• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the Hunt!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had been lurking at that OTHER place for a while when I recently found this forum. It's a much nicer setup.

My wife and I have three children, 8, 6, and 16 months and live in the Hill County just outside of San Antonio. After a recent trip to Lake LBJ and two crappy rental boats, I finally got wife approval to find us a boat of our own. After seeing a local SX230 that was for sale last fall we discovered Yamaha boats for the first time but with a YOUNG infant, it was a hard sell to the wife. Now, it's easy. These boats look great for families that's aren't hard into wake sports. My girls barely do the tube yet.

I have tons of ski boat experience in the distant past, growing up with Ski Nautique's and Mastercraft ski boats in the 80's and 90's before wake sports really became big. I was so into it in the late 90's that my friends and I used to ski, wakeboard and barefoot in Colorado in October with dry suits on lakes that were already half frozen. But owning a boat in Colorado made little sense to me after that and I stopped boating.

About two years ago, we had acquired a 'free boat' that was originally my grandfathers boat from a family member. It needed a little TLC (I'm sure you can see where this is going) It's a mid 60's 19' Californian from the California Boat Company in Newport Beach, which my grandfather founded. Classic boat with classic lines. But besides the hull, not much has survived. Wiring needs to be completely replaced, floors has rotted out and when I went to turn the motor over after I seven year slumber, I found that 3 of 6 cylinders of the Mercruiser I6 have water in them and have rusted badly.

I will eventually restore this boat to its former glory (gold fleck!) and resurrect a one of a kind boat of which I have found no peers, but I don't want to deny our family lake time any longer. Hopefully we will get into a well priced used Yamaha this fall.

Boat selling season is about to begin . . .

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, and good luck in your search. . . . .

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome! From what I hear, the dealer announcement for the 2015 lineup is going to be pretty soon and usually that means a lot of 2010's and older will suddenly be on the market. :) it will be a great time to buy used, that's for sure!

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Re the 2015, yes I was reading the same, thanks to this forum. ;)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @JetPowered Glad you found us and decided to join. Good luck with your search.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Are you looking for new or used? My boat may be up for sale after this season. I live in Dallas, but travel to Austin frequently. Might bring my boat to Lake Austin or Canyon Lake before the summer is over.

BTW, I'm a transplanted Coloradan in Texas and I also spent the late 90's, early 00's skiing behind Mastercraft. When an old knee injury led the Dr. to tell me I needed to cut back on skiing, I traded my used Mastercraft in for a brand new Yamaha AR230. Loved it ever since.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @JetPowered !
Glad you found us ........... We're like "buried treasure." An incredible haul of goodies once we're found !
Best Wishes to you ........... Lots of wonderful people here to help you !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
+             CartoonWelcomeAboard.jpg

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go used. Here's a rundown on my 2008SX230

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yep, used is the plan. It doesn't make sense to me to buy new unless you are a close to a model year or two of new.

@maboat, if you are ever down this way with the boat, let us know. Lake Austin is a bit of a haul, but Canyon is 40 minutes door to dock.

To everyone else, thank for the warm reception! I moderate/administer a forum for VW Touaregs. It's nice to see another solid community built around a mutual passion/cult!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard.

The big bonus for your young family is the safety factor. you literally can not get your hand into the area of the impeller. The jet pumps are also mounted well away from the swim platform and I've never even touched them when climbing aboard. Also, given the low profile of the engines, there is no large engine cover so it's easier for the little ones to move from the cockpit to the swim deck and back.

You'll appreciate the low maintenance requirements and high reliability. The pumps are simple, not requiring annual service as I've hears some I/O units require.

These are all reasons we bought a jet boat and those reasons still apply today, five years after our used boat purchase.

I wish you good hunting for your boat. Sounds like you may already have a lead on one...

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @JetPowered. Your young ones are the best reason to get into a propless Yamaha.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Welcome @JetPowered !! Glad you found us. Good luck with the search of your new boat. I would really like to see some pics of the Californian, I have a soft spot for classic boats...

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm guessing that your profile pic is the old Californian.???