• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

*Pics* White Factory Overspray in Engine Bay - QC Repairs

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yep. Somebody likely did something after the boat left the factory.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't imagine that the engine is in the boat when they are working on the fiberglass and gel coat....which is why I'm wondering if something was done to that boat after it was constructed....

Bruce is right on about the kill switch....bet that is the problem with your engine dying.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Been enjoying my 190 FSH. Its a great boat other than the quality issues I've encountered.

So I finally dropped my boat off at a Yamaha dealer today to investigate the overspray issue and to fix all issues that are wrong with the boat.
I was cordial with them, but expressed how disappointed I am with all of the items wrong with the boat.

The dealer said that they have not seen the overspray issue like mine before. Lets see what Yammy says and does.

Below is the laundry list of items in need of correction that were left with the dealer.

1. Jet wash hose kinked (black hose next to jet pump)

2. Port side combing pads (wavy / bad stitching/ both should be replaced)

3. Overs-spray on center console (black trim near footrest facing aft) most of it has been clay bar’d off by me.

4. Over-spray all over engine area. Engine cover & wires. This overspray all over the engine and engine accessories, hoses, and wires needs to be addressed. Its unacceptable. Already have a call into Yamaha.

5. Starboard side jump seat rubs against sides when lowered and raised. Is causing damage to gel coat.

6. Center console changing area has large scrape/damage on grey paint (is there touch up paint for this?) This seems to been have done at the factory.

7. Anchor locker drain hole missing through-hull fitting. Stem on fitting not long enough. Does not continue all the way through to anchor locker. Water can leak to changing area from this weak seal.

8. Anchor locker - Anchor holder clips cracked (over-tightened)

9. Switch cover missing for "Docking Lights" Clips to hold switch cover broken. Needs all new switch. New cover too.

10. Both floor scuppers leaking. Water going into storage compartment.

11. Glove box latch stripped out. Latch strike cannot be tightened down. Stripped out. Will not latch closed.

12. Gel coat chip underneath helm footrest

13. Front fish locker has multiple issues. Through hull drain is incorrect size for hole. Gap in drain hole was filled w silicon. Water still leaks into compartment.

14. Fish locker has some sort of off white paint all over inside of locker. Could not peel it all out.

15. Gel coat on center console very thin. There are some pores in gel coat by fm radio. There seems to have been repairs. (putty fill ins) One has popped out exposing a chip. Near FM radio.

16. Engine compartment vibration insulation not glued in center of hatch cover. Falling down.

17. Many deck latches are loose. Battery compartment, live well, etc. All should be checked and tightened.

18.Every through hull that I have been able to test leaks. I was unable to test through hulls that were not easily accessible. Please leak check all penetrations.

Im very mechanically inclined and could have fixed a lot of them myself, but why should I?

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Give it back to them. They failed to deliver a new boat. I guess that's easy to say as well as do for me, being one who sues jack offs like this at the drop of a hat. If you were in MD I'd be happy to F*&k with the dealer for you. At my age, I'd rather get pleasure in seeing a wrong righted, than making money off someone who was wronged but is not truly equipped to deal with it, as I am. Sorry for your loss. Black eye for Yamaha for sure.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Been enjoying my 190 FSH. Its a great boat other than the quality issues I've encountered.

So I finally dropped my boat off at a Yamaha dealer today to investigate the overspray issue and to fix all issues that are wrong with the boat.
I was cordial with them, but expressed how disappointed I am with all of the items wrong with the boat.

The dealer said that they have not seen the overspray issue like mine before. Lets see what Yammy says and does.

Below is the laundry list of items in need of correction that were left with the dealer.

1. Jet wash hose kinked (black hose next to jet pump)

2. Port side combing pads (wavy / bad stitching/ both should be replaced)

3. Overs-spray on center console (black trim near footrest facing aft) most of it has been clay bar’d off by me.

4. Over-spray all over engine area. Engine cover & wires. This overspray all over the engine and engine accessories, hoses, and wires needs to be addressed. Its unacceptable. Already have a call into Yamaha.

