sync). The UI differential of the rotary encoder seems pretty obvious from the photos. Price may be another differential that complicates things if the more expensive product has more/better features. Reliability and future support come into the mix a with slight nod to ridesteady given the issues perfect pass hardware has had over the years and the sync feature ridesteady developed and even offered as a upgrade showcasing compatible with future features and supported.

I know I sound like I am pushing ridesteady right now. Am I happy with it? You bet. Would I recommend it just because I spent money on it? I will let my history here answer that one.

As a product consumer am I always going to buy what is best for me from whom is best for me and hope I don’t know how they conduct the back office stuff? You bet. Will I have some conscious or unconscious bias if I do know? Well I don’t go to a certain barber because of the type of person he is and I choose Lowe's over Home Depot for how they treat vets including the special parking spots but that may be different as it is more personal. I think that comes down to case by case personal choice and to each their own.

Regardless of what boat you have or system you choose having gps speed control for board or ski sports is a must in my book. If you can’t afford it and your significant other is the driver pulling you than you had better find a way to afford it or else it may be more costly in the long run just as many others have said in different ways.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get and agree with you. You want to talk about customer service? Justin @Ridesteady is awesome. Shipping so quick, service well. I own my businesses we have great service. I would rank him above us. He sat on the phone with my colorblind butt and helped me out getting installed outside normal business hours. He didnt laugh too much when I had the red wire hocked to my boats ignition brown wire. The system is awesome, like you I would also be looking at the less expensive model. I have confidence in @Ridesteady that he actually tested the unit and it was ready for market.
Yeah I'm pretty much sold on the RS for when I upgrade, unless something revolutionary drops soon. I'd do it now if I could get my wife onboard, but being as we just bought the boat she isn't even listening to any I need a 1400 speed control system arguments. My kids aren't into watersports other than tubing yet so I'm in no hurry. I would love it for just cruising though. It drives me nuts looking at the tachs and trying to get the RPMs somewhat close.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I'm pretty much sold on the RS for when I upgrade, unless something revolutionary drops soon. I'd do it now if I could get my wife onboard, but being as we just bought the boat she isn't even listening to any I need a 1400 speed control system arguments. My kids aren't into watersports other than tubing yet so I'm in no hurry. I would love it for just cruising though. It drives me nuts looking at the tachs and trying to get the RPMs somewhat close.
It's pretty awesome. I bought it for wake sports. The kids do some but, most of the time we are cruising. Well that's a lie most of the time, I am sitting behind the boat listening to music and being a good boy. Basically it's used for cruising more than sports.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I normally stay out of this stuff because the boating side of life is supposed to be fun, and I have enough B.S. in my day job, yet here I go. I agree competition is a good thing, but this feels more like the other team filming your practice to know your plays. Yes you practice in the open and it’s a free country, but it isn’t fair competition. Until we get both sides of the story we can’t really make a judgment one way or the other, but on its face this isn’t a great look for JBP.
Nobody was losing to the Jets anyhow

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for everyone's support, I really appreciate it!!!

GPS speed control can be accomplished on mechanical throttle bodies or carbs. I believe that ridesteady offers a mechanical system but perhaps not for twin engines or not mechanically compatible with yamaha jet boats?
Yes, we have a "mechanical throttle" version, but it won't work for Yamaha boats, unfortunately. Perfectpass has an offering there, I believe.

I just started tubing myself (well, me towing nieces and nephews). I didn't think I would use Ridesteady at all--just manually manipulate the throttle binnacles while Ridesteady kept the engines in sync. What I found surprised me - doing turns, etc. constantly on the lake, all the while trying to keep my head on a swivel to look out for other boat traffic made it really difficult to keep a good speed manually. I decided to try GPS mode, and it really did help out more than I expected, FWIW. Just steering and looking were what was required after switching the cruise on.

