• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet Boats, a couple ? on models...

2RiversNC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hello, we're selling our small cabin cruiser (25') and looking to go back to a bowrider- fits our lifestyle much better. I'm considering a bowrider or deck boat with an OB or a Yamaha 242 limited / 242 limited s, looking at both pre-2015 and later with the articulating keel. A couple questions (many thanks in advance):
  1. Having never driven a Yamaha boat, how much different is the ride handling than a boat with a conventional I/O or outboard? How does it handle a 2'-3' chop if you're caught out in a storm?
  2. Is the 2015 + worth the extra money they are bringing?
  3. What is the typical hour range on the 1.8's (freshwater use) before issues begin to pop up?
  4. For those who have had different brands in the past; how does the Yamaha build quality compare?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yamaha Boats are reliable, maintenance is low and the steering is not all that good so I invented systems that fill in ALL the voids and MORE so no problem there, 21 years experience making jet boats steer and drivers smile. You pick a boat and I can tell you what it needs and what it does not need . so don't worry about the handling even in wind waves strong currents or for guest operators and for water sport activities it will out perform a prop boat even stay in a turn without thrust.
Here is a video provided by a very happy customer trying out his super ultimate ak-19 deluxe for the first time on his 2022 195s Yamaha jet boat and his... | By Cobra jet steering | Facebook

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just came home tonight in my old AR210... 47 on the GPS in 2'chop with one bad jet pump and the wrong impellers...

as always YMMV however i have no issues on a 4' sea and have been in 6' seas in the gulf its a lot of work but the boat handles it fine the newer bigger heavier boats will be fine..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just came home tonight in my old AR210... 47 on the GPS in 2'chop with one bad jet pump and the wrong impellers...

as always YMMV however i have no issues on a 4' sea and have been in 6' seas in the gulf its a lot of work but the boat handles it fine the newer bigger heavier boats will be fine..
And cobra jet steering helped !!!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The Yamaha you are looking at is bigger than mine, but like @Cobra Jet Steering LLC said, the steering isn’t all that great. I also have added some cobra jet fins and the slow speed steering is dramatically better. Well worth the couple hundred bucks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello, we're selling our small cabin cruiser (25') and looking to go back to a bowrider- fits our lifestyle much better. I'm considering a bowrider or deck boat with an OB or a Yamaha 242 limited / 242 limited s, looking at both pre-2015 and later with the articulating keel. A couple questions (many thanks in advance):
  1. Having never driven a Yamaha boat, how much different is the ride handling than a boat with a conventional I/O or outboard? How does it handle a 2'-3' chop if you're caught out in a storm?
  2. Is the 2015 + worth the extra money they are bringing?
  3. What is the typical hour range on the 1.8's (freshwater use) before issues begin to pop up?
  4. For those who have had different brands in the past; how does the Yamaha build quality compare?
Ride in 2-3 foot chop is going to suck on any 24' boat (chop as in a period of <3 seconds). That said, my Yamaha handles it ok.
We don't see many issues with these engines. So hard to say if there is an hour point where they have issues.

2RiversNC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the info everyone. Understood about the chop, I sold a Sea Ray 220 Sundeck prior to the cruiser and it handled the chop very well considering the size. Was just curious about overall boat quality comparison.

I just bought a 2011 242 Limited with low hours and look forward to the flexibility of this boat. It already has the Cobra Jet fins installed, looking into being able to add the lateral thrusters also- I believe they are compatible with a minor bracket addition...?

thedon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha Boats are reliable, maintenance is low and the steering is not all that good so I invented systems that fill in ALL the voids and MORE so no problem there, 21 years experience making jet boats steer and drivers smile. You pick a boat and I can tell you what it needs and what it does not need . so don't worry about the handling even in wind waves strong currents or for guest operators and for water sport activities it will out perform a prop boat even stay in a turn without thrust.
Here is a video provided by a very happy customer trying out his super ultimate ak-19 deluxe for the first time on his 2022 195s Yamaha jet boat and his... | By Cobra jet steering | Facebook

WHAT DO i NEED FOR AN INCOMOIG 2023 AR 250?THANK YOU!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The most popular system I offer for that boat is the super magnum AK-19 DELUXE system That is the one that was used in this test.
It has the super fins on the outside of the nozzles and the top fins on the inside as well as the plaining surfaces and the second tie rod . the super fins are tempered aluminum , adjustable so you can choose the influence level at speed, they also automatically change the influence level based on the position of the hull in the water so that you get the most influence when you need it.
The top fins provide extra slow speed steering influence and are out of the water when the boat is on plane to avoid oversteering . The outer fins are compatible with the new reverse nozzles on the 2019 and newer nozzles so they enhance the reverse control without removing any of the real reverse or the side thrust from the new style nozzles.
The extra tie rod adds balance and redundancy and improves longevity of the system. it also allows you to set your nozzles correctly and maintains that setting way better than a cable can do.
The plaining surfaces add to the quickness of the hole shot and improve the smoothness of the ride in chop they also reduce the spray behind the boat from the jets and they ride just above the water on plane so they do not create any drag. That entire setup is several inches ABOVE THE BOTTOM OF THE RUDDER so you don't have to be worried about it hanging down and striking things. I also make a spring loaded version called the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe system but unless you have a fork lift putting your boat in dry dock you don't need to spend the extra money on that. super mag al-19 deluxe below left and super ultimate version below right . The super mag version is M S R P $589 and your buy direct discount price is $489.99 with free domestic priority mail included the super ULT version is M S R P $684.99 and your buy direct discount price is $568.99 also with the free domestic priority mail . I also have base models for both with just the tie rod and the super fins for approximately 100 dollars les than the deluxe versions. Cobra Jet Steering - Yamaha Steering and other products
1668791632050.jpeg1668792056524.jpeg