• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pinopolis lock and Cooper River Charleston SC May 7th

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree this sounds best for our crowd. Let's firm up details and we'll all plan on packing a lunch!! Only potential issue is potty breaks for the girls on the trip down but we could cycle through a marina too and not all descend at once.
Alright so everyone plan to pack a lunch on your boat we will leave the actual plan of where to stop at to a day of decision as weather conditions such as the lake being rough could play a part in that. @waterboy There is a marina stop about 1-2 miles after we clear the lock and we can stop there and anyone who needs to can do that can dock and go up. The is the last facility for approx 50 miles so remind your crew of that when there.
The facility I think would work is Hidden Cove Marina which is probably the one @robert843 mentioned.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree this sounds best for our crowd. Let's firm up details and we'll all plan on packing a lunch!! Only potential issue is potty breaks for the girls on the trip down but we could cycle through a marina too and not all descend at once.
The potty breaks for my kids is my concern as well... when we stop to eat they will certainly want a potty break too... as long as we can handle that we are good for anything... either eatting before we launch and go straight to charlston or cycle through marinas.. either way..

Ronald Moore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did not realize you could tie off or beach at Fort Sumter that could be something cool to do if the weather permits. I know the conditions would dictate whether this was possible.

Fort Sumter by Private Boat
Visitors are welcome to use their private vessels (including kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, or motorboats) to access Fort Sumter during normal operating hours listed below. Visitors using their own boats are highly encouraged to beach or anchor their vessel on the western side of Fort Sumter, between the fort and James Island.

Operating Hours by Season
Fort Sumter is open year round except for New Years, Thanksgiving and Christmas Days. Hours of operation are:

• January 1 - Closed
  • January 2 - February 29 - 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM
  • March 1 - March 14 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • March 15 - August 20 - 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
  • August 21 - August 28 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • Labor Day Weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun) - 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
  • Labor Day - November 30* - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • *Thanksgiving Day - Closed
  • December 1 - 24 - 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM
  • December 25 - Closed
  • December 26 - 31 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Tour Boat Pier
The National Park Service strongly discourages anyone from tying up to the tour boat pier, however if you choose to do so please:

DO tie off to cleats attached to the pier.
DO access the pier only using the ladders.
DO NOT tie off to ladders, pillars or handrails.
DO NOT use lines already attached to the pier, these are reserved for tour boat and NPS operations.
DO NOT remove life jackets until you have safely climbed the ladders onto the pier.
DO NOT leave the access gate to the ladders open.

For the most up-to-date information on visiting Fort Sumter like us or follow us on Facebook.
I did not realize you could tie off or beach at Fort Sumter that could be something cool to do if the weather permits. I know the conditions would dictate whether this was possible.

Fort Sumter by Private Boat
Visitors are welcome to use their private vessels (including kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, or motorboats) to access Fort Sumter during normal operating hours listed below. Visitors using their own boats are highly encouraged to beach or anchor their vessel on the western side of Fort Sumter, between the fort and James Island.

Operating Hours by Season
Fort Sumter is open year round except for New Years, Thanksgiving and Christmas Days. Hours of operation are:

• January 1 - Closed
  • January 2 - February 29 - 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM
  • March 1 - March 14 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • March 15 - August 20 - 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
  • August 21 - August 28 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • Labor Day Weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun) - 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
  • Labor Day - November 30* - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
  • *Thanksgiving Day - Closed
  • December 1 - 24 - 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM
  • December 25 - Closed
  • December 26 - 31 - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

Tour Boat Pier
The National Park Service strongly discourages anyone from tying up to the tour boat pier, however if you choose to do so please:

DO NOT use lines already attached to the pier, these are reserved for tour boat and NPS operations.
DO NOT remove life jackets until you have safely climbed the ladders onto the pier.

For the most up-to-date information on visiting Fort Sumter like us or follow us on Facebook.
If you beach at Fort Sumter be very careful and pay attention to the outgoing tides. It gets shallow QUICK when the tide retreats. I seen some idiotic kids get beached there on jet skis. lol

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronald Moore I didn't think beaching would be a good idea either how is the docking situation I know it says it's not recommended but I still figured that was the best option from the map I saw the dock looks big.

Ronald Moore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronald Moore I didn't think beaching would be a good idea either how is the docking situation I know it says it's not recommended but I still figured that was the best option from the map I saw the dock looks big.
As far as I know you can not dock. The dock is for the tours only. Here is a google earth view and you can see there in really one area to beach and you can see how shallow it is. Unknown.jpeg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as I know you can not dock. The dock is for the tours only. Here is a google earth view and you can see there in really one area to beach and you can see how shallow it is. View attachment 34985
Yeah figured beaching was out for multiple reasons. The national park web site says it's a public dock and can be used you just are not allowed to dock where the ferry is assigned to park.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As @robert843 mentioned, per the Fort Sumter website it is permissible to arrive and dock via personal vessel, however, they do highly recommend that you anchor off or beach your vessel and not dock at the pier. If you choose to dock to the pier this is what they recommend:

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 and @andy07sx230ho, what is the best mode of communication for this trip? Should every boat have a vhf radio or is a cell phone sufficient? I may go ahead and pickup a handheld vhf radio but just wondering how everyone will be communicating. Can you also think of any other must haves on the boat?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 and @andy07sx230ho, what is the best mode of communication for this trip? Should every boat have a vhf radio or is a cell phone sufficient? I may go ahead and pickup a handheld vhf radio but just wondering how everyone will be communicating. Can you also think of any other must haves on the boat?
Good question! While on the water it might be easier to use VHF instead of cellphone, especially since parts of the river are very remote and might not have cell service. Of course, cell phones will have to be used while on land.

I have an extra VHF handheld radio if you want to use it instead of purchasing a new one.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know several people will have a vhf on this trip but it is not a requirement but is pretty convenient to have. Other items needed would be to make sure everything is in good working especially your bilge pump since we will be mooring over night. Anything you feel you need to securely moor your boat over night. Once we clear the locks it will be 50 miles before there is anywhere to stop for any needed items so anything you think any of your passengers will need for aprox 2-3 hours I would make sure is on the boat. Pack a lunch at least for the trip down to Charleston I anticipate to be back at Rocks Pond by noon on Sunday to give everyone plenty of time to get home so lunch may not be a necessary to have on the boat that day. If there is anyone who would like to hang around Charleston on Sunday instead of heading out early you guys maybe able to organize here and plan a little later return. The return trip is pretty easy to figure out as the river is marked fairly well coming from Charleston. I know this wont make sense but coming from the lake its not marked as well. I know its the same markers but there are a few spots on the way from the lake where the river opens up in a few spots it can get a little confusing if you dont have a gps or have never been.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So. I have never tied my boat up and left it over night... I have two fenders and 4 15 foot nylon lines... do I need to pick up something else? Are the 15 footers too short?

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an extra VHF handheld radio if you want to use it instead of purchasing a new one.
Thanks for the offer...but I think I will go ahead and pick one up. I should have one on the boat anyway even just for the NOAA weather channels if for no other reason. It will be good to have even on our lake.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So. I have never tied my boat up and left it over night... I have two fenders and 4 15 foot nylon lines... do I need to pick up something else? Are the 15 footers too short?
Your lines should be fine. 2 bumpers will likely be enough but I will use three just as an extra measure but by no means required..

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For head counts, Rapid Decompression will now have (edited) 6 and Hokie Pokey (the Sea Ray) will have 5. @waterboy I too will need to dock for a quick potty break for the girls before hitting the Cooper River section. We will plan to pack the lunch as suggested.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho I was thinking about this the other day with 10 boats committed should we consider two launch times to get through the lock and all meet at the river? The locks web site says it can accommodate 12 16 ft boats at a time so I'm assuming we would either take up the entire lock or maybe not even fit all of us in one trip. I'm open to suggestions on this one this group is just bigger then any I have done the trip with my largest venture on this trip was 4 boats and one ski 3 years ago. IF we did two launch times I would suggest 10am and 11am. If we did it this way I would just take a brief survey of who though they could be in the water and launched by 10am and those traveling further or with restrictions to launch at 11am. I'm ok if everyone would prefer to try and stick together but it would be under the possibility some boats may have to wait for a second trip down the lock.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since we are coming down the night before, we could easily do a 10 am launch if needed. I would just want someone with us who is familiar with the route. I have GPS/sounder but my friend does not so we will definitely stick together.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If we go together and some can't fit in the lock how long will they have to wait for the lock to cycle? If it's 10 min it won't be bad.. if it is an hour that would suck.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If we go together and some can't fit in the lock how long will they have to wait for the lock to cycle? If it's 10 min it won't be bad.. if it is an hour that would suck.
It would be 40-60 minutes yes but in full disclosure if we all get there and the lock just closed that is how long the wait will be. If we get even just 3-4 boats to go early we will be good. @Seadeals let me talk to the rest of the people with me and if they are good to depart at 10am we will. We can then meet everyone at a restaurant or Marina at the bottom of the lock or stop somewhere for lunch on the river and meet everyone.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the biggest help would be to stagger the launch times at Rocks Pond since that is a relatively small ramp facility.

After everyone has launched, ideally I would like to stay together as a group and only if we are forced to break into temporary smaller groups do so. However, I'm be good with whatever.

Cindy and I will probably be at the ramp close to 10 am but the rest of my crew is coming from Jacksonville, NC with plans to leave early enough Sat morning to be at the ramp by 10:30. My boat will be in the water waiting on their arrival.