• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

No Wake Mode ... too fast? <rant>

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I was pulling out of our harbor last night, I approached the boat in front of me fairly quickly, as he was going probably about 2-3mph. In the two years of boating here, I've never seen anyone going that slow out of the harbor, I figured he was just in no hurry at all and cruising, and thought it was a kind move moving off to the right for me as I approached. As he went off to the right, I went to pass him in no wake mode switch #3, which was about 5mph for me at the time. This is my normal harbor speed, and I'm usually right on pace with other boats on my same course leaving the harbor.

Mr. Slow proceeded to flag me down and tell me that I was going way too fast, and creating too big of a wake, pointing at my supposed "wake" off the back. I certainly wouldn't call it a wake. Not wanting to create conflict, I apologized, knocked it down to the first no wake setting for awhile and asked him nicely if that was any better. I then get a somewhat aggressive response: "Do what you want, it's your ticket." ...

This flustered me for the rest of the evening. It shouldn't, but I'm just not very experienced when it comes to conversing with a$$holes. I've gone in and out of this harbor nearly a hundred times now, sometimes right alongside or behind the patrol boats.

So other than ranting/getting this off my chest ... has anyone else had any issues with patrol/DNR indicating that your no wake mode (even at its max setting) is too fast?

Nope, I've been through the channels near the DNR/sheriff and no issues. I do find it a little fast for my liking sometimes. I only have one setting on my boat.

In Florida... Idle speed no wake means the minimum speed that your vessel can maintain safe steerage. Slow speed minimum wake means that the hull is fully off plane and settled in the water, and there is a "minimum" wake that does not create a hazard to other vessels.

I operate in no wake mode all the time (not when very close to docks or harbors) at an average speed of 4.5 mph on my boat and never had an issue... with either the law or other boaters. My first response to anyone who would give me any lip will be... It's a jet boat, and this is the slowest speed that I can maintain safe steerage. This is Florida... So your mileage may vary...

Ed

I have been at the lake all weekend and have been noticing boats going through our channel... No Wake means a lot of different things it seems. Only one time did I see someone cruise by that was actually obnoxious (and he got yelled at by a neighbor, and it was obvious) . I was talking with a buddy last night about this very subject. I sometimes feel # 3 is too fast for some areas around the lake. I typically no wake cruise at #3 in the open no wake areas and then bump it down to #1 when I am in a channel. To answer your question though I have cruised by Ohio DNR sherifs at #3 with no issue whats so ever.

Never had any issues here, either. But I am usually on 2 in no wake zones. Not always. And if it is crowded, I may knock it down to 1... And the constables tend to hang out where it is crowded.

I would blow Mr. self-appointed lake cop off.

Don't confuse what Yamaha calls a 'no wake' mode and what the law considers the definition of 'no wake' to be. Technically, a no wake zone means just that... No wake, not even 6 inches of wake.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what a fellow boater thinks of your wake unless you are putting their vessel or man in the water in danger.

I have been yelled at once for notch 3 in a tight channel. I was not giving up a notch because I wanted the steering. In this case the guy was sitting in a lawn chair on his seawall drinking so it was pretty obvious he was just looking for trouble. I told a few others the story and he had run-ins with others as well. Threatened to get the numbers off their boat and report them so they shined one of those gazillion candle power handheld lights in his eyes and wished him luck as they laughed and drove away.

Bottom-line is you need to be safe out there and drive as slow as you can to prevent damage or injury without losing control and causing damage or injury. In Illinois a law enforcement officer has to personally witness the infraction or it never happened unless you cause damage or injury. In my case I just threw up my hands and said "what do you want me to do?" and kept going.

There was an ex-coast guard guy on yjb that claimed you should be able to operate our boats at idle speed and I mostly agree with him unless you are dealing with wind or a tight channel with a lot of other boats operating.

Thanks for the info guys. I certainly could have managed at a slower speed (maybe #2, boat was loaded), but I really didn't think it was necessary and believe I was operating at a safe no-wake speed. I like to consider myself a very safe, considerate boater, and certainly don't want to create wake in this area especially with the multitude of moored house boats in the harbor.