5. Starboard side jump seat rubs against sides when lowered and raised. Is causing damage to gel coat.

6. Center console changing area has large scrape/damage on grey paint (is there touch up paint for this?) This seems to been have done at the factory.

7. Anchor locker drain hole missing through-hull fitting. Stem on fitting not long enough. Does not continue all the way through to anchor locker. Water can leak to changing area from this weak seal.

8. Anchor locker - Anchor holder clips cracked (over-tightened)

9. Switch cover missing for "Docking Lights" Clips to hold switch cover broken. Needs all new switch. New cover too.

10. Both floor scuppers leaking. Water going into storage compartment.

11. Glove box latch stripped out. Latch strike cannot be tightened down. Stripped out. Will not latch closed.

12. Gel coat chip underneath helm footrest

13. Front fish locker has multiple issues. Through hull drain is incorrect size for hole. Gap in drain hole was filled w silicon. Water still leaks into compartment.

14. Fish locker has some sort of off white paint all over inside of locker. Could not peel it all out.

15. Gel coat on center console very thin. There are some pores in gel coat by fm radio. There seems to have been repairs. (putty fill ins) One has popped out exposing a chip. Near FM radio.

16. Engine compartment vibration insulation not glued in center of hatch cover. Falling down.

17. Many deck latches are loose. Battery compartment, live well, etc. All should be checked and tightened.

18.Every through hull that I have been able to test leaks. I was unable to test through hulls that were not easily accessible. Please leak check all penetrations.

Im very mechanically inclined and could have fixed a lot of them myself, but why should I?
You sure this wasn't some sort of demo boat or maybe a boat show floor model that saw a lot of traffic and had to be touched up to look new again. How many hours were on it?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
0 hours on the boat. I saw no evidence to think it was used. It still had it wrapping on it here and there when I saw it.

I wouldn't have thought this could have come from the factory like this too, but his particular model (190 FSH) seemed to skip around the quality inspections somehow.
Besides the overspray, most of the other issues listed are common to other FSH owners.
Negligence at the factory seems very possible to me.

My opinion is that Yamaha was trying to push these boats out the door too fast. They were getting sloppy... Lots of people had deposits down and were upset they didn't have their boats yet... It was a brand new model.
Late delivery issues were documented in this forum.
Still no excuse... They broke a major business rule.

I am interested to see how Yamaha handles it. I told the dealer to tell Yamaha that I am documenting all of this on this forum. :)

Thank you jetboaters.net!

