• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Prepping for long distance tow to Florida

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
RRR can get confusing on the ICW as it is "Return" to the nearest port....so what do they do when you are between ports? Use a GPS and eyeball the tracks before going out.

And take lots of pics and post them!!! (you need a avatar photo) :)

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be sure to check out the Green Flash restaurant in South Captiva for the best Margaritas on the water... Lol...
That sounds good. That's why I am bringing my 20 yeo son. He will be the designated Captain!!

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
RRR can get confusing on the ICW as it is "Return" to the nearest port....so what do they do when you are between ports? Use a GPS and eyeball the tracks before going out.

And take lots of pics and post them!!! (you need a avatar photo) :)
Thank you @Julian , I thought I updated my avatar yesterday but didn't realize it didn't post. Got it now.
I have a chart plotter and an iPad with Navionics so I will utilize those for sure!

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was boating in Cape coral / ft Meyers beach / Sanibel for a few days and it was nerve wrecking. I realize we have shallow drafts but even with a plotter it was hard to follow the channel in some areas between Sanibel Island and Cape coral (matlacha pass area).

We had fun but ran into some good 3 footers towards the top of Sanibel. Also note that a lot of the bridges are less than 8' clearance at high tide (like the cut in sanibel) and you'd have to lower the tower to pass.

Let me know how it goes. We were looking primarily for places to live so boating was only 2 out of the 5 days we were down there.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@steined , thanks and good to know. I felt that way when in Marco Island too. The channel markers are sometimes so hard to see, it's hard to tell what side you are supposed to be on. I always tried following another boat (outdrive) and mark it on the plotter so I know the next time.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
just a heads up on the "feel the bearing buddy and if its hot" test. its very good EXCEPT on the hub on each side with the brake! Youre driving down the interstate at 70-80mph, pull off for fuel, pit stop, ect. You hit the exit ramp and hit the brakes, the trailer brakes engage. You then within 1 minute typically pull into a station, hop out, get gas pump going.... feel a hub that's HOT! Check the other side, one on that side is hot also and think omg!

They will be hot, its residual heat from braking. As long is it doesn't burn you, youre fine. One of the hubs will be warm/hot to the touch, the other will be hot almost to the point you cant grab it for more than a few seconds without it being very uncomfortable. Just have to learn whats too hot. A good indication, you see wisps of smoke, or streaks of grease (grease got hot enough to turn to liquid). then check things!

Hope this helps

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
just a heads up on the "feel the bearing buddy and if its hot" test....They will be hot, its residual heat from braking. As long is it doesn't burn you, youre fine...
This is a great use for a non-contact laser-guided infrared thermometer. Cool tool to have for lots of things including false/legit engine overheat warnings, the AC starting to go out in your car or house...never tried it on the water for a water temp...hmmmm.