I'm guessing Mr. Slow was "new" to this area (I'd never seen the boat before) and felt he had to justify his abnormally slow speed at my expense...

Thanks for the info guys. I certainly could have managed at a slower speed (maybe #2, boat was loaded), but I really didn't think it was necessary and believe I was operating at a safe no-wake speed. I like to consider myself a very safe, considerate boater, and certainly don't want to create wake in this area especially with the multitude of moored house boats in the harbor.

I'm guessing Mr. Slow was "new" to this area (I'd never seen the boat before) and felt he had to justify his abnormally slow speed at my expense...

Mr. Slow was probably just a jerk. If one person gives you a hard time then they are probably a jerk. If everyone gives you a hard time then you might be the jerk. I would not worry about it.

Or maybe this happened, mr. Water patrol himself either was confronted or perhaps ticketed for the offense and figures now he is getting his revenge on anyone he sees who is going faster than be thinks they should be, or faster than he thinks he was at the time of his incident...this is just a theory, but I have seen it happen.

Sometimes I notice #3 no wake creates a small wake, in the sense that a slight raised wave is created. But not too sure if it's the same with you twin guys, but I can sometimes get a resonance at #3, so #2 is my preferred setting.
Were you in TDE position on your throttles? Sometimes when I'm in a hurry and I'm nearly in open water, I'll push the throttle forward another click just to raise the bucket out the way. This creates more forward thrust and a larger wake.

As for Mr Sarcastic, think I would of just acknowledged his comment, knocked it down a notch and carried on, any dialogue with over opinionated people will get you no where and just not worth wasting you time.

I agree with the diplomatic response to this situation, throttle back and move on.
It's rarely worth giving some A-hole the time of day or satisfaction of provoking an argument.
Plus my lake time is too precious to allow someone else to ruin my day.
BTW, haven't had a problem with the no wake mode at any speed although I don't use it for docking.
It's very handy for the slow cruise though.

Hi, Coast Guard here... No wake speed is not a speed at all. People shouldn't associate speed with wake, this is a no wake zone, not a slow speed zone (those are different). It's pretty simple, you are RESPONSIBLE for your wake. So if you through a big one and it damages something, you get the bill if someone presses charges. There are also no wake zones for environmental protection and those tend to very. Web search the state boating regulations for your particular body of water and you'll find some other useful info too.

I use no wake setting #2 for no wake zones close to shore. I use no wake setting #3 for slow speed zones.

As for the d-bag, he's just jealous of your awesome boat! I usually tend to wave to those guys and kill them with kindness. I found that makes them madder then flipping them off or yelling at them. Also a very fun approach for road ragers!

It is disappointing that people can be such a pain the a... I agree with the above comments just be polite and move on. No reason to lose any sleep over that. Of course I say this and I tend to have a hard time ignoring such people but I don't worry about it at all. I am usually passed when I am in no wake mode. I do bounce around between the various steps a little depending on the situation. Many times I will use the throttles to steer while keeping the speed very low. I have never had the DNR say anything nor anyone at the marina.

@PedalPirate beat me to the punch. We have two restrictions here, "no wake" and 5 mph. As our Coast Guard member said only the 5mph is a speed restriction. Our boats seem to generate small wakes at fairly slow speeds probably due to the hull design. I have been waved down by water police while using "no wake" and I have the older boat with a fixed no wake speed. He didn't stop me but obviously thought my wake was too big.

I agree with everyone. In my cove, I do wake mode #2 as three just produces too much wake for a no wake zone in my opinion.

Conservation officer that pulled me over lastweekend said she clocked me and I was below the 10 mph limit for dark. This was just in no wake mode

Conservation officer that pulled me over lastweekend said she clocked me and I was below the 10 mph limit for dark. This was just in no wake mode

"So officer, why are we having this conversation?"

Lol
bow light out on starboard side.
got new led ones going in now

Back