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check for two nuts on the cleanout hatch switch. Mine only had the top nut and with vibration would back down. They insisted that missing parts are normal. I had to argue for 45~minutes no exaggeration with the dealer folks for a &#*in' plastic nut. We weren't delivered the boat we agreed to. They dragged one out of the fenced lot that was full of leaves and crap and were washing it out when we got back to take delivery. It has several flaws. The most irritating is the lid to the bucket well doesn't fit right. I could overlook it but my bride can't let it go. When I removed the bucket well to install the Airmar through hull transducer, I sure hope a robot didn't do the cut out. Two screws are just for looks as the hole was cut out bigger than the screw pattern. Maybe the top cap on the FSH isn't manufactured by robots and the cheapest labor one could possibly imagine is building our $35k boats. Looking back, I regret not buying the one at Barney's Yamaha in St. Pete. We crawled all over and under it and determined it was nearly flawless but a few more dollars. But, I'm enjoying the boat just the same. I just learned a couple of expensive lessons.
Wishing you complete satisfaction with your warranty corrections.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just FWIW, I took the one plastic nut from the safety switch to every hardware store name in town. It's real close to 5/8" fine thread but not quite. Nothing I could find metric would even begin to screw onto the switch. Arguing with the dealer was a last resort after the buying experience. It was every bit the fiasco I thought it was going to be.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
es no exaggeration with the dealer folks for a &#*in' plastic nut. We weren't delivered the boat we agreed to. They dragged one out of the fenced lot that was full of leaves and crap and were washing it out when we got back to take delivery. It has several flaws. The most irritating is the lid to the bucket well doesn't fit right. I could overlook it but my bride can't let it go. When I removed the bucket well to install the Airmar through hull transducer, I sure hope a robot didn't do the cut out. Two screws are just for looks as the hole was cut out bigger than the screw pattern. Maybe the top cap on the FSH isn't manufactured by robots and the cheapest labor one could possibly imagine is building our $35k boats. Looking back, I regret not buying the one at Barney's Yamaha in St. Pete. We crawled all over and under it and determined it was nearly flawless but a few more d
Thats good to know. So the bucket well is kinda just glued in then? Wanted to pop mine off soon to have a look around in there anyways. Ill check that out.
I'll also make sure not to loose that plastic nut either. :) Looks like you would have to buy that whole expensive switch just to the plastic nut that comes with it.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thats good to know. So the bucket well is kinda just glued in then? Wanted to pop mine off soon to have a look around in there anyways. Ill check that out.
I'll also make sure not to loose that plastic nut either. :) Looks like you would have to buy that whole expensive switch just to the plastic nut that comes with it.
The screws around the lip of the bucket well hold it in place. One side of mine is cut out too big and a couple of the screws just touch the edge of the cutout. The rest of the screws are in holes holding the well in place.
Take care of those precious plastic nuts. Don't lose one and don't over tighten them either. If my switch ever gives up the ghost, I may simply bypass it. Just have to make damn sure the engine is off, key and safety clip are removed before reaching in for some salad. The switch's purpose of redundancy is a good thing.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All boats (not just yamahas) come through the assembly line and then flaws are repaired as needed. Bottom line is that there is no such thing as a new boat. Yamaha will make it right but your dealer may have to be willing to push them along. They should send it to a real glass guy for cleanup and detail. They will probably have to wet sand the gel overspray off of the gel coat. Not sure what they'll do about the engine aside from a replacement cover and some small parts.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Update:
Boats been at the dealer for the last 3 weeks awaiting word from Yamaha about all the issues I have with my boat. Most importantly the overspray & gelcoat issues.
So I spoke directly Yamaha Customer Service today and got an update. It was the most awkward experience I have ever had with a customer service dept.

They decided to deny all of my gelcoat and overspray and visual defect issues as warrantable items. His excuse for not doing so was since my boat was purchased in Arizona (super hot climate), the boat may have been uncovered and out in the sun at the dealer. And the sun caused most of the defects on the boat. What the hell does that have to do with overspray in the engine compartment???? AHHHH! I'm obviously being brushed off. He then began to give me more excuses not to fix the items like cosmetic issues don't affect engine performance, etc. He then started to blame the dealer who sold me the boat. Yamaha would never let the boat leave the factory like that, etc.

Im dealing with some major incompetence here and am speechless. I asked to speak to his manager and he told me that there is no one else that I can speak to. That he was it... This is so frustrating. After going back and forth for an hour (yelling) he said that he would talk to the dealer or Yamaha inspector again.

Please, does anyone here know anyone at Yamaha who can help me out? I obviously need to get to tier 2 customer support or something. To just get flat out denied on warrantable items is insane.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So are they covering all of the items on the list except the overspray? They're not denying those too are they?

If they're saying that the dealer screwed the gel coat up, get it in writing and present it to the dealer. Then ask the dealer why the boat that you bought as "new" isn't considered as such by the manufacture. It might be worth hiring a marine inspector to try and find what damage was being hidden prior to your purchase. Honestly, I haven't heard of Yamaha ever sending out a boat with this kind of "over spray". It could've been damaged during transport and poorly repaired prior to delivery, or the dealer did try to cover up some damage too. It's impossible to say how the damage occurred, but IMHO, Yamaha has to back up a boat sold in their certified dealership as new regardless. Also Ask Yamaha where it says in their warranty that your state is excluded and what other items aren't covered on your boat that are elsewhere.

Either way, make it clear to the dealer that he should be figuring out who's going to pay for the repair (dealer or Yamaha) and not your attorney ;). I feel for you and am surprised that they're not doing whatever it takes to make it right.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So are they covering all of the items on the list except the overspray? They're not denying those too are they?

If they're saying that the dealer screwed the gel coat up, get it in writing and present it to the dealer. Then ask the dealer why the boat that you bought as "new" isn't considered as such by the manufacture. It might be worth hiring a marine inspector to try and find what damage was being hidden prior to your purchase. Honestly, I haven't heard of Yamaha ever sending out a boat with this kind of "over spray". It could've been damaged during transport and poorly repaired prior to delivery, or the dealer did try to cover up some damage too. It's impossible to say how the damage occurred, but IMHO, Yamaha has to back up a boat sold in their certified dealership as new regardless. Also Ask Yamaha where it says in their warranty that your state is excluded and what other items aren't covered on your boat that are elsewhere.

Either way, make it clear to the dealer that he should be figuring out who's going to pay for the repair (dealer or Yamaha) and not your attorney ;). I feel for you and am surprised that they're not doing whatever it takes to make it right.
@itsdgm
Thanks for your time and support.

I did get him to backpedal at the end of our conversation by doing exactly what you said. I told him that if the dealer was the one to blame, then Yamaha should step in to help me before I get my attorney involved.
Customer service rep is supposed to get to me by end of business day tomorrow with his updated findings.

I told him that I have been documenting all of this in a forum and he should at least read my post. He said he didn't have any interest in looking at it. He does not know much about boats and is more of a customer complaint taker and is obviously incompetent to be the steward of a legitimate issue that needs to be repaired. I don't think he has any idea how passionate Yamaha owners can be and how a brand image can be tarnished so easily.

The boat had a couple of chips on the center console and wavy stitching on the gunwale upholstery. He said Yamaha wasn't going to warranty those. Part of the"sun" theory or dealer responsibility.

IMG_1794.JPG

Last edited:

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AS much as I love my 2007 AR , I think this is the last Yamaha for me. The boats are super easy to work on and don't have many mechanical issues but with the current price point I can go to a Competitor and not spend much more for a better built product.
Hope everything works out for you.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
defect issues as warrantable items. His excuse for not doing so was since my boat was purchased in Arizona (super hot climate), the boat may have been uncovered and out in the sun at the dealer. And the sun caused most of the defects on the boat.
So you not suppose to have your boat in the sun? BS!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AS much as I love my 2007 AR , I think this is the last Yamaha for me. The boats are super easy to work on and don't have many mechanical issues but with the current price point I can go to a Competitor and not spend much more for a better built product.
Hope everything works out for you.
I hear those Rotax boats have no issues whatsoever, and no-problem warranty coverage. Easy peazy. ;)
I'm being obnoxious, but lets keep it real.

--

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope you get this handled. One thing that may have helped would have been to bring the boat back to the original dealer for this. I know it is far away but the current dealer where the boat is sitting is really a middle man and isn't going to pay for anything. I suspect the original dealer will want to inspect the boat if they are asked to pay for anything. If you are lucky Yamaha will cover everything and you will be able to build a relationship with your new dealer. The dealer is a critical piece and can be a great advocate for you with Yamaha. I can imagine how upset you are.

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear those Rotax boats have no issues whatsoever, and no-problem warranty coverage. Easy peazy. ;)
I'm being obnoxious, but lets keep it real.

--
I guess you missed my point in that a $ 73,000 boat should not have the quality issues that Yamaha is having. If you want to pay that much and have to fix things that the factory should have or the company warranty then go for it. It seems to me that once they came out with the 24 footers and new models that it's been issue after issue. I mean come on, the 2014's or 2015 had to have the complete dash fix because it would come loose.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess you missed my point in that a $ 73,000 boat should not have the quality issues that Yamaha is having. If you want to pay that much and have to fix things that the factory should have or the company warranty then go for it. It seems to me that once they came out with the 24 footers and new models that it's been issue after issue. I mean come on, the 2014's or 2015 had to have the complete dash fix because it would come loose.
I've had crap workmanship on $130k Mastercrafts.....every manufacture has issues.