• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil changes just got a little easier

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 4 oil changes, I finally got tired of leaning over the motors to add oil. The pic shows a 1 qt funnel with a shut-off valve hanging above the engines. Just stick the hose into the engine and pour the required amount. No more leaning over the engines.
Here's the procedure, after draining the oil and replacing the filter:
1. Remove oil caps from the engines.
2. Hang the funnel, with the valve closed.
3. Place the funnel hose into one of the engines.
4. Add a quart of oil into the funnel.
5. Open the funnel valve.
6. Drink beer while the funnel empties.
7. Repeat steps 1 to 6 until the dipstick reading is where you want it.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FANCY!!!!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Brilliant @MrMoose. Now can you get one of those funnels just for step #6? I can just see my wife keeping my funnel filled while she's peeling my grapes.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I want the easy/clean oil filter solution...
Thx Mr Moose!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I want the easy/clean oil filter solution...
Thx Mr Moose!
Thats an easy one! I bought (forget which member suggested this) a box of incontinence pads on EBAY (I have enough to last until I need them for their intended purpose!!!LOL). You can also buy them at any drug store.

All you do is lay the pad under the engine and take off the filter....oil goes all over the pad. I then drop the filter onto the pad, and fold the pad up around it and remove.....ZERO mess! NONE! I just wish I could remember who told me this trick and give them full credit!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 4 oil changes, I finally got tired of leaning over the motors to add oil. The pic shows a 1 qt funnel with a shut-off valve hanging above the engines. Just stick the hose into the engine and pour the required amount. No more leaning over the engines.
Here's the procedure, after draining the oil and replacing the filter:
1. Remove oil caps from the engines.
2. Hang the funnel, with the valve closed.
3. Place the funnel hose into one of the engines.
4. Add a quart of oil into the funnel.
5. Open the funnel valve.
6. Drink beer while the funnel empties.
7. Repeat steps 1 to 6 until the dipstick reading is where you want it.
Hmm.... I wonder, where did you get the idea...?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thats an easy one! I bought (forget which member suggested this) a box of incontinence pads on EBAY (I have enough to last until I need them for their intended purpose!!!LOL). You can also buy them at any drug store.

All you do is lay the pad under the engine and take off the filter....oil goes all over the pad. I then drop the filter onto the pad, and fold the pad up around it and remove.....ZERO mess! NONE! I just wish I could remember who told me this trick and give them full credit!
I use puppy training pads, they work and they are less embarrassing to buy.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those hoses will actually screw directly onto the oil bottle as well. I use them for the 2-stroke waverunners all the time. The valve makes it an easy instant off.

The cap on the 1qt bottles should be the same exact size as well. Great tips guys, keep them coming.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use puppy training pads, they work and they are less embarrassing to buy.
I use the puppy training pads too; got the idea from the forum, BUT I often got a few drips here and there because the pads that I bought don't seem to be absorbent enough. For my most recent change, I layed a puppy pad under the filter area and I packed a bunch of paper towels between the pad and the bottom edge of the part of the motor where the oil filter screws in. The paper towels caught and absorbed all spillage, and I used the puppy pad underneath to collect the whole mess. Finally, not a drop of oil in the boat.