• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Powder coated nozzle/gate?

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep no magnesium in salt water. Aluminum or zinc in all. Note: our pump housings, gates and housings included are clear anodized aluminum castings. So the protective layer is basically aluminum oxide coated with a nickle seal and final hot seal to protect from UV breakdown. It is very important not to use any solvent based cleaners on these components. The final seal will be compromised in the process and the protective layer will break down in UV.
When I polished mine I had to strip the Anodize off, bead blast and then prep and polish. PPG 8886 silver and then finished with Akzo Nobel 4400 low gloss polyester clear powder. These things are basically encased in clear polyester. They should hold up the the harsh freshwater environment. I hope any way. That clear is hell to get off.
I'll keep you posted.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@justason That anode in the pic looks brand new.
An anode that needs to be replaced will look as if mice ate it for a day; full of holes and uneven surfaces.

Here's a chart to help you decide what kind if anode to install. Personally, we use zincs on all of our big boats that live in the salt. Aluminum will last longer but I'm under the understanding that zinc protects a tad better in pure salt.

• Zinc Alloy Anodes = Salt water only
    • Not recommended for use in fresh water
  • Aluminum Alloy Anodes = Salt or Brackish water
    • Not recommended for use in fresh water
    • Proven to last longer than zinc due to increased capacity
  • Magnesium Alloy Anodes = Fresh water only
    • Not recommended for use in salt or brackish water
    • The only alloy proven to protect your boat in fresh water

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To my knowledge there are at least three different anodes on my boat (on each engine/pump). But I'm sure there could be more.

1. On the pump (as pictured above
  2. Somewhere in the cooling system. I don't have a pic, and I've never seen one myself first hand. But somebody did post pics of it a while back.
  3. On the "ride plate". pictured below.

Hope this helps you guys out.
Anode.JPG

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To my knowledge there are at least three different anodes on my boat (on each engine/pump). But I'm sure there could be more.

2. Somewhere in the cooling system. I don't have a pic, and I've never seen one myself first hand. But somebody did post pics of it a while back.

View attachment 3069
THAT'S the one I was thinking of! I thought it was on the intake grate though...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi Murf. I agree the anodes dont look bad, They were factory shiny when I put her in the Atlantic for 5 days last year. I was surprised how much it corroded in that time. My Waverunner didnt have an anode when i did a day in Beaufort last year....The nozzles are still pitted and hard to scrape clean. I've since drilled and added a few anodes to her.

@Lspeedss Those gates look GREAT !! I've been sketching in my mind a way to inlay the yamaha logo int the gates finish. 2 coats or an overlay of sorts..... NICE JOB

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any know what grade of aluminum anodes should be?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I learned something there too about the aluminum anodes. Had to look it up. It is an aluminum, zinc, and indium alloy. The electrical activity of it is higher than zinc which is why it works so well. Normal aluminum is lower which is why I was stumped over using aluminum for anodes.

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've seen a few images of powder coated nozzles and gates. Anyone here? Happy with the results?
I'm never done powder coating myself but I believe it is pretty straight forward ?? Any threats to be made aware of ?

I was working on the boat last night and as a result I found some corrosion on the nozzles and general wear started to catch my eye the closer I looked. Considering something to dress it up..any other options?

Also the clearance holes shown on the side are duplicated on the other side, and a few along the rear surface. Should I JBWELD these back to a solid? Can they be noodled?

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 2584
I had my nozzles/gates powdercoated mat black; I really like the look of them. I also had the Cobra fin holes like you, and filled them with marine JB as you mentioned and they came out nice.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 3069
And the older boats don't have them on the pump. There are anodes in the cooling system.....part #13 in this diagram.

View attachment 3182