• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Onboard battery charger question. 2018 242x e-series.

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2018 242x e-series. Currently have the stock 2 batteries and selector switches. I am going to add a second house battery in parallel and on board charger. Do I get a 3 bank charger and just hook directly to each battery? Wasn’t sure since the two are hooked together in parallel. Any advice for the on-board charger?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I would do the 3 bank charger (if the budget allows). Especially if you are going to have batteries of different ages or different types (e.g. 1 flooded and 2 AGM, etc.).

I have a Minn-Kota. Member here would swear by them. So far so good with mine.

Might also look into an ACR. I would recommend the Blue Sea Add-A-Battery kit. Much easier than the multiple selectors and things...

Chuckz21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I run a 2 bank 20a genius nocco. The starter battery is the stock one that came with the boat, replaced the house with 2 27 series deep cycles that run in parallel. VSR is on a switch off all the time unless I'm underway and decide to turn it on. I've actually had it out for 2 days with music and running LEDs at night with plenty of charge. Been a great setup. no complaints.

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would think your second house battery is overkill. Are you sure you need it? A single larger house battery might be enough?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah 3 bank. I also have the two bank noco. Stuff of champions

mattimus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
did you set this up? if so, how? do you happen to have pics?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
did you set this up? if so, how? do you happen to have pics?
Me? Very simple set up. I didn't even drill the charger in. This is where I put it and hold it in place with a Velcro mesh. Each set of wires goes to + and - on battery.
IMG_20190622_181223.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just out of idle curiosity...

What is with the wire on top of the fire extinguisher that is labeled, "Must Be Connected to Common Battery Negative"? Doesn't seem like that should be there...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That wire is the DVSR ground wire and should be connected to ground.

@Wyoboat why do you think you need a 3rd battery?
Probably because he’s been given 2 starting batteries by his dealer....

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just out of idle curiosity...

What is with the wire on top of the fire extinguisher that is labeled, "Must Be Connected to Common Battery Negative"? Doesn't seem like that should be there...
Yes, it is the ground wire like @Julian states. There are a few ways to do the "DVSR mod" so that the smart charges can do their thing. I chose to simply use a winged nut and remove the ground wire whenever I am using the charger. If you don't do any of the dvsr mods, then when you plug in the charger, the dvsr will activate and essentially charge all banks as one big bank, turning your fancy expensive charger into a dumb one.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For question #1, it is whatever the dealer wants to give you. There is nothing set in stone.

MmmBacon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I run a 2 bank 20a genius nocco. The starter battery is the stock one that came with the boat, replaced the house with 2 27 series deep cycles that run in parallel. VSR is on a switch off all the time unless I'm underway and decide to turn it on. I've actually had it out for 2 days with music and running LEDs at night with plenty of charge. Been a great setup. no complaints.
I have the exact same model as your and just dropped in 4 pair of Wetsounds Revo 6 and a 12" FA Sub with two decent amps. I spend a ton of time anchored with the music running and would love to know more about your exact set up (batteries you used, wiring diagram, etc). Sounds like you have exactly like what I am looking for and need. Would you mind DMing me or replying with more details? Thanks!