• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pinopolis lock and Cooper River Charleston SC May 7th

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Count us in. Total of 4 in our crew. 2 adults and 2 children.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seadeals I meant to ask what kind of Sea Ray does your friend have? The reason I ask is to just make sure we do not need to call the Strawberry Bridge to have someone there to open it I believe the clearance is 11-12 foot.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am watching a you tube video of a chairity boat run that was posted in june of last year. At one point they have a view of the locks filled with boats... from the video they have 16 boats in the lock at once. And it looks like they could fit a few more in. So it doesn't look like our 9 would be a problem unless there are a lot of other boats in the area waiting as well.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also.. next year if we have this much interest again maybe would could make it a charity run of some sort.... @robert843 this your baby so not trying to over step my bounds.. just a thought.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also.. next year if we have this much interest again maybe would could make it a charity run of some sort.... @robert843 this your baby so not trying to over step my bounds.. just a thought.
@bronze_10 I think its a great idea but more work probably then I'm willing to put into it lol. This just an annual trip I do the first week of every May usually with just a few friends. If someone else wanted to make the contacts with the appropriate charities and set up the legal stuff I'm sure is involved in that process I would gladly participate in the event next year but as for setting something like that up its outside my realm of knowledge or expertise.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger.. maybe I'll open a thread about it over this coming winter and see what is involved... right now I am just ready to ride!

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dinner Update...

So good news and bad news. May 7 weekend is both Mothers Day and Graduation weekend. It is going to be slammed down there. Many places are booked already for groups, I could only find 1 place that was available for a group of our size. I am waiting to here from 1 more place that I know is large to see what they have to say tomorrow.

Bubba Gumps has a group space available. It would take a 50% deposit up front with a guarantee spend and would end up being pricey for the kids, limited menu, 1 person would have to pay upfront, etc.

Bubba Gumps actually suggested that we call in ahead of time, maybe 2 hours in advance, and make reservations. Each group doing this on their own - making your own reservation, order off the menu, pay your own check, etc. This will make the logistics a whole lot easier and let everyone do what they want that evening, maybe all meeting somewhere for dinner at your leisure at around the same time. We could wander the restaurant and hassle each other that way.

Again, I have 1 more place I am waiting to hear from, but that is where we are at so far...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the logistics for getting to the resturant? Is it a taxi ? Or can we walk or what?

Last edited:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our marina & hotel is on the WEST side of the downtown area. The main tourist area is on the other side of downtown. Not far but more than you want to walk, about 2 - 2.5 miles.. There is a bus line (free I think) that runs around down there, slow but gets there. Uber. Taxi...

There really aren't any decent restaurants that I know of near where we are staying. I assume everyone will want to see a bit of downtown and the market area while there. It's a cool area.

Get off the water at some point, clean up and head for dinner.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only decent place within walking distance of the hotel is Saffire at the Marriott. However, I'm with @waterboy if you are in Charleston you need to go the area around Market Street, King Street, and Meeting Street to get a sense of Charleston.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dinner Update...

So good news and bad news. May 7 weekend is both Mothers Day and Graduation weekend. It is going to be slammed down there. Many places are booked already for groups, I could only find 1 place that was available for a group of our size. I am waiting to here from 1 more place that I know is large to see what they have to say tomorrow.

Bubba Gumps has a group space available. It would take a 50% deposit up front with a guarantee spend and would end up being pricey for the kids, limited menu, 1 person would have to pay upfront, etc.

Bubba Gumps actually suggested that we call in ahead of time, maybe 2 hours in advance, and make reservations. Each group doing this on their own - making your own reservation, order off the menu, pay your own check, etc. This will make the logistics a whole lot easier and let everyone do what they want that evening, maybe all meeting somewhere for dinner at your leisure at around the same time. We could wander the restaurant and hassle each other that way.

Again, I have 1 more place I am waiting to hear from, but that is where we are at so far...
@waterboy did you try California Dreaming it literally right across the water from the Marina we are staying at and they do have docks. Downtown is going to be really tough for a group this size the restaurants are just small down there.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not called there, but they are a very good restaurant also.

It's graduation weekend. The whole city is going to be packed unfortunately. No one will touch a group of 50 without reserving banquet space. We are going to reserve separate tables and have a 2 hour wait no matter where you go. I was trying to get everyone downtown to enjoy the sights of down there. Waiting on a few other options though.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not called there, but they are a very good restaurant also.

It's graduation weekend. The whole city is going to be packed unfortunately. No one will touch a group of 50 without reserving banquet space. We are going to reserve separate tables and have a 2 hour wait no matter where you go. I was trying to get everyone downtown to enjoy the sights of down there. Waiting on a few other options though.
Tbonz Gill and Grill on Market street is fair in size and probably could take multiple reservation of 8. I might suggest that go ahead and pick a restaurant we believe has the size to accommodate us and several of us will call and just make reservations for 8 tops or just reservations for our individual groups as you mentioned. I don't have the count on interest on dinner but I figure if 4 or 5 of us call and make a reservation for 8 each we should be able to pull it off as long as the restaurant is large enough.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843 I know you are interested but did not get your head count. @Seadeals I have not gotten head count from you and your friend with the Sea Ray for dinner, if you are interested.

So far we are at 48 confirmed, to give you a number.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Marina Variety Store Restaurant is pretty good eating next door to City Marina but may be a bit pricier than some may wanna spend, possibly?

Last edited:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Marina Variety Store Restaurant is pretty eating next door to City Marina
Wow, nice find. Prices aren;t bad in there at all compared to downtown. Other than missing out on downtown, this is a nice find.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, nice find. Prices aren;t bad in there at all compared to downtown. Other than missing out on downtown, this is a nice find.
They said they could handle 30-35 in the bar area. Seemed eager to try an accommodate us. Took my brother to eat there when we went up for the boat show. It wasn't bad at all

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 I know you are interested but did not get your head count. @Seadeals I have not gotten head count from you and your friend with the Sea Ray for dinner, if you are interested.

So far we are at 48 confirmed, to give you a number.
Right now as far as I know I will have @tim h and his crew on my boat and 3 including me but the 3 including me are unsure if we will be able to join for dinner at this time do to various reasons if you guys get something worked out before my 3 can commit we will see if we can either jump in at the end or we will have other plans already.