• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Wake Mode <won't engage-adjust throttle stop screw>

Ryan Vogels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have one engine that the no wake mode does not function on. Does anyone know if it will not work if the Throttle Position Sensor is showing even the slightest throttle? I have been working on adjusting idle speed, and I am worried that that turning the throttle screw is creating a condition that is showing partial throttle.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the interest of troubleshooting... have you tried activating in just forward, just aft, and neutral throttle positions? Any warning led (over temp, low oil pressure) will prevent no wake mode from activating as well.

Ryan Vogels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't had it on the water recently to do much trouble shooting. I plan to try and tackle this on the hose tomorrow. That is a good idea. But if my theory holds true, it won't matter! I do not have any warning lights.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Switch the switches right to start with to see if that's your problem

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
just sharing...hope this helps with no wake problems.

"I have had intermittent no wake mode issues for the last three years on my 2006 AR230 HO and I know a lot of other people have had similar issues with varying results of troubleshooting. The starboard engine has been working but for the last full year my port engine no wake mode would not work at all so today i dove in to try and fix it.
The steps I took:
Charged both batteries... didn't work.
Changed the spark plugs..... didn't work.
Swapped the switches to see if one switch was bad..... didn't work.
Swapped by-pass valve motors (circled in upper right corner below) between engines.... didn't work
Adjusted throttle screw circled in the center of the below picture.... GREAT SUCCESS!
I believe it is the throttle stop screw. I rotated it less than a quarter turn in the counter-clockwise direction and now my no-wake mode engages like a champion. If I rotate the screw just a little back in the clockwise direction the no-wake mode will engage for a couple seconds and then quit. If I rotate the screw back to its original position it will not engage at all and shows no indication that it is even trying. You will need the T25 bit in the second picture below to adjust the screw or just a pair of pliers...."

screw.JPG

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian can you add this to the member's tips
@Ryan Vogels can you change the title to something that includes "fix" or "no wake problem throttle stop screw setting"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great job on finding this. I'm going to try it on my boat as my port no-wake has acted just like you describe since I purchased it 2 years ago. Fortunately I rarely have a need for no-wake mode since my main lake does not have any no wake zones.

dwright1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
just sharing...hope this helps with no wake problems.

"I have had intermittent no wake mode issues for the last three years on my 2006 AR230 HO and I know a lot of other people have had similar issues with varying results of troubleshooting. The starboard engine has been working but for the last full year my port engine no wake mode would not work at all so today i dove in to try and fix it.
The steps I took:
Charged both batteries... didn't work.
Changed the spark plugs..... didn't work.
Swapped the switches to see if one switch was bad..... didn't work.
Swapped by-pass valve motors (circled in upper right corner below) between engines.... didn't work
Adjusted throttle screw circled in the center of the below picture.... GREAT SUCCESS!
I believe it is the throttle stop screw. I rotated it less than a quarter turn in the counter-clockwise direction and now my no-wake mode engages like a champion. If I rotate the screw just a little back in the clockwise direction the no-wake mode will engage for a couple seconds and then quit. If I rotate the screw back to its original position it will not engage at all and shows no indication that it is even trying. You will need the T25 bit in the second picture below to adjust the screw or just a pair of pliers...."

View attachment 10300
Thanks for the help, left engine wake mode works again. Great advice, saved me from towing the boat to the dealer ship and spending to much money to have it fixed.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the help, left engine wake mode works again. Great advice, saved me from towing the boat to the dealer ship and spending to much money to have it fixed.
Awesome.....glad to hear!!

PWMartin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had port enging no wake problems since I bought my 2006 SX240 in 2009. Several hours of troublshooting (switching switches; multimeter testing) revealed no obvious fixes. At one point I cleaned all terminals from the port engine no wake mode switch to the port engine and that seemed to fix the problem, but with an intermittent problem you don't always know right away if the fix worked - which it did not. I even took it to the Yamaha dealer but they seem more focused on motorcycles than boats. The mechanic adjusted the throttle cables (one theory to fix the problem) and like any other fix, it seemed to work at first but the problem returned to the intermittent "works and then doesn't work" stage. This thread has the most simplest fix I've ever seen. Usually the proposed fix involves locating something I don't understand and testing it with something I don't have. I haven't tried this fix yet but at least I know what to try. THANKS!

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had port enging no wake problems since I bought my 2006 SX240 in 2009. Several hours of troublshooting (switching switches; multimeter testing) revealed no obvious fixes. At one point I cleaned all terminals from the port engine no wake mode switch to the port engine and that seemed to fix the problem, but with an intermittent problem you don't always know right away if the fix worked - which it did not. I even took it to the Yamaha dealer but they seem more focused on motorcycles than boats. The mechanic adjusted the throttle cables (one theory to fix the problem) and like any other fix, it seemed to work at first but the problem returned to the intermittent "works and then doesn't work" stage. This thread has the most simplest fix I've ever seen. Usually the proposed fix involves locating something I don't understand and testing it with something I don't have. I haven't tried this fix yet but at least I know what to try. THANKS!
I hope this helps....let us know!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PWMartin glad to have you on board, jump right in and try it, it would be good for us to know if this is a common issue for no wake not working,

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I intended to try this before the boating season ended but didn't get to it (I rarely even think about using the no-wakes on my boat). If I have time, I might take a look at it this weekend while winterizing.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried it. No wake mode now works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tried played with the idle set screw and it seemed to get my no-wake mode working in my driveway but then no dice while on the water. Something strange happened last weekend where my port engine all of a sudden wanted to run at 5k rpms in idle. I pulled out my tool kit and went after the set idle screw. Within about 10 minutes I had both engines idling around 1800 RPMs. The port engines no-wake mode was working again too!!! My high RPM issue was gone and I was back to the watersports in less than 15minutes total time. The only bad news is when I tried the port-nowake mode again last night it did not engage and I don't want to set the idle over 2k so I'm thinking it is right on the edge of working.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tried played with the idle set screw and it seemed to get my no-wake mode working in my driveway but then no dice while on the water. Something strange happened last weekend where my port engine all of a sudden wanted to run at 5k rpms in idle. I pulled out my tool kit and went after the set idle screw. Within about 10 minutes I had both engines idling around 1800 RPMs. The port engines no-wake mode was working again too!!! My high RPM issue was gone and I was back to the watersports in less than 15minutes total time. The only bad news is when I tried the port-nowake mode again last night it did not engage and I don't want to set the idle over 2k so I'm thinking it is right on the edge of working.
Seems like there was another issue causing the 5K. I suggest finding that problem before adjusting the screw. IMO - you should make sure both throttles are even or do that adjustment, make sure engines are running correct idle before adjusting the no wake set screw. Does your boat have one no wake button for both engines or separate per engine?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Seems like there was another issue causing the 5K. I suggest finding that problem before adjusting the screw. IMO - you should make sure both throttles are even or do that adjustment, make sure engines are running correct idle before adjusting the no wake set screw. Does your boat have one no wake button for both engines or separate per engine?
The boat has a no-wake switch for each engine. The idles are set correctly right now at around 1800rpms per engine. I've been out a few times since I adjusted them and no issues. I have no need for the no wake mode switches on the lake I do 90% of my boating so I often forget to test it out.

rbojor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the help. My port No-Wake now works like a gem.

Rigoberto Moreno

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi I have a 2004 SR230, that I feel like my iddle is not working or am not sure how to set it up, it feel like and a 5 miles per hour zone, it goes at 1 or two mile , I seen the other boater go way faster then me. Is there a way to make adjustments???

If anyone knows please advise so I can catch with you guys