It's pretty awesome. I bought it for wake sports. The kids do some but, most of the time we are cruising. Well that's a lie most of the time, I am sitting behind the boat listening to music and being a good boy. Basically it's used for cruising more than sports.
Haha, I too use Ridesteady a fair amount for cruising. Mostly because I am too lazy to move the throttles by hand. Too much effort! 🤣

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ridesteady has been on my want list since I learned about it. I still have a bit to learn about it but it is a definite want. What I have learned is somehow my "want list" is much more expensive on this Yamaha than previous boats. Just bought a $700 boat cover, wanting to buy the wakesurf setup from Yamaha when it becomes available, and then want RS.

But, while I never really was considering perfect pass due to what I read on this site over the last year, it is now a guarantee I will get RS when the time comes. I was about to purchase a throttle sync from JBP but I'll just put that towards RS money since apparently I won't need it then anyway!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ridesteady has been on my want list since I learned about it. I still have a bit to learn about it but it is a definite want. What I have learned is somehow my "want list" is much more expensive on this Yamaha than previous boats. Just bought a $700 boat cover, wanting to buy the wakesurf setup from Yamaha when it becomes available, and then want RS.

But, while I never really was considering perfect pass due to what I read on this site over the last year, it is now a guarantee I will get RS when the time comes. I was about to purchase a throttle sync from JBP but I'll just put that towards RS money since apparently I won't need it then anyway!
Iwould do the rs first since you will use it more than surfing. He does paypal or did. 6 months 0 interest on PayPal. Problem solved

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Just passing on info from another thread on the wake booster availability.

You might need to reach out and fins a dealer whose got one that would be willing to ship.

Update to the story. Original dealer in Tracy said that the WakeBooster was no longer available and needed to credit back the price. Called the Dealer in Rocklin and they said that they only ordered 5 of them for this year and those were gone and that Yamaha won't even allow them to order more until August or September. He made it sound like they get to order for the year kind of like what they do for boats, and when those are gone, they are gone.

So, the morale of the story: if you want a Wake Booster, call around and find a dealer who has one in stock. Otherwise, it'll be next year.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well apparently we've started some drama that I was not aware of. Our side of the story, short and to the point.

My business partner arranged for JBP to receive a free Ride Steady unit and agreed that we would make an install video in exchange for its use. After learning of this I began to think about what was going to happen once we posted the install video. We would start getting phone calls about how to install them, technical questions, and of course where to buy them. It would only make sense if they were available in our store. We made the install video and produced it but before I went to publish it I asked my business partner if we were going to be allowed to sell them, to which his answer was no. I called RideSteady and asked could we sell their product to which they replied no. I told the owner that with the launch of the Thrust Vector Wake I needed to have a speed control in the store but I did not want to go out and reinvent the wheel by making our own when he had already done it well. His response was that he felt like he could not support our volume. I said ok, well I'll have to offer some sort of speed control to our Wake surf customers and I'd prefer it to be a RS, but I understood and then set out to find an alternative.

Everyone knows that we used to sell alot of Perfect Pass units. Before RS came out they were popular. The older servo style system was a bit outdated and the logical choice for DIY guys was RS. We asked PP to help us develop a new version and they agreed to work with us. They said they could handle our volume and we believe they have a great product, especially now that they have an APS version.

My business partner and I had a discussion about the free sample on Monday and agreed we should either pay for the unit or send it back....at this point it's probably best to pay for it which we'll be glad to do. I'll reach out to RS about that tomorrow.

We never intended to market the RS unit as a PP, and most of you know that we're not dishonest. The RS unit is coming off our test boat next week and when our new Twin Engine PP unit gets here we'll install it, post a video and promote it for the quality product that it is.

While unfortunate, this situation could have been avoided had the RS team been able to handle our volume and agreed to allow us to sell product for them. I wish it would have worked out but it did not. We'll attempt to make it right and hopefully we're able to.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Back to it working with all Yamaha boats...

Are you including new TR1’s for those of us still running two strokes?

@JetBoatPilot

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If so I’ll say good things, make a video, full wrap on the boat and make a Facebook group page.