• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plz tell me this is suppose to be there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So update. Dealer has offered to tear up my check if I want to go that route. I've been assured by multiple people that this will be repaired in less than 3 days if I want to keep the boat. It will be guaranteed. It is going in as a non sold boat repair. (Manufacturer defect). They are sending someone up to pick up the boat and return it to me. They say it's an easy fix only in the gel coat and not the hull. This repair will be documented and have a paper trail incase any issues from it come up in the future. (My thoughts) First off I'm frustrated. Spent $40k plus on brand new boat and this happens. I was literally downstairs getting my cobra steering and guide poles to put on when dad found this. 2nd if I return this I won't have a boat till next summer, I've already been waiting 6 months. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks in advance
As many others have said....go over that boat with fine tooth comb NOW (assuming they haven't already picked it up). And give them a list of all the things you can find like:
  • Anchor locker drain - is it solid and all the way through to the locker...if not tell them to fix it while they have it
  • Any other gel coat scratches?
  • Have them install your fins and guide poles - tell them - well I was going to do that, but you took the boat!
  • Anything else you want installed? Get them to pony up now!
  • I like the idea of the extended warranty - did you buy it already?
  • Any Yamaha accessories you want at cost - now is the time to squeeze for them! That is an easy win for Yamaha and you.
I hope they take care of this quickly. Sounds like they are stepping up to do the right thing.....but time is of the essence.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
As many others have said....go over that boat with fine tooth comb NOW (assuming they haven't already picked it up). And give them a list of all the things you can find like:
  • Anchor locker drain - is it solid and all the way through to the locker...if not tell them to fix it while they have it
  • Any other gel coat scratches?
  • Have them install your fins and guide poles - tell them - well I was going to do that, but you took the boat!
  • Anything else you want installed? Get them to pony up now!
  • I like the idea of the extended warranty - did you buy it already?
  • Any Yamaha accessories you want at cost - now is the time to squeeze for them! That is an easy win for Yamaha and you.
I hope they take care of this quickly. Sounds like they are stepping up to do the right thing.....but time is of the essence.
I dont know if i trust a dealer that couldnt do a basic PDI to install stuff lol. I guess im just gun shy now after my experience, and the fact Im more than capable to do myself.

Hopefully they make more than right thru this all, its shitty that he has to live with the pressure that they will just sell it to someone else so quickly.

deubank444

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Did you have snaps installed for a snap-on cover? Maybe you lost a snap?

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

tyler1408

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The dealer is picking the boat up Tuesday, it is getting contracted out to a fiberglass shop in OKC. I told them today it is 100% not a gel coat issue, that I could run my pinky clear up in the hole if I wanted. They've assured me they will make it right after I told them I don't pay $1500 in dealer prep fees for this to be missed. I also thought it would be a good idea to reach out to Yamaha directly, and let me tell you that was a complete waste of time. All the lady had to say was talk to the dealer. Didn't want the Vin, to know what dealership it was, or any other information. Has any one else had dealings with Yamaha? Is this normal? I figured they would at least be interested that their brand new boat had a hole from the manufacturer.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They, Yamaha, already knows, if they are watching. You should post a video of sticking your pinky or a measured stick with inch marks on here showing it is thru the hull and left the factory that way, as well as the dealer after paying a rediculous prep fee. Public shaming might work, but wait until after they pay for the repair. And do not sign any stupid release.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The dealer is picking the boat up Tuesday, it is getting contracted out to a fiberglass shop in OKC. I told them today it is 100% not a gel coat issue, that I could run my pinky clear up in the hole if I wanted. They've assured me they will make it right after I told them I don't pay $1500 in dealer prep fees for this to be missed. I also thought it would be a good idea to reach out to Yamaha directly, and let me tell you that was a complete waste of time. All the lady had to say was talk to the dealer. Didn't want the Vin, to know what dealership it was, or any other information. Has any one else had dealings with Yamaha? Is this normal? I figured they would at least be interested that their brand new boat had a hole from the manufacturer.
@Yamaha is this how you're treating customers now?

@ the OP - get that f'ing dealer prep fee back from them. They didn't do it, so why are you paying for it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So how are they accessing the inside of the hull to do the repair? Is that area accessible? I doubt it. I'm curious to how they plan to repair that hole from the outside in. I'm guessing a drill bit went a little too far.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guys, come on! This is the new anchor locker drain design. What comes in must go out duh! :D

But seriously WTF :bag::banhappy:o_O

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait till you get the satisfaction survey and add your grievances there. Might not do much, but its better than nothing.
With todays climate with boats and stuff, the dealer has plenty of people lined up to take that same boat. Our options are limited at this point unfortunately and they know it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
PMing you some direct contact info to Yamaha.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
As long as its going to a reputable fiberglass repair shop it will most likely be done correctly and be as good as new. If it was me I'd ask the name of the shop its going to and make sure it is a reputable shop and maybe even get in contact with the shop about the repair. And as others have said, I'd keep pushing them on that prep fee - we all know it is a BS fee at most dealers but this exposes that fact, they didn't do the prep work, at least not thoroughly - I'm no lawyer but I'd think you have legal grounds to stand on to that fact.

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In looking at the first outside picture, is that some rub marks or damage on the edge of the white gelcoat right near the gray? And up on highest gray edge some other issue I'm seeing where it rounds towards center of your boat? Hope I'm just seeing things.

tyler1408

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
In looking at the first outside picture, is that some rub marks or damage on the edge of the white gelcoat right near the gray? And up on highest gray edge some other issue I'm seeing where it rounds towards center of your boat? Hope I'm just seeing things.
That was just dirt and grim from the haul home. It was raining on the way home then stopped so I got all the crud from the road on there. I've thoroughly gone over this boat multiple times since finding this and everything else seems to check out good.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yup, keeping my Problem free 2013. Keep us posted how it goes. I hope you will be out on the water making memories with those boys soon