• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New PerfectPass product??

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So saw this on the FB page. Looks like PerfectPass is jumping on the Yamaha Plug-n-Play band wagon with a new product. Will made the comment that it is "technically superior in a few ways" to RideSteady. I'll be interested in what that means as more information comes out.
Have to say though RideSteady nailed the user interface by using a knob instead of buttons in my opinion, so RS would get the first point from me for user interface.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So saw this on the FB page. Looks like PerfectPass is jumping on the Yamaha Plug-n-Play band wagon with a new product. Will made the comment that it is "technically superior in a few ways" to RideSteady. I'll be interested in what that means as more information comes out.
Have to say though RideSteady nailed the user interface by using a knob instead of buttons in my opinion, so RS would get the first point from me for user interface.

View attachment 97179
If it's good for ANY Yamahas. That means it is not controlled through the aps. Would have to be mechanical still?

Love my ridesteady. Btw

edited : changed from All Yamahas to ANY Yamahas

Like I said if its any, that implies even mechanical throttle boats. Not having looked at the throttles on the non aps boats. Those are mechanical throttles, right?

Last edited:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this doesn't apply to the newer boats, but for me, the 4" round Ridesteady display/control was one of the main reasons I chose it. I love that over an external display.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like I posted on FB......hope this works for the older boats like my 2009 since ride steady does not.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m sure some of the technical guys here can tell us how it works based on Will’s response below.

@Mainah

6CFE76C3-0135-45B2-9E15-25000957C37E.jpeg

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I could be completely wrong on this, but the only "throttle potentiometer" on our boats is the acceleration position sensor on the engine compartment wall, where the throttle cable is attached. This is where RideSteady connects, for the models it supports. I don't see how the perfect pass system can do anything other than that, so I believe it will face the same limitations as the RideSteady unit as far as some of the older models go. I guess we'll find out.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 97179
Un-fucking-believable.

The guy is slicker than shit.
He uses the Ride Steady in his boat in videos!!!

Which, BTW, he apparently received for free promising to promote it for Ride Steady through his TVW videos (which never happened).
Instead, the TVW package comes with... Perfect Pass!

And now, his Perfect Pass pals are suddenly coming up with a system that... works just like the fly-by-wire RIDESTEADY!
And no, it will not work on boats without APS.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::finger::finger::finger:

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like I posted on FB......hope this works for the older boats like my 2009 since ride steady does not.
If @Ridesteady develops it, than yes.

Will Owens will be selling something very similar branded as Perfect Pass Special JBP Edition. No kidding.
:cigar:

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw this earlier... I'm waiting too hear the details before I guage it on the rip-off scale. I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth though. LOVE my @Ridesteady system!

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Competition is good as far as I'm concerned. If they didn't/couldn't patent their product then it's fair game. May the best product, price & service win!
That's too rational... lol!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree...If it doesn't work on my 2006 and @suke 2009 that's age discrimination.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Competition is good as far as I'm concerned. If they didn't/couldn't patent their product then it's fair game. May the best product, price & service win!
Wait, what? We only believe in monopolies around here.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Agreed. The hope should be that PerfectPass copied RideSteady and IMPROVED on it which will push RideSteady to innovate further. This is all win-win guys. For instance, maybe PerfectPass included a throttle ramp up curve configuration per rider - this forces RideSteady back to the workbench to develop and improve on that. Like I said before though, RideSteady already has them out of the gate on the knob style interface IMO.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Competition is good for everyone. It keeps businesses sharp and on top of their game, and also helps consumers feel like they’re not getting screwed on price / features.

FWIW, there are several potentially patentable aspects to our Ridesteady system, but patenting is not always the best path. Not only do you have to go through the years-long process to prosecute a patent, but then you have to defend it, which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars with no certain outcome. Trade secrets, copyrights, and excellent product and service are often a good alternative.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not here to bash anyone’s product, but I will point out differences between other systems and Ridesteady, particularly since the latest offering is being touted as "technically superior". Based on what’s been promoted so far, there are two conspicuously absent features. The dial/knob that the Ridesteady display has, and RPM readout.

With no knob, you don’t get the usability of Ridesteady. It really does make changing the speed and navigating the menu system so much quicker and easier. That’s “acknowledged” by our competition through their set speed steps. Because repeatedly pushing buttons is so much slower, they “speed up” the process by only allowing 0.2-0.3 MPH set speed increments. For example, if you’re surfing at 10.0 MPH and want to bump it up to 10.1 MPH to get the perfect wave, with Ridesteady you would just rotate the 32-position optical encoder knob forward one detent. With our competition, 10.2 would be the closest you could get with their push button scheme, then 10.5 MPH. Navigating the menus, changing users, etc., all suffer similar disadvantages with push buttons.

With no “RPM” readout on the display, that likely means they don’t have a way to bring in the RPM. Which means no RPM mode or engine synchronization, both of which have been fairly well received by our customers.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree...If it doesn't work on my 2006 and @suke 2009 that's age discrimination.
That's my biggest thing. No ridesteady option for our boats. Which I believe after looking at both ridesteady was head and shoulders above, what was currently out anyways, from perfectpass. So fingers crossed we get an option like ridesteady for our boats. If it's just a copy with slight tweaks we're back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of course, that's how it all (should) work.

What gets me riled up is something else, @JetBoatPilot using his self-portrayal as a super swell dude and everyone JBP best friend here, when in fact he is just another shady-marketing, over-promising, under-delivering salesman